Songs With Growling Vocals?

Guest zmzz43

I know a few entertainers like Sly Stone, Stevie Wonder and Charlie Wilson are capeable of these awesome, monsterous growling vocals ( i.e. Charlie Wilson on "Burn Rubber" Sly Stone at the end of "Hot Fun in the Summertime" and Stevie Wonder during the second half of "As".) Female artists like Blue Cantrell, Whitney Houston and Maria Carrey also used the growling technique. I was wondering if anyone knew of other artists who employed it. I like that kind of thing and was looking for more songs or artists using that technique, preferably alot.

Social source share

A common style on R&B and soul records, done well adds a great lift, done poorly and it sounds false to my ears. A good example of a great deliverer is Buddy Lamp, especially I Want To Go Home.

Social source share

Some of those examples are more akin to belting/screaming. Looking for that Charlie Wilson type delivery or Stevie wonder like "As" or "Living in the City" and preferably from the 80s. I know a lot of growling vocalists did that shtick around that time. D-train does it one time on "Something's on your mind" but I'm looking for a song where it's prevalent.

Edited by zmzz43
Social source share

I just had another thought. It's almost like a vibrato growl. Blu Cantrell does it in "I'll find a way" right after "Precious love I've lost... YEAAAAAAAAAAH, YEAHHHH!" The yeah yeahs are the vibrato growl I'm speaking of if that makes any sense.

Social source share

I used to call the "growling" burning soul-that moment when you hear the vocal and it completely blows you away-that's the power of soul music-(when you hear it you feel it( lol.

Try Love Peace and Happiness "Strip me Naked" that male vocal kills me especially at the end

ATB

Mick x

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

The lady who went around feeling every guy's dick at the Apollo?

"eat it before you beat it"  the dirty'ist bitch ever, love her.

god could she work an audiance

Social source share

IDK that I'd call it wailing here. Also if you've ever heard "So Emotional" and I'm sure you have, you'll be familiar with the ending and right after that long, sustained "Emotionaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..." thing she does, she absolutely growls "LOVE CAN DO" and hits it a second time growling "Oooo" before growling out the same three words as before. That's what I was looking for. Some of these suggestions came close, but they were still more of a raunchy, rough sound.

Here she does it at 3:22 and 3:38-3:40. Another good one at 4:14.

Edited by zmzz43
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

First thing that sprung to mind:

Nice example Wang dang doodle and Spoonfull just two blues  examples of him doing his thing

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!