Acetates And Test Pressings + Updated List

Karlm

I have a bunch of test presses and acetates for sale, 19 to be exact. Artists like Arthur Conley, Ike & Tina Turner, Joe Tex, Eddie Floyd, Aretha Franklin, Ann Peebles, Hank Jacobs and Johnnie Taylor. See pics for details.  Conditions range from VG to EX, most are nice in the VG+/EX range and should play well.

Not sure how to price these and if there's any demand so will sell all of them in one lot. Taking bids starting with £40 and end bidding on Sunday evening. For bids and questions just PM me.

Below is my January 2015 list updated with sold items removed.

(soundfiles + info on grading, shipping costs etc go to https://karlmarthon.wordpress.com/2015/01/28/january-2015-record-sales/

Modern Soul/Disco/2 step 45’s

K. McArthur - Give me your love - Sagittarius / EX / £40 (Rare Boston, Mass. modern soul dancer.)

Johnny White & the Elite Band - You - Elite / EX / £10 (1985 boogie dancer on this T-Jaye distributed label.)

Gwen McCrae - Funky sensation - Atlantic / VG+ / £10 (Classic! Inaudible jukebox swirl on flip, comes with jukebox sticker. Plays well.)

Kwick - Nightlife - EMI America / EX / £5 (Popular boogie, complete with company sleeve. B-side has sticker.)

Manhattans - Crazy - Columbia / VG+ / £5 (Not rare but a great boogie dancer. Inaudible jukebox swirl on flipside.)

Latimore - Sweet vibrations / Somethin’ ‘bout ‘cha - Glades / VG / £5 (Classic double header, two step backed with a midtempo modern soul dancer. Record has jukebox swirl and an overall dull look but plays well. Comes with jukebox strip.)

Northern/Crossover/Ballad 45’s

Dewey Jeffries - When no one cared - Gary-Dew / EX / £225 (1972 jazzy crossover dancer. Great and rare.)

Hank Jacobs and Don Malone — The world needs changin’ — Call Me / VG+ / £80 (Obscure and great 70’s soul with a message. Recently comped by Ace. Just shy of EX with a few light superficial marks, plays well.)

Benny Clark’s Blues Band - Lasting love - Fair Play / EX / £60 (Rare and great crossover on the same LA label as the Justice Department 45.)

Lost Souls - I’m your love, man - Glasco / EX / £45 (Their second seldom seen Glasco 45, a good group vocal northern soul dancer.)

Jimmy Jones — Yesterday’s mistakes — Twinight / VG+ / £30 (White promo copy, writing on label. Some light marks, plays ok.)

Cornelius & Carol - So I can love you - Entertainment Enterprises/ EX / £25 (Very soulful duet slowie out of South Carolina.)

Johnny Otis Show feat. Barbara Morrison - Hey boy! I want ya’ - Jazz World / EX / £20 (A bit underlooked midtempo dancer that sounds the business 3 am on any dancefloor.)

Denise Chandler - Love is tears - Lock / VG+ / £15 (Lovely Chicago double header. Vinyl is clean but look cloudy due to teflon treatment.)

Young Hearts - Count down (Here I come) - Minit / VG+ / £10 (Vinyl DJ copy of this nice northern soul dancer.)

Willie Tee - I’d give it to you / Look out world - United Artist / EX / £10 (Rare issue copy with two decent sides of his Anticipation album. Sadly not as good as his Gatur output but likely rarer than most of it.)

Four Tempos - Come on home - Rampart / EX / £10 (Miracles soundalike out of LA.)

Main Ingredient - Looks like rain / California my way - Rca / EX / £8 (Two classics off the Euphraties River album.)

Marvin Gaye - Come get to this - Tamla / VG+ / £5 (Essential dancer. Old jukebox copy, plays well.)

Soul Albums

Danny Dee - Movin' in - Harper / EX/EX / £250 (The super rare release of the Lil Albert album. Killer midtempo tracks in "Outrageous", "Who do the voodoo", "My girl Friday". And my fave, the stepper-ish "Movin' in". Super clean vinyl, sleeve in shrink. A far lesser condition copy sold on eBay a few days ago at $511.)

Superior Elevation - Get it don’t stop - Black Satin / S/S / £200 (Still sealed copy of this rare 1982 album. Including the mellow dancer “Don’t let go babe”, the two stepper “(It was) September” + a bunch of boogie/funk numbers.)

Estiban - L.A. walk - EL / EX/EX / £40 (Obscure Canadian release with the Bill Wither-ish “A star in the ghetto” and the dancer “Come to me”.)

James Polk & Co - You know the feeling - Trilogy / S/S / £35 (Perfect sealed copy! “My sun” + “You know the feeling” superb modern soul with a fusion feel.)

Rufus Lumley - s/t - Rca / EX/EX / £25 (1968 album with the album only northern dancer “Stronger than me”.)

High Fashion - Feelin’ lucky - Capitol / EX/EX / £15 (Classic 80’s album filled with boogie dancers and the 2 stepper “I want to be your everything”.)

Jazz Albums

Johnny Griffin - Lady heavy bottom's waltz - Vogue / VG+/EX / £90 (1969 German original. Complete with company inner sleeve. Vinyl has some light marks but plays well.)

Jerome Richardson - Going to the movies - United Artist Jazz / EX/VG / £50 (Classic jazz dance in "No problem". Mono copy. Cover looks good but both parts of the upper and lower seams suffers from partial splits.)

Marva Josie - This is... - Thimble / EX/EX / £25 ("He does it better" - classic vocal jazz. Cover still in shrink but has cut corner.)

Roy Brooks - The free slave - Muse / EX/EX / £25 (One of the more collectible titles on this label, both rare and good.)

Irene Kral - Kral space - Catalyst / EX/EX / £20 (Superb vocal jazz, with "Wheelers and dealers" etc.)

Jazz 45’s

Bill Henderson - Senor blues - Blue Note / VG+ / £60 (The indemand vocal version of the Horace Silver classic. Vinyl looks a little dull but plays well.)

Billy Taylor with Four Flutes - Koolbongo - Riverside / VG+ / £45 (Best song of album with the same name as the artist.)

Ornette Coleman - Man on the moon - Impulse / EX / £45 (White demo copy of this superb indemander.)

Billy Ver Planck Orchestra - Senor Blues - Savoy / VG+ /£30 (Superb suggestive version on a very rare 45. Promo stamp on label. Vinyl has a few light sleeve marks, plays well.)

Teddy Edwards - Nothin' but the truth - Prestige / EX / £25 (1967 jazz dancer which is rare on 45. Promo copy with two X written on label with thin ballpoint pen.)

Chico Hamilton - Forest flowers Pt. 1 / Pt. 2 - Impulse / EX / £10 (White demo copy.)

post-1431-0-46895300-1422555333_thumb.jp

post-1431-0-06576700-1422555335_thumb.jp

post-1431-0-56392800-1422555336_thumb.jp

post-1431-0-06894400-1422555338_thumb.jp

post-1431-0-57059400-1422555339_thumb.jp

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 0
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic