simon t

School Reunions?

We had a couple - got about 20 of us out each time. Interesting to see how everyone has gone in very different directions with their lives. Initially interesting, but we ran out of steam as many of us didn't have a lot in common….Lots of beer, all friendly though.

We tried to get Guy Hands out - he was in my class at school and easily the most successful of us all despite being academically average he went onto Oxford and the world of high finance - but the nearest we got was a reply from one of his PA's saying he was travelling but he wished us all a "good night"../..Ha ha! 

It's always seemed a bit sad to me. I've had a couple of invites but couldn't be bothered. Isn't it always attended by people trying to justify their current existence to school friends they felt inadequate around?

I agree with Steve, the ones who have nothing to prove don't attend. If you don't go Simon they'll think you've been a success. :thumbsup:

I didn't like the prog rock loving twats that I went to school with and don't want to be remembered by them,

That's funny! I was thinking along the lines of 'Great Coat' wearing ***ts who I'd gladly dispatch up the stairway to heaven!

I agree with Steve, the ones who have nothing to prove don't attend. If you don't go Simon they'll think you've been a success. :thumbsup:

Of the 100 plus there'd be only 3 I'd want to see and one of them is a Professor at Oxford now - he hasn't replied

I went to a Grammar School that was full of long haired hippie types,

Now come on, be honest, there were some nice looking hippie/prog rock chicks, and quite "liberated" for the time if you get my drift :D That encouraged me along to a few prog rock discos. :yes:

Mind you went to one where the DJ could have been the template for Neil in the Young Ones. At one point he was nearly despairing "Come on, I play some great music and the dance floor's empty" That was at the end of a 14 minute Pink Floyd track with a 3 minute drum solo. Happy days.

If it wasn't too much hassle to get there I might be tempted to go to the school reunion. You hate it after 5 mins you just leave.

Edited by MBarrett

still mates with all my mates from school. going to football with one in half an hour and beers with another after.

if my school was anything to go by, its all the tw+ts who attended, looking at FB.

maybe they were all saying, glad those tw'ts never showed up to our event. ie me and mine. 

didnt like them then, maybe would now, would try if forced into the position but not bothered enough to actively find out. 

My old school has had a few reunions. Never went to any of them though. Now if the Ditton youth club ( Widnes) did, that would be a different matter altogether. Had some great northern nights there , with mates that are still on the scene now. Karen Mellor where are you ?

Steve

Went to a reunion maybe 4-5 years back with Souljer6 on here celebrating 50 years since school opened.

We got told off for talking when we should have been listening to current headmistress giving a welcoming speech. Rather ironic as on my first day there I got told off for talking in assembly.

Went downhill from there. We only knew one other guy there who was in our year. Spent most of time outside having a fag behind the bike sheds.

Surprised I didn't get detention !

Multiple likes for Simon T and Tattoo Dave comments. My experience exactly, in fact I'm sure we were banned from "common room" for arguments re Led Zepp crap they always had on. They were all into John Peel show. It was bloody awful whenever I had a go at listening to it back in 69-71.

ROD

We tried to get Guy Hands out - he was in my class at school and easily the most successful of us all despite being academically average he went onto Oxford and the world of high finance - but the nearest we got was a reply from one of his PA's saying he was travelling but he wished us all a "good night"../..Ha ha! 

Glad I wasn't there. Guy Hands wrecked the last remaining UK record company (EMI Records) which has now been absorbed into the sprawling U.S. giant Universal. He was hopeless.......

Ian D  :D

Glad I wasn't there. Guy Hands wrecked the last remaining UK record company (EMI Records) which has now been absorbed into the sprawling U.S. giant Universal. He was hopeless.......

Ian D  :D

:thumbsup:

went to one about 15yrs ago...had a good laugh.... and some of the plain janes from school turned out to be stunners...got really really pissed,  was in the middle of jury duty and  the following morning in the court was a hell of a morning....

I was invited to my high school class' 50th graduation anniversary a few years ago.  The event would have cost me $50 US, and the plane fare from Schipol to Chicago in the highest part of the high season would have cost me at least €1,700 -1,800.  Plus, perhaps another $500 US sundry trip costs, just to see which of my 600 classmates have survived to date, and are presentable enough to "show themselves", and had done well enough in life to not be embarrassed.  No thanks!  No, I don't use social media.  But that's because adding that to my spending much time on Internet fora would surely get me so far behind in my work that I'd lose all my clients and become a street person.  THEN, I would show up at my  reunions (and every reunion I could find (to poach the "free" eats! :lol:

Trouble is that people have moved on from when you knew them at school , If you dont know many that are going you could just be meeting up with people with the only thing in common is that you used to share a room with them 30 years ago

Someone is proposing to have a school reunion as we'll all be 50 this year Anybody been to one and had a good time? I'd envisage a mass brawl breaking out!

Our school got demolished before we could hold one :(  I reckon would be great go if there is one :thumbsup:

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.