Soul Nights - Dwindling Attendances?

Went to a cracking Soul night in Spondon, Derby, last night run by Colin Brown & Brian Goucher.

It was held at The Crown Inn.... a really 'tight' back room gig with Dancefloor, Stage, good Sound System, well stocked bar, more than ample seating... the works.

A bit like the Canal Tavern at Thorne all those years ago!

The line up included Brian himself and Fish with an absolutely superb guest set from... all the way from Lincoln... Andy "Tats" Taylor.

Sadly, attendance was low, and although a good night was had by all I was wondering if attendances are suffering (or not what they should be) elsewhere.

Do me a favour... What's the attendance at your 'regular' Soul Night these days and what's the music policy?

I'm not thinking about Niters, necessarily, but more about your regular monthly do!

The reason I ask is, every time I go out to a gig I'm asked "When are you guys starting up 'Pitches' again?"

Just thought I'd do a little research.

So what's happening out there?

Many thanks in advance.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

• Replies 115
  • Views 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Its the last one of ours tonight...not promoters fault ,,, the hotel has been taken over.

Having said that its got from being a monthly do to bi-monthly and think the guy has just lost heart. Have been when there has only been bout 15 peeps there including djs etc

People that go are mainly locals who don't really travel too far from home Don't want to knock the guy who runs them but it got to the point he didnt even advertise who was on as he reckoned it wouldnt make any difference :lol: Oh yeh location of sunny Bournemouth

Social source share

Can't only say what's happened at nights i've attended occaisonaly over the last two years:

Soulsville closed due to low attendances - across the board music - Leeds

Ponds Forge - attendance seems to have dropped over the last 12 months - across the board policy - Sheffield

No More Doggin - gone up slightly - 60s Soul and R&B - Thringstone

The Hideaway - consistantly packed - Early Soal and R&B - Manchester

Social source share

Guest markmtfc

I think that should be obvious, too many venues, on at the same time. There is nothing worse than turning up to a venue thats got no atmosphere, and too little people in there to create one.

The other thing is, if you go to two or three in a month with a very poor attendance you then become less likely to try somewhere new, to be faced with the same problem, particularly if you have travelled any sort of distance.

If you look back over the years the scene always had a so called main nighter each month such as wigan, stafford, ect ect, that dosent seam to be the case anymore, I dont know why, but the scene has diversified so much now, its hard to know if you could keep a crowd happy all nite.

Just my opinion

Social source share

Went to a cracking Soul night in Spondon, Derby, last night run by Colin Brown & Brian Goucher.

It was held at The Crown Inn.... a really 'tight' back room gig with Dancefloor, Stage, good Sound System, well stocked bar, more than ample seating... the works.

The line up included Brian himself and Fish with an absolutely superb guest set from... all the way from Lincoln... Andy "Tats" Taylor.

Sadly, attendance was low, and although a good night was had by all I was wondering if attendances are suffering (or not what they should be) elsewhere.

Do me a favour... What's the attendance at your 'regular' Soul Night these days and what's the music policy?

I'm not thinking about Niters, necessarily, but more about your regular monthly do!

The reason I ask is, every time I go out to a gig I'm asked "When are you guys starting up 'Pitches' again?"

Many thanks in advance.

Sean Hampsey

At Pilsley the average number I would say over the past 4 years has been 100-120 with the obvious peaks and troughs throughout the year due to different 'specials' being on etc. Our policy is mainly lesser known oldies, across the board, current stuff. An eclectic mix you might say. I would agree though that in general at the venues we attend numbers are not what they were and I would also agree that this is down to too many run on the same night, some though would say that this gives people a greater choice and diversity is not a bad thing but it does detract from the atmosphere if everyones rattling about in a big hall though. For us the number we get is enough to create that atmosphere due to the size of the venue.

Cheers

Social source share

Not a lot you can do really..The age of the soul punter is going up and up and not enough new blood coming through..Quite simple really,get it while you can because more and more clubs will be closing in the coming year....So many club nights over the last few years,something had to give...We have so many nights in Greater Manchester every month,i would think 15 or more,somethings got to give...

Social source share

Many thanks in advance.

Sean Hampsey

Hi Sean

Just wondered if this low attendance is down to the fact that this night has been held during the summer holidays?

I have stopped putting on events during July & August for a good few years now, as when I did they were always the lowest attended.

Just a thought mate.

Cheers

Paddy

Social source share

Hi Sean

Can only speak from the "modern" perspective but here in the Midlands numbers whilst not 'flourishing' are never the less pretty consistant. Colin Curtis has worked hard to build up a really good following in his modern room at Ilkeston ..Fish always attracts healthy numbers at The Bass Museum events ,both venues being pretty diverse and emcompassing quality all era soul from 70ts to now ,the clientele are very friendly at both places. I havent been to Mark Randle's Soul Purpose events but I believe that he is building up a nice following there too . My own venue Soul Underground has managed to stay pretty consistant and healthy for the 5 years we were housed at The Wharf and last month saw us move home to a new venue and thankfully there was no downturn in numbers through the door although I accept that there's always going to be a "curiosity" element at a Launch Party and the next one will be far more telling ..however there are some pics here so you can see its very busy :

www.clubphoto.com_cgi-bin/app.pl/albums/large_image_view?id=4622407&link_code=sa01_17

Finally Neil Rushton has a very well attended night at The Boiler Room in Birminghams Jewellary Quarter and like Soul Underground this event concentrates on up-front and cutting edge quality modern soul .

I have to say both Neil and myself attract numbers from people on and off the soul scene so its a combination of travelling soulies from all over the UK but with a nice local following of non soulies complimenting that due to the diverse choice of music we offer, but the blend works well with a very friendly clientele and there's always a good atmosphere thanks to the quality tunes from the very best UK (and beyond ) modern DJ's and collectors .

Lin

www.soul-underground.co.uk

Social source share

Not a lot you can do really..The age of the soul punter is going up and up and not enough new blood coming through..Quite simple really,get it while you can because more and more clubs will be closing in the coming year....So many club nights over the last few years,something had to give...We have so many nights in Greater Manchester every month,i would think 15 or more,somethings got to give...

Steve,

Iam mainly a Allnighter fan,Ive always siad that Soul Nights Are like kissing your sister,its not the real thing.

Regards-Kev.

Social source share

We don't attend any do monthly... although we get out to lots - some only annually.

But this is the quietest time of the year, so attendances must be at their lowest about now. It also makes sense for anyone thinking of closing down, doing it about now. (There do seem to be a noticible number tho'.) Perhaps with all the new fears with flying, the money and the punters may stay in the uk more in the future? :lol:

Anyway, I like the diversity of the scene - I adore only two decades of soul, but like it well mixed and varied for my high. Sadly, some really good nights are quiet - but obviously that's because what I think is good, isn't everyone's cup of tea (I don't get 'tea' :) ). It's interesting when people judge a soul night more on who was there, buzzing on lots of chat rather than what was played. Then again, I've seen some major hype about some nights on this list, but wonder if I was really there when I attend and see a small group. Then there's always those oldies nights that are lock-outs with more progressive nights struggling nearby... many have tried to crack that egg.

Maybe any changes in attendances aren't social/economic/demographic. Maybe the scene is finally becoming primarily disposable, rather than generally being loyal to a particular club?

...dunno, just felt like a waffle

m

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

yep numbers in scotland seem to be consisently going down . at basics we do ok although our last attendance was down also with clashes etc

Edited by dundeedavie
Social source share

Many thanks for the comments so far.

What I'm intersted to know is not so much 'why' various Soul nights attendances are dwindling - if indeed they are at all - after all, I feel that all venues have a life span or life cycle of sorts, having been involved with various hot promotions over the years... that eventually went cold - but more about whats happening at your local gig, right now (this year) in terms of actual numbers through the door.

So, what I would really like to know is...

what's the average attendance?

whats the music policy?

where is the venue (location)?

Scientific huh?

Many thanks again

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

Hi sean

Think the Pilsley post answers your questions. Is that ok for a start??

Thank you Bridget,

Your post was quite perfect, as were the others thus far.

I dont think I asked my burning questions clearly enough in the first place.

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Thank you Bridget,

Your post was quite perfect, as were the others thus far.

I dont think I asked my burning questions clearly enough in the first place.

Sean

Here at pilsley we suffered during last year due to to many of the same tunes being played each month, usually due to requests and a mind set from others that that was what the northern scene was about. the result was people started complaining about it and stopped coming so we took some drastic action and the promoters went back to their original idea of playing a good mix, mainly oldies with a large sprinkling of tunes not played so often (not rare) Motown and current spins. the result was a dramatic increase in numbers taking us back to what we had been prior to mid 2005 and more.

maybe promoters should look at the music policy if things aren't what they used to be, having said that a good atmosphere is essential and you want your punters to go home wanting to come back next month.

Social source share

Hi Sean,

Didn't know owt about The Derby venue, sound like a cracking night music wise, shame about attendance :lol:

Personally think there are too many events on now, many sub standard, many dj's substandard too with no imagination. It's certainly put me off Soul Nights and I'm now very choosey as to what soul nights I do go to.

Went to Lowton last week, first time in few months, was regular before that and attendances still seem pretty good with a good record bar too.

Don't really go local either these days although must check out the Attic at Mansfield sometime and Pilsley which is just up the road (whats the dates?)

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Many thanks for the comments so far.

What I'm intersted to know is not so much 'why' various Soul nights attendances are dwindling - if indeed they are at all - after all, I feel that all venues have a life span or life cycle of sorts, having been involved with various hot promotions over the years... that eventually went cold - but more about whats happening at your local gig, right now (this year) in terms of actual numbers through the door.

So, what I would really like to know is...

what's the average attendance?

whats the music policy?

where is the venue (location)?

Scientific huh?

Many thanks again

Sean

Hi .I am no expert ,but if you are looking for ideas ,get your self off to Pilsley for doo of around 150 or so peeps

and for the slightly bigger doo's

Ian Marriot/Glyn Williams Venues

in my opinion the have got the mix just right, we allways go home happy

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Hi Sean,

Didn't know owt about The Derby venue, sound like a cracking night music wise, shame about attendance :lol:

Personally think there are too many events on now, many sub standard, many dj's substandard too with no imagination. It's certainly put me off Soul Nights and I'm now very choosey as to what soul nights I do go to.

Went to Lowton last week, first time in few months, was regular before that and attendances still seem pretty good with a good record bar too.

Don't really go local either these days although must check out the Attic at Mansfield sometime and Pilsley which is just up the road (whats the dates?)

Hi Chalky

Pilsley is on tonight guest Nige Brown, 8pm - 1.00am not a rare soul night,but a good mix of sounds, its on every 3rd Saturday of the month.

I think we have met before at Union/TBI, hope to see you at Pilsley sometime.

Barry Cooper

Social source share

Hi Chalky

Pilsley is on tonight guest Nige Brown, 8pm - 1.00am not a rare soul night,but a good mix of sounds, its on every 3rd Saturday of the month.

I think we have met before at Union/TBI, hope to see you at Pilsley sometime.

Barry Cooper

Hi Barry, we could well have met bfore at TBI. I can't make tonight I'm afraid but will make one in the future all being well.

Social source share

Hi Sean,

yes i agree too many nights and a lot of crap venues thrown in, with everyman and his dog wanting to DJ, locally a couple of guys have got three or four venues running, playing the same stuff over and over. we too have become very choosy as to where we go. some do book excellent djs who you know have great tunes, so you go expecting something different, not overtly different, but just not the same overplayed tunes.

Edited by bridget
Social source share

It's pretty simple really. If you advertise a northern soul night, you play northern soul, if you con people by advertising northern soul and then playing crossover and modern then you don't deserve to get anyone attending. If the most successful nights are the ones playing what they promise, then they must have got it right, no?

Social source share

it's been touched upon but i see that the soul nights with the most consistant numbers are those that waill and do vary playlists/sounds and get guest djs who play different music to those, often stuck-in-a-routine residents. also, some promoters aim too high and may have a venue too big when it's the quality of the evening that can be excellent in a full (ish) small (ish) venure but disperses in a big (ish) venue....ish!!! :lol:

Social source share

It's pretty simple really. If you advertise a northern soul night, you play northern soul, if you con people by advertising northern soul and then playing crossover and modern then you don't deserve to get anyone attending. If the most successful nights are the ones playing what they promise, then they must have got it right, no?

Are you asking coz you stay in so much? :P

No, can't agree. Lots of nights DO advertise their styles right and even post up playlists.

If we all had the magic formula, then the lack of attendances wouldn't be such a reoccurring point.

Can't agree with those who knock the number of nights about though. If anyone has the balls to put on and promote a night (without purposely trying to destroy someone else's do), then 'good luck to them' I say! :thumbsup:

m

Social source share

it's been touched upon but i see that the soul nights with the most consistant numbers are those that waill and do vary playlists/sounds and get guest djs who play different music to those, often stuck-in-a-routine residents. also, some promoters aim too high and may have a venue too big when it's the quality of the evening that can be excellent in a full (ish) small (ish) venure but disperses in a big (ish) venue....ish!!! :P

Your all getting me very worried now! :P Maybe we should give up, before we start. But no harm in trying. Soul music is a passion, so just got to do it. Here's hoping :thumbsup:

Social source share

Are you asking coz you stay in so much? :P

No, can't agree. Lots of nights DO advertise their styles right and even post up playlists.

If we all had the magic formula, then the lack of attendances wouldn't be such a reoccurring point.

Can't agree with those who knock the number of nights about though. If anyone has the balls to put on and promote a night (without purposely trying to destroy someone else's do), then 'good luck to them' I say! :thumbsup:

m

You try having a baby and see how often you go out - or even want to go out.

People will not go to venues if they think they are going to hear shit music. So if it says accross the board or crossover, I wouldn't go.

Social source share

Guest soul stormers

Your all getting me very worried now! :P Maybe we should give up, before we start. But no harm in trying. Soul music is a passion, so just got to do it. Here's hoping :thumbsup:

hi just starting one up in taunton somerset .........i think you have to keep trying and hope you pull it off ......got very good dj's from all over the south west .......let hope it work out .......

dont give up on it :P

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

That sounds like a great night-reminiscent of Thorne and Tats Taylor to boot-who could ask for more?

This sounds kind of similar to a night we have just started in London, Soul of the Barrio and the problem is not so much dwindling attendances as getting it off the ground in the first place!

The music policy is Across the Board which translates as 60's through to New releases. There is a slight bias to the more modern side but we wanted to put on a night which reflected the kind of sounds we like to hear ourselves and from different d.j's!

Our first night in July featured Tony Smith, Dave Taylor and Victor Sanchez and did as it said on the tin..... 60's-00's. The attendees who I spoke to enjoyed the cross section of music, loved the venue and said they would come again but how to build the momentum? It's difficult and any suggestions would be welcome!

There was a low turn-out although this was expected as many people were away as well as it being the first one.

There is a listing in events for the next one in September and a few photos in the gallery.

I will be addding playlists this evening to give an idea of music policy-feel free to add comments.

So, to answer Sean's question....

Attendance- Not sure yet!

Music Policy- 60's through to new releases

Location- Highbury, London

Edited by Karen Heath
Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

People will not go to venues if they think they are going to hear shit music. So if it says accross the board or crossover, I wouldn't go.

We won't be seeing you then Pete!

Maybe, it would be best if you didn't add any comments where I have asked for them. :thumbsup:

Social source share

We won't be seeing you then Pete!

Maybe, it would be best if you didn't add any comments where I have asked for them. :thumbsup:

Well look, if I wanted to hear crossover, modern or new releases, I'd go to a night which advertised them, but if it says northern soul night, I'd be expecting to hear none of the above but would expect to hear northern soul which as everyone knows, is predomanently 60's music. Thank goodness for the R & B clubs, at least they're sticking to the roots of the music.

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Well look, if I wanted to hear crossover, modern or new releases, I'd go to a night which advertised them, but if it says northern soul night, I'd be expecting to hear none of the above but would expect to hear northern soul which as everyone knows, is predomanently 60's music. Thank goodness for the R & B clubs, at least they're sticking to the roots of the music.

I do agree, it can be really annoying to hear what you didn't want to hear.

Social source share

Hi .I am no expert ,but if you are looking for ideas ,get your self off to Pilsley for doo of around 150 or so peeps

and for the slightly bigger doo's

Ian Marriot/Glyn Williams Venues

in my opinion the have got the mix just right, we allways go home happy

Bazza

=====

hi sean

my nuneaton coop nights have gone from 100 to 140 at the last one ,,,music policy one month across the board month after oldies etc

capacity is 400 but with when the word gets round about the venue im hoping the numbers will grow,,

at the Civic Hall in bedworth we got nearly 350 at our last one,,the coops not a worser venue but its taking time to rebuild the venue/reputation etc...

i also purposely took june/july from my dates for the years cuz of holidays..

regadrs

mark

Social source share

Many thanks in advance.

Sean Hampsey

Hey up Sean,

I'm glad you picked last nights do at the Crown as an example for this thread as i'm a promoter of a similar night to Brian & Colins night.

When we started our Modernism nights 2 1/2 years ago there wasn't much happening on the modern soul scene in this area apart from us & the modern room at Terry Wrights Castle Park nights that took place on the 1st friday monthly so we chose the 3rd friday to keep some distance between the 2 nights. This worked perfectly & Terry Wright was our 1st guest dj & Errol & myself have regularly guested for him at Castle Park.

Another reason we chose the 3rd friday was that there was nothing else on in the Yorkshire area apart from Brighouse & that is primarily an oldies venue so there was no problem there.

Within a Month another modern night opened up in Rotherham but we all survived & the punters kept coming for a while then it started getting silly.

If you look at the 3rd friday of each month now on the modern scene alone you will find there are at least 5 nights on within a 1/2 hour drive of South Yorkshire including the night you attended last night in Derby.

Don't get me wrong on this as i am not having a dig at the other venue's that clash with us, far from it, it's great to have somewhere locally to attend every week but there just ain't enough punters out there to go round.

The soloution? Not easy i'm afraid but we are looking at moving our Modernism nights to the 4th Saturday in the month as at this point nothing similar clashes + there are 4 months in the year where there are 5 saturdays in the month so this is when we are planning on booking the bigger name guests.

On the nights where there are 4 saturdays in the month we're looking at reducing our admission charges or even putting on free nights & using local dj's who don't get as many opportunities as the bigger names.

The other thing we are looking at doing is going bi-monthly & it would make a lot of sense if a few more nights that clashed did this as it only splits the crowd at nights that clash.

Oh the joys of being a promoter :thumbsup:

Mart...

Edited by CUNNIE
Social source share

keep varying djs and types of what the guests play

so attendance is a steady 100 to 120 at Newark and as we have kept to the same

night for the last 3 .5 years Have kept a decent clientel who like a varied across the board policy

EG Sept Chris Forrest

Oct Ginger Taylor

Nov Arthur Fenn

Dec Soul Sam

so we expect a varied playlist

Andy Jackson predominantly Modern Jez more oldies Doug a cross of club/Motown and classic oldies,

so hope that answers your request,PS September with Chris Forrest is pink night with a big raffle on the night in aid of Breast Cancer,

and no matter who is guesting Admission always £3.00

:thumbsup::P

Edited by MAKEMVINYL
Social source share

Many thanks in advance.

Sean Hampsey

Hi Sean you old divil you ....

As I have said for many years , unlike in the 'golden years ' of the scene ( " during the war .... " etc . ) the summer months ( June to September ) now have an effect on the grass root regular / monthly nights , and unfortunately , which sadly / unfortunately , results in low attendances at them . People who regularly / normally attended venues during these months - despite the renewed enthusiasm the scene is enjoying - have other attractions such as holidays etc. , that take precidence for them over the visiting of a soul night . This again has proved to be the case with numerous - and more so - name venues feeling the effect this year . I speak from many years experience in promoting as you know ( I started putting do's on just after the King abdicated from the throne ) , and I have always found the summer months to mean a drought in numbers . This belief has been reinforced since taking over / promoting The Corner Pocket in Mexborough ( every third Saturday of the month ) in May . I knew this was a ' bad ' time to start ( when is there a ' good ' time in / for promoting ? ) with the months of June , July and August coming up , but I got out the Dunkirk Spirit ( no - I was not there .... Bill Payne was . ) and steeled myself for the job ahead . Despite the Corner Pocket being a long established night - we celebrate our 7th Anniversary on January 20th with Colin Curtis as guest DJ ) , summer , I knew would have no respect for that , and attendances ( normally in the two to three hundreds at the Corner Pocket ) , would be down . Despite extensively promoting the Corner Pocket in Mexborough ( every third saturday of the month ) with phone calls , e-mails , posts on soul sites , and the countless venue visits with handbills ( I have put myself around more than the two lasses involved in the Profumo affair ) , Despite having good name DJs on as guests , the attendances at the Corner Pocket ( every third saturday of the month ) were down : in June ( guest DJ John Poole ) it was just over 150 ; and in July ( guest DJ Gary Belcher ) was 123 . When asking after the nights as to where people / regulars at the Corner Pocket had been , I was given the replies of " they / we were on holiday then " " we / they came back off holiday that day " " we / they went on holiday that morning / afternoon / night " " we were coming , but decided to stop in and have a barbeque and get p****d - played some crackin' tunes on t'stereo and had a dance in t'garden " . Summer , for me , has been true to its' reputation ..... I like , and enjoy , it ( summer that is ) as much as the next man or woman , but as a promoter , sorry , you can keep it . Roll on the arrival of autumn , especially on September 16th when we have Sean Chapman guesting at the Corner Pocket in Mexborough .

May the road rise with you my friend

Malc Burton

( Promoter , The Corner Pocket , Mexborough , South Yorkshire - every third Saturday of the month )

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest adlibsoul
We have some strange attendances at Ad-Lib 6t's Soul/R&B Club,Lincoln.It's a small venue (approx 120 max) some nights are packers/some nights need boosting.Everyone who goes give us great feedback re.music/atmosphere. I believe we have a local problem on certain nights because there are an awful lot of live bands now in our area playing a lot of uptempo roots r&b in the local pubs on a Sat. night.We do get a good mixed crowd in and some of the younger kids i've talked to do follow the live bands (whatever they play!)- they get to go to different venues and lets face it a good loud live band does give you an andrenalin rush.When there isn't a live gig they come to us.
Social source share

We have some strange attendances at Ad-Lib 6t's Soul/R&B Club,Lincoln.It's a small venue (approx 120 max) some nights are packers/some nights need boosting.Everyone who goes give us great feedback re.music/atmosphere.

I've heard good things about this place and will eventually get round to paying you a visit :thumbsup:

Social source share

Many thanks in advance.

Sean Hampsey

ya wanna try advertisin these events a little better then we might know they are on i stopped in last night thinkin that there was nowhere soulfull to go but if i knew this was on i would have ventured out :thumbsup:
Social source share

Guest waynec

no,s at do,s around the home counties has dropped quite a bit over the last few years.

seams a lot of folks come back and go everywhere then suddenly dissapear again.

anniversary nites are usually busy but a lot of do,s have low numbers in.

problem weve noticed and it seams the same everywhere is the music policy is the same wherever you go.

maybe its down to dj,s/promoters djing at each other nite but theres no variety.

see lots of posts on here for do,s weve been to where folks have raved about it and wondered if we were at the same nite.

most do,s now seam to have an across the board policy.

only exception is lightwater which have two rooms but the dj,s cant seam to distinguish betwwen modern and northern to the extent that the northern room gets quite empty at times.

one do that seams to florish is sounds of soul!! in hemel but the music policy is basic :thumbsup::P and so we stopped going

Social source share

ya wanna try advertisin these events a little better then we might know they are on i stopped in last night thinkin that there was nowhere soulfull to go but if i knew this was on i would have ventured out :thumbsup:

Check out the " events " site on Soul Source for what is probably the best and most comprehensive / informative listing of what is happening around the country on

a daily / monthly basis . Most promoters ( myself included ) know - and acknowledge - the value this site in informing people know that their night is on .

Malc Burton

Promoter , The Corner Pocket , Mexborough , South Yorkshire

Tonight August 19th : Special Guest DJ - Dave " Mr Skegness " Raistrick

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Check out the " events " site on Soul Source for what is probably the best and most comprehensive / informative listing of what is happening around the country on

a daily / monthly basis . Most promoters ( myself included ) know - and acknowledge - the value this site in informing people know that their night is on .

Malc Burton

Promoter , The Corner Pocket , Mexborough , South Yorkshire

Tonight August 19th : Special Guest DJ - Dave " Mr Skegness " Raistrick

yep thats good idea malc. however, the event that spag west was referring to was not advertised on here.

i don't want to sound out of order here but how on earth can anyone promote an event without mentioning it on here baffles me. some promoters may not particularly like this site but they can not ignore the vast membership it has.

returning to topic - you can have a great venue, great dj's and music policy but the location of a soul night is a major factor. the lowton gets a great crowd because it has everything (venue/dj's/ music policy etc) but most of all it has a great catchment area.

most punters will travel 25 miles max to a soul night. this makes it very tough for places that may be considered 'out of the way'

on top of this the scene is becoming very fragmented in its taste with many not bothered about 'across the board' policies.

you also have to consider that many 'returnees' are no longer with us. a few years back when the scene was getting really busy there were an abundance of wannabe dj's and promoters. we are now seeing the negative response that was expected by many.

Shane

Social source share

Many thanks in advance.

Sean Hampsey

Sean.... simple answer from how I see it.... TOO many localish nites "deciding" to open up cause they see "others" doing alright..... reasoning probably is they don't realise, or see, that because they want to "make a quick buck" it impacts on other established nites of say the last 4-7 years or so....

3-5 years ago there was a "nice" amount of local do's, and more predominant events/niters, that kept things going.... now, by that I mean last 2-3 yrs, you get "joe bloggs and his mate" starting another "new" nite.... be it from either a northern, accross the board or modern point of view/policy....

One other point I think comes into play, through talking with other folk, is that the (and I'm only quoting the term I've heard over the last few years) "returnees" have come back, seen what's going off around the country, gone to quite a few nites/niters over the last 2-3 years, had their "belly full" and now can "pick and choose" where they go, and how often, due to my 1st paragraph.... TOO much happening so even the "better" established places begin to suffer....

This is only my opinion Sean from conversations had over the last 2 or so years around this very subject.... "die hards" like me, yourself and others are the ones feeling the impact now....

Can't only say what's happened at nights i've attended occaisonaly over the last two years:

Soulsville closed due to low attendances - across the board music - Leeds

Ponds Forge - attendance seems to have dropped over the last 12 months - across the board policy - Sheffield

No More Doggin - gone up slightly - 60s Soul and R&B - Thringstone

The Hideaway - consistantly packed - Early Soal and R&B - Manchester

Your quite right Joe regards Ponds Forge that I'm involved in.... no denying....

Up to about 12ish months ago we had a very healthy crowd in.... it peaked on near 250 (quoted capacity) about 2-3 years ago for a few months after long, prolonged promotion in the area.... this decline, to me, is due to my "opinion" on this topic to Sean as to why we, and others, have been "hit" with numbers down....

About 2-3 months ago this "hit home" to us when the head count was well down.... we were aware of other "new" nights in the month having started, and of some "local politics" going off that we were shut/cancelled (along with other local do's, long standing, receiving the same sort of sh*t).... also had heard/got told something new locally was to be started by a "bigger" promoter wanting South Yorkshire as their next venture.... I must say that this has never materialised and no one can actually tell us "who" told them all this closed/new info....

We, as long standing local promoters, hit back in July with with a FREE nite to show that we do, indeed, do it for the love of the music and not as promotional entrenpeneurs..... we stood all costs that nite.... word went round and we had a head count, according to the doorman, of near on 160.... not upto it's best, I know, but it was "better".... last one, August, was the normal pay on the door nite and we sustained similar numbers....

Having said all this, I still think my response/answer to Sean (above) accounts for a lot of the decline....

As for Joe's statement re R&B tyope do's above, I can't comment on the reason why those type of nights haven't been affected.... unless perhaps those are the ones where "new/unknown" stuff grabs people's attention.... or, and of cousre, the punter's are deaf :P:thumbsup: .... sorry Joe, only joking....

Hi Sean you old divil you ....

As I have said for many years , unlike in the 'golden years ' of the scene ( " during the war .... " etc . ) the summer months ( June to September ) now have an effect on the grass root regular / monthly nights , and unfortunately , which sadly / unfortunately , results in low attendances at them . People who regularly / normally attended venues during these months - despite the renewed enthusiasm the scene is enjoying - have other attractions such as holidays etc. , that take precidence for them over the visiting of a soul night . This again has proved to be the case with numerous - and more so - name venues feeling the effect this year . I speak from many years experience in promoting as you know ( I started putting do's on just after the King abdicated from the throne ) , and I have always found the summer months to mean a drought in numbers . This belief has been reinforced since taking over / promoting The Corner Pocket in Mexborough ( every third Saturday of the month ) in May . I knew this was a ' bad ' time to start ( when is there a ' good ' time in / for promoting ? ) with the months of June , July and August coming up , but I got out the Dunkirk Spirit ( no - I was not there .... Bill Payne was . ) and steeled myself for the job ahead . Despite the Corner Pocket being a long established night - we celebrate our 7th Anniversary on January 20th with Colin Curtis as guest DJ ) , summer , I knew would have no respect for that , and attendances ( normally in the two to three hundreds at the Corner Pocket ) , would be down . Despite extensively promoting the Corner Pocket in Mexborough ( every third saturday of the month ) with phone calls , e-mails , posts on soul sites , and the countless venue visits with handbills ( I have put myself around more than the two lasses involved in the Profumo affair ) , Despite having good name DJs on as guests , the attendances at the Corner Pocket ( every third saturday of the month ) were down : in June ( guest DJ John Poole ) it was just over 150 ; and in July ( guest DJ Gary Belcher ) was 123 . When asking after the nights as to where people / regulars at the Corner Pocket had been , I was given the replies of " they / we were on holiday then " " we / they came back off holiday that day " " we / they went on holiday that morning / afternoon / night " " we were coming , but decided to stop in and have a barbeque and get p****d - played some crackin' tunes on t'stereo and had a dance in t'garden " . Summer , for me , has been true to its' reputation ..... I like , and enjoy , it ( summer that is ) as much as the next man or woman , but as a promoter , sorry , you can keep it . Roll on the arrival of autumn , especially on September 16th when we have Sean Chapman guesting at the Corner Pocket in Mexborough .

May the road rise with you my friend

Malc Burton

( Promoter , The Corner Pocket , Mexborough , South Yorkshire - every third Saturday of the month )

Malc.... don't know you personally.... but know of you very well by name round "our" parts....

Re Summer months.... about 2-3 years ago I would've agreed.... not these days.... again referring to my response to Sean for reasons....

Al Taylor, who I do know very well in person, that used to run the CP @ Mexborougfh with Reg before I became aware that you'd took it over earlier this year, had a similar downturn in numbers around the same time as us.... we (PF crew) and he (alan) discussed this on numerous occasions (at both venues) and, usually following it being late with ale inside us, could never understand why as "we" all enjoyed all the nights (PF & CP) and passed it of for a couple or three months with the "holiday/wirk" excuses.... later "we" realised it was associated with what I've replied to Sean (above).... for those two reasons (new nites & returnees) alone I don't think things will drastically improve....

Right.... my door bells gone 5 mins ago.... I'm getting shouted to "come on".... so I'm off to the Greatstone now.... and remember, this post is only my opinion as I see it from discussions/comments around the same self subject.... will check back later on this thread for other responses/repies/opinions....

KEEP IT SOULFUL :P ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

yep thats good idea malc. however, the event that spag west was referring to was not advertised on here.

i don't want to sound out of order here but how on earth can anyone promote an event without mentioning it on here baffles me. some promoters may not particularly like this site but they can not ignore the vast membership it has.

Shane

Thanks Shane,

Just to clarify, my post is in no way a criticism of the Spondon event itself. It's a cracking venue run by first rate Soul folk (Brian Goucher & Colin Brown) and excellent DJ's (Fish & Tats Taylor) playing some of the best selection of records I'd heard in a long while.

All that was missing... was a few more bodies around the place.

It deserved to be better attended because of the pedigree of those involved, the music policy and the 'potential' atmosphere of such a tight little back room venue... superbly located only 10 minutes from the M1 Motorway.

So, was it just a matter of too little promotion (as Shane and a couple of others suggest) or is it that there's too much going on (for the depleted number of actual travelling punters) to create a really busy night at any single location?

So, I'd be intersted to know...

Which venues are consistently 'rammed'?

Where are these venues?

What do they play (Music policy)?

And finally... do you need to see heavy promotion before you attend a gig... or is a quiet word from those 'in the know' and the reputation of those involved enough to get your attention and compel you to attend?

Many thanks again for all comments and replies thus far.

:thumbsup:

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

well most i go to in Peterborough (Post office and right track soul club) seem good attendances but fleet don't have so many i notice but i am sure other places in England may well have bigger attendances

Social source share

Thanks Shane,

Just to clarify, my post is in no way a criticism of the Spondon event itself. It's a cracking venue run by first rate Soul folk (Brian Goucher & Colin Brown) and excellent DJ's (Fish & Tats Taylor) playing some of the best selection of records I'd heard in a long while.

All that was missing... was a few more bodies around the place.

It deserved to be better attended because of the pedigree of those involved, the music policy and the 'potential' atmosphere of such a tight little back room venue... superbly located only 10 minutes from the M1 Motorway.

So, was it just a matter of too little promotion (as Shane and a couple of others suggest) or is it that there's too much going on (for the depleted number of actual travelling punters) to create a really busy night at any single location?

So, I'd be intersted to know...

Which venues are consistently 'rammed'?

Where are these venues?

What do they play (Music policy)?

And finally... do you need to see heavy promotion before you attend a gig... or is a quiet word from those 'in the know' and the reputation of those involved enough to get your attention and compel you to attend?

Many thanks again for all comments and replies thus far.

:P

Sean Hampsey

So thinking of doing something yourself ? :thumbsup:

Social source share

If it said 'Across the Board' or 'Crossover' I would be more likely to go than if it was 100% mouldie oldies !!!! :thumbsup: .

Russ

Social source share

Part of the problem is that certain promoters who have been promoting on the scene for many years and have the same resident dj's,the same guest dj's mostly all playing predictable sets and they run it as a CLOSED SHOP,and what's really annoying is that when you email offering your services they don't even bother to reply.

Social source share

If it said 'Across the Board' or 'Crossover' I would be more likely to go than if it was 100% mouldie oldies !!!! wink.gif .

Russ

But thos ewho advertise "across the board" or "crossover" often mean mecca classics and Drizabone/Angie Stone etc......been to many events that advertise under this description and yet nothing of the sort played, maybe they should be prosecuted under the trades description act :lol:

Social source share

So thinking of doing something yourself ?

Well Dave, as I said in my first post, I keep getting pestered to revive 'Pitches' - which for several years was a hugely succesful monthly Soul Night.

I dont feel I've got the time or inclination to promote at the moment but am constantly pressured to do something, so (although I have my doubts) I might well consider it next year - once I've mopped up a few other urgent projects.

But purely as a punter I'd be interested to know where you can go to for a good night out!

The scene seems to me (judging by the responses) to be more fragmented than ever, with all manner of different nights and DJ's doing their own thing at a local level.

Fine, if that's how its to be, but where can you go on a regular basis to guarantee a good night of Soul Music (across the board or otherwise)?

Its ironic that the 'V festival' is on this wekend attracting tens of thousands of young (and not so young) music lovers and yet we, the Soul scene, seem to be really struggling (from what I've been told so far on here).

Therefore, I need to know!

How many people attend your local Soul Night?

What's the Music Policy and

Where is it held?

Really valuable feedback so far, from Promoters and Punters.

Very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!