• Replies 66
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest dundeedavie

not so much collecting kev , looking whats out there really , but possibly looking at playing some stuff on 78 if i can find it

Social source share

not so much collecting kev , looking whats out there really , but possibly looking at playing some stuff on 78 if i can find it

gotta be some very nice early stuff out there.

I wouldn't like to have to carry them around with me though, have to treat them very carefully................not good after you've had a few glasses of fizzy pop :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

gotta be some very nice early stuff out there.

I wouldn't like to have to carry them around with me though, have to treat them very carefully................not good after you've had a few glasses of fizzy pop :thumbsup:

tis a good job i don't drink then innit lolol.... for me it's the sorting the wheat from the chaff as i know the BIG numbers from pre-60 but the rest is a learning curve at the mo .

if you have any recomendations let me know

Social source share

Kev's right Davie, be a real bugger to carry around and they are very liable to break in half on you transporting around - bakalite is really fragile.

Besides won't be able to hear them played over a Gramophone at a do :thumbsup:

Edited by richard
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Kev's right Davie, be a real bugger to carry around and they are very liable to break in half on you transporting around - bakalite is really fragile.

Besides will be able to hear them played over a Gramophone :thumbsup:

don't worry about hearing them richard lolol .....modern turntable with output sockets for the amp etc . hearing them will deffo not be a problem and the only transporting would be from my house to BASICS as i don't imagine i'd be able to play them anywhere else

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Loads of Excello stuff on 78s....

cheers joe , if i find something worthy of playing then i'll try it and see . as i say i know the big numbers ..pneumonia ( i would think) , jo ann henderson , rose mitchell , big mama thornton etc but not that big on 50's stuff and don't wanna go back to buying blind lol

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Would imagine the sound on 78's would be bloody horrible mate. I mean the needles could have been used to knit with :thumbsup:

You're quite right, Richard - I tried to do a blues and R & B spot from 78s about 20 years ago - just being 'clever' really - but even with a decent sound system and clean 78s, the reproduction just sounded ghastly.

After about 10 or 12 minutes of cccccccccchhhrrrrrrrcccchhhhhpopppopppoppppppppcccchrhhhhhhhh, interrupted by the occasional burst of Amos Milburn or whoever, I happily retreated to the safe have of the box of 45s I'd bought along for backup.

My advice to Davie and to anyone who's thinking of playing 78s at a do, even for a lark, is don't bother. Really...

TONE :P

Social source share

Was a great idea though as there must be loads of great stuff not on 45 :thumbsup:

Davie maybe try early 50's albums, when did LP's start to get produced?

Mind you when did 45's start to get produced?? I've got a Dominoes single from 1952 so they would go back as early as that at least

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Was a great idea though as there must be loads of great stuff not on 45 :thumbsup:

Davie maybe try early 50's albums, when did LP's start to get produced?

Mind you when did 45's start to get produced?? I've got a Dominoes single from 1952 so they would go back as early as that at least

The first singles were produced by US Columbia in 1948-49. They were 7 inchers that played at 33 and that, unusually for the USA, had small centres. Obviously, they didn't catch on...

The first 45s as we know them were produced around the same time - just slightly later, in fact - by RCA Victor. These had the lagre centre we've all gotten used to - and were on coloured vinyl, with a different colour being used for each different category of music. "Race Music" (i.e. Rhythm & Blues) was a fetching shade of cerise.

Needless to say, all the early RCA R & B 45s are highly collectable. I have the first one (numbered 0000!) which is a brilliant double sider of Arthur 'Big Boy' Crudup's "That's All Right Mama" and "Crudup's After Hours". I believe this to be the first R & B record ever produced as a 45.

RCA and Columbia (now issuing 'regular' 45s) were in full swing by 1950. Other major labels followed suit shortly thereafter, but quite a lot of the R & B independent labels didn't come on board with 45s until a few years later. This is quite understandable - a reluctance to embrace a new technology that, at the time, many were not certain would replace the 78, coupled with the fact that only a small number of R & B buyers would have been able to afford a 45 autochanger in 1951, would have made sticking to 78s a safer bet for many labels. King, though, did start quite early - around 1951, as did Modern. Specialty, by comparison, did not fully commit to the production of all their releases as singles, as well as 78s until late 1952.

By 1957, most companies had begun to phase out 78s - but not all. Some labels, like Chess, carried on producing a decreasing number of releases on 78 into early 1959. Others, like Gone and Fire/Fury, carried on beyond that - I have a Gone 78 of the Flamingos' "I Only Have Eyes For You" and a Fire 78 of Buster Brown's "Fannie Mae", both pressed very late on in 1959.

The very latest US 78 I have is, incredibly, from 1963 - Ray Barretto's "El Watusi" on Tico, presumably pressed for sale mostly in Spanish Harlem and Puerto Rico.

Sorry to have gone on a bit but I hope you found it both helpful and interesting...

TONE :P

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Haven't we had this topic before? If so I may have posted these before - Argentinian I think:

had what topic ? i only asked if anyone had any info on dealers who deal in 78's

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Haven't we had this topic before? If so I may have posted these before - Argentinian I think:

Hi Godz'

They're more likely Filipino - they were still producing 78s in the Phillipnes in 1963. I have Jo Ann Campbell "I Changed My Mind Jack" on Filipino ABC Paramount from '62...

For everyone's info, the last country to stop production of 78s was India - some companies out there went on till 1965 or possibly 1966. Nobody's ever turned up a Stateside 78 though - but things like the Beatles' "Help" and the Beach Boys' "All Summer Long" were pressed on Parlophone and Capitol 78s, and they naturally sell for a small fortune.

The latest UK 78 I've ever seen is from 1961 - the Everly Brothers' "So Sad". By that time only UK Decca was pressing 78s, and they were almost pressing them to order. I was told once, by someone who worked for Decca back then, that things like thie Everlys' 78 would probably have had a pressing run of no more than 100-150 tops.

The latest 78 I've ever seen, period, is an Indian copy of Trini Lopez' "Sinner Not A Saint" - nah, not really, it was "Lemon Tree", actually, a 1966 Reprise recording...

TONE :wicked:

PS - to answer Brother Munk's question, yes, that's theoretically true, but given that 78s are usually made of shellac and 45s are made of vinyl, it doesn't work like that for the most part.

Some US companies (King being one of them, MGM, Columbia and RCA being others) made their promo 78s out of something called viny-flex, which was like a non-bendable version of shellac and which gave a beautiful sound quality. From 1957 onwards, UK Pye made their 78s out of a plastic-based product and they, too sound pretty fab (I have a Ritchie Valens' "Come On Let's Go" Pye International 78 - when you play it, it sounds like Ritchie and his band are in the room with you...)

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Hi Godz'

They're more likely Filipino - they were still producing 78s in the Phillipnes in 1963. I have Jo Ann Campbell "I Changed My Mind Jack" on Filipino ABC Paramount from '62...

For everyone's info, the last country to stop production of 78s was India - some companies out there went on till 1965 or possibly 1966. Nobody's ever turned up a Stateside 78 though - but things like the Beatles' "Help" and the Beach Boys' "All Summer Long" were pressed on Parlophone and Capitol 78s, and they naturally sell for a small fortune.

The latest UK 78 I've ever seen is from 1961 - the Everly Brothers' "So Sad". By that time only UK Decca was pressing 78s, and they were almost pressing them to order. I was told once, by someone who worked for Decca back then, that things like thie Everlys' 78 would probably have had a pressing run of no more than 100-150 tops.

The latest 78 I've ever seen, period, is an Indian copy of Trini Lopez' "Sinner Not A Saint" - nah, not really, it was "Lemon Tree", actually, a 1966 Reprise recording...

TONE :wicked:

PS - to answer Brother Munk's question, yes, that's theoretically true, but given that 78s are usually made of shellac and 45s are made of vinyl, it doesn't work like that for the most part.

Some US companies (King being one of them, MGM, Columbia and RCA being others) made their promo 78s out of something called viny-flex, which was like a non-bendable version of shellac and which gave a beautiful sound quality. From 1957 onwards, UK Pye made their 78s out of a plastic-based product and they, too sound pretty fab (I have a Ritchie Valens' "Come On Let's Go" Pye International 78 - when you play it, it sounds like Ritchie and his band are in the room with you...)

Tone, Your knowledge, and for that matter memory, never ceases to amaze me thanks for the info another good read.

Social source share

Guest Mart B

Hi

Hi dundeedave2 i was at bentick soul do on friday night and dj/record dealer rob smith had a fist full of 78s with him.Having been to his record shop in nottingham theres know dought theres more.Cheers.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Hi

Hi dundeedave2 i was at bentick soul do on friday night and dj/record dealer rob smith had a fist full of 78s with him.Having been to his record shop in nottingham theres know dought theres more.Cheers.

excellent , any contact details for him .....

Social source share

Guest Mart B

Hi dundeedavie2

The only address i know is robs records hurts yard nottingham.

Theres no dought someone on soulsource will have his phone number.

cheers.

Social source share

Hang around any decent allnighter after 4.30 a.m. and Rob Smith will normally be on his way in... :wicked:

The Jo Ann Henderson is a hard one on 78 mate.

Big Maybelle 'I got a feeling' is on 78 as well I believe.

Think Kitty White was on ebay on 78 t'other week.

Got a 78 on my wall on Okeh by Sophie Tucker called Aggravatin' Papa - can't play it as aint got player with 78 speed...sounds shite at 45 though... :lol:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Hang around any decent allnighter after 4.30 a.m. and Rob Smith will normally be on his way in... :wicked:

The Jo Ann Henderson is a hard one on 78 mate.

Big Maybelle 'I got a feeling' is on 78 as well I believe.

Think Kitty White was on ebay on 78 t'other week.

Got a 78 on my wall on Okeh by Sophie Tucker called Aggravatin' Papa - can't play it as aint got player with 78 speed...sounds shite at 45 though... :lol:

wasn't necessarily jo ann henderson i wanted .... but if something came up that was playable then i'm not gonna turn it down

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

wasn't necessarily jo ann henderson i wanted .... but if something came up that was playable then i'm not gonna turn it down

oh yeah and while i remember rose mitchell is so much better anyway

Social source share

oh yeah and while i remember rose mitchell is so much better anyway

My arse..... :wicked:

Funny thing at last Hideaway - Damian had a copy of Jo Ann Henderson in his box for £200.

Merv and Paul Bennet turns up and I says to Damian....watch this, I bet one of these 2 buy that tonight.

I turn to Merv and Paul and says....You guys sure Rose Mitchell is better tha Jo ann Henderson then, and both nod there heads accordingly and echo 'Oh yes' similar to the Churchill dog :lol: .

So I says - shame that, cus Damian has a Jo Ann Henderson for sale in his box but I suppose neither of you guys are bothered about it then.

Paul couldn't get his cheque book out quick enough.... :wicked::lol:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

My arse..... :wicked:

Funny thing at last Hideaway - Damian had a copy of Jo Ann Henderson in his box for £200.

Merv and Paul Bennet turns up and I says to Damian....watch this, I bet one of these 2 buy that tonight.

I turn to Merv and Paul and says....You guys sure Rose Mitchell is better tha Jo ann Henderson then, and both nod there heads accordingly and echo 'Oh yes' similar to the Churchill dog :lol: .

So I says - shame that, cus Damian has a Jo Ann Henderson for sale in his box but I suppose neither of you guys are bothered about it then.

Paul couldn't get his cheque book out quick enough.... :wicked::lol:

i tried to buy a jo ann henderson but pulled out at just under £300 so i can't say i don't like it , but i prefer the rose mitchell , only have it on album though

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Is the 7" 45rpm or 33rpm by the way - Merv tells me he has it but never seen it myself (dare not look at it in case it makes me fall asleep on the spot) :wicked::wicked:

to be honest i have no idea either lolol

Hi Davie ,try BLUES WORLD :lol: If you find the record I'm after ...........ATB Stevie

what record you after ?

Social source share

to be honest i have no idea either lolol

what record you after ?

...wondered if you were trying to con me out of my possible £295 profit by telling me its a 33 not a 45 if I turned one up.

Will find out off Merv and try and find a box full as soon as poss. :wicked:

Would you require more than one at £300 being as you like it so much - maybe 2 for £550, 3 for £800????? :lol:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

...wondered if you were trying to con me out of my possible £295 profit by telling me its a 33 not a 45 if I turned one up.

Will find out off Merv and try and find a box full as soon as poss. :wicked:

Would you require more than one at £300 being as you like it so much - maybe 2 for £550, 3 for £800????? :lol:

so you're confident you'll find one then

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Hi Pal, I'm after the best 50s tune with soul content ever IMHO....came out on 33 and 45 RPM :wicked:

pm me with it , or not , just don't tease i'm renowned for having zero patience

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!