Al Kent - Or Not Al Kent

Pete S

I was thinking, if Al Kent was a musician not a vocalist, his records include You Gotta Pay The Price and Ooh Pretty Lady - and when he played in the UK, he did not perform his classic The Way You've Been Acting Lately...then this is my question....who actually is the vocalist on The Way You've Been Acting Lately, because he's bloomin' good - Edwin Starr??

• Helpful 2
Social source share

He told me, years ago, that the only reason he sang it was that he couldn't afford to pay another vocalist. He has sung on other records and was with a singing group in his teens.

Well he should surely have done more, he is a great singer on that one

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest son of stan

On "The Way You've Been Acting Lately" - what is it the girls sing before the say "The Way You've Been Acting Lately" ?

Sounds to me like,

'Funny, funny feeling, let's make it

Funny, funny feeling, don't break it'

...whatever that means!!

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Sounds to me like,

'Funny, funny feeling, let's make it

Funny, funny feeling, don't break it'

...whatever that means!!

No it isn't. It's

Funnny, funny feeling, ooh must we break up?

Funny funny feeling, baby let's make up.'

Social source share

I have NEVER heard anyone call this monster tune dirge!! It's absolutely one of the best 45's ever made.

Actually I quite like it :-))

Dazz

There was a period (around 77/78?) when it got reactivated and hammered to death at most venues, and I can definitely remember several people - at least one in print - describing it as a dirge. Which, of course, it isn't, it was just reaction to an overplayed oldie...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

TWYBAL is one of the greatest 45's ever, doesn't need Levi or anyone else to make it any better, its class as it is.

Not suggesting that another version was needed or could have been improved upon, just that the style matches Levi Stubbs' vocal talents and that I could imagine him singing it too, that's all. :-) 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yep a 1950's street corner group known as 'The Sparrows' Al (Kent) Hamilton, Hermom Weems Charles Harris, Paul Leslie and Phil Townsend (who incidently co-wrote The Little Foxes "Love Made To Order", as well as "So Glad Your Love Don't Change"and Ortheia Barnes "Heartbreaker, Soulshaker"). :thumbsup:

Dave

It is the same vocal as on "Country Boy" / "You know I Love You" - WINGATE 004.

the guy could sing and had a lovely warm tone.

AL KENT

Social source share

One of the 'contributors' to Winstanley's Soul Survivors book. Numpty.

NUMPTY!!!!

You got to laugh really getting all arsey over an "I can't believe it" quote

Now if I had said "no, your wrong,nobody has ever said that" kind of line then maybe, only maybe, would numpty be ok, but you didn't did you, hmmm.

Social source share

NUMPTY!!!!

You got to laugh really getting all arsey over an "I can't believe it" quote

Now if I had said "no, your wrong,nobody has ever said that" kind of line then maybe, only maybe, would numpty be ok, but you didn't did you, hmmm.

He wasn't calling you Daz, just the bloke who gave the quote to the book

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The last I spoke to Al Kent he was reputedly in the process of writing a book, as to wether this actually happened I don't know. But I'm sure it would have made great reading, Hermon Weems once told me a great story about the early day of Wingate & Goldern World. Before Wingate built his own studio's he used to use either RCA in New York or Columbia in Chicago. On one occassion he booked Bob Hamilton, Al Kent and  Hermon Weems on a flight from Detriot to New York to record some sessions.The plane that they were on had two seats on either side. Bob And Hermon where seated on one side with AL with some unkown guy on the opposite. Just before the plane was due to take off a pssengers name was announced over the tannoy askiing him to vacate the flight, this being the guy who was sitting next to Al. The guy after several calls continued to refuse to vacate his sit. Eventually the cabin crew man handled this passenger out of his seat and as they ere pushing him out of the door of the plane the familiar figure of Ed Wingate crept in behind him and took his seat, much to Bob, Hermon's and Al's amazement. When they asked Ed how the hell he managed that, he just smiled and said "Easy, I own 25% of the Airline !!

Dave

Shhh Dave, you'll be giving Ryanair ideas with that tale…  :D

Social source share

jackie wilson & edwin starr?......some people clutching at straws! :rolleyes:  :facepalm:  :no: if, al kent could sing...then he could sing.....that's all we need to know and the tunes credit his name....so it HAS to be him singing......this is NOT ANOTHER exclusive darrell banks style story........so stop trying to be indiana jones anoraks! :dash2:

...and it is a great tune...and yes, it should be in everyone's collection...wonderfully atmospheric orchestration..what you expect from detroit and what every city aspired to. :thumbsup:  :hatsoff2:

Edited by AGENTSMITH
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

jackie wilson & edwin starr?......some people clutching at straws! :rolleyes:  :facepalm:  :no: if, al kent could sing...then he could sing.....that's all we need to know and the tunes credit his name....so it HAS to be him singing......this is NOT ANOTHER exclusive darrell banks style story........so stop trying to be indiana jones anoraks! :dash2:

...and it is a great tune...and yes, it should be in everyone's collection...wonderfully atmospheric orchestration..what you expect from detroit and what every city aspired to. :thumbsup:  :hatsoff2:

Rob

Just because someone is credited as the performing artist on a record does not always mean that they are the real performing artist this music is littered with many misnomers due to contractual disagreements, moonlighting artists and musicians etc etc. For example one of the current members of the Vibrations who recently performed at Prestatyn was none then James Barnes of James Barnes & The Agents who is credited as recording two 45's on Goldern Hit, when infact he recorded three releases it's him singing on Jock Mitchell's "No Mad Woman" as Jock was tied up in a contractual dispute with Scepter at the time.

People's suspicion about Al Kent not being the true vocalist on "The way You've Been Acting Lately" became aroused due to his lack of a vocal contribution during the Ric Tic Road Show during the 80's.

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Rob

Just because someone is crdited as the performing artist on a record does not always mean that they are the real performing artist this music is littered with many misnomers due to contractual disagreements, moonlighting artists and musicians etc etc. For example one of the current members of the Vibrations who recently performed at Prestatyn was none then James Barnes of James Barnes & The Agents who is credited as recording two 45's on Goldern Hit, when infact he recorded three releases it's him singing on Jock Mitchell's "No Mad Woman" as Jock was tied up in a contractual dispute with Scepter at the time.

People's suspicion about Al Kent not being the true vocalist on "The way You've Been Acting Lately" became aroused due to his lack of a vocal contribution during the Ric Tic Road Show during the 80's.

Dave

i understand the logic in that dave, but why people have to fling names around with gay abandon is really purposeless. the voice in no way sounds familiar compared to most who we know, so my presumption is....it's him, the fact that, as you say, his vocal contributions are lacking, may be due to the fact, that he tried it here and one of his other ric-tic singles...then perhaps thought he wouldn't bother anymore and stuck instead to songwriting and producing.....eddie holland thought had a career in singing, but he ended up the other side of the recording console.......maybe it's him we're listening to then?....i'll stick with al.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Fine detective work - but the defining work is your own EARS!!

AL KENT was a SINGER.

Incidently "YOU GOT TO PAY THE PRICE" Instr is credited to AL KENT, but we all know that it is DENNIS COFFEY supplying the legendary guitar riffs that we all love.

Wonder which instrument AL KENT was performing on this gem, flip it over and it is AL's vocal on "WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE"

Any further info appreciated

Social source share

I was thinking, if Al Kent was a musician not a vocalist, his records include You Gotta Pay The Price and Ooh Pretty Lady - and when he played in the UK, he did not perform his classic The Way You've Been Acting Lately...then this is my question....who actually is the vocalist on The Way You've Been Acting Lately, because he's bloomin' good - Edwin Starr??

Al Kent was a producer AND a singer.  He was credited on instrumental records because there was no singer, and he was, in essence, the "orchestra" leader.  But, they couldn't call the ad-hoc assemblage of studio session instrument players Al Kent's Orchestra, so they simply credited him as the artist.  I'm pretty sure that he, himself sang on "The Way You've Been Acting Lately".  He sang in a couple groups as a youngster, and had some solo singing releases recorded in Detroit, and some in New York, before working for Ed Wingate's labels.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Al Kent was a producer AND a singer.  He was credited on instrumental records because there was no singer, and he was, in essence, the "orchestra" leader.  But, they couldn't call the ad-hoc assemblage of studio session instrument players Al Kent's Orchestra, so they simply credited him as the artist.  I'm pretty sure that he, himself sang on "The Way You've Been Acting Lately".  He sang in a couple groups as a youngster, and had some solo singing releases recorded in Detroit, and some in New York, before working for Ed Wingate's labels.

strikes again!..... :thumbsup:

Social source share

The knowledge on this forum never ceases to amaze me. Thanks to all the contributors to this topic. An interesting and informative read.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!