John Manship Auction Results 4 -2 - 2015

JOE TORQUAY

9663_1sm.jpg9663_1sm.jpg9663_2sm.jpg
Soul Incorporated My Proposal

Let’s Get Serious - Very Serious

A Michigan Monster! and a record that so few Northern Soul collectors can boast of ever owning…

From the mind of a Northern Soul icon - Cecil Washington - who writes, arranges and produces this mighty-mover.

The Off-Beat lead vocal flirts with the horn crammed arrangement creating the perfect Northern Soul experience, uplifting feelgood dance-demander; lifted to even greaster heights by a perfectly timed and utterly compelling guitar instrumental break that just seals this 45 as one of the all time greats in the Rarest Of The Rare genre.

Two label are immaculate - a-side vinyl is so near perfect. The insignificant flipside vinyl has a few light marks..

So rare this is the first time it has made an appearance on the Manship Auction - do not pass by!

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 3,867.00

9668_1sm.jpg9668_1sm.jpg9668_2sm.jpg
Out Of Sights Tears Don't Care Who Cry C/w I've Got To Be Me

One of five 45s this stand-out vocal group released for Cleveland based SARU label.

In previous years this energetic vocal group workout was maybe a little to Norman Whitfield inspired for Northern Soul attention. But as we all know, times they are a changin’. FUNK is “In”, vocal group Funk especially popular as this recording see-saws from fluid Northern Soul back in Funk and then back again. Lou Raglands influence evident throughout the session..

The hardest thing about acquiring this elusive 45 is condition. We’ve had over the years the occasional scratchy example - but in flawless condition this disc is a challenge. In the past for

The winning bid was £ 111.00

9671_1sm.jpg9671_1sm.jpg9671_2sm.jpg
Tony Martin Talkin' To Your Picture

Do You Seriously Collect British Tamla Motown 45s?

Are you one of those painfully particular types, looking for the “impossibly” flawless DEMO’s. Those impossible 45s in perfect condition…?

Well, here’s one hardly anybody on Planet Earth owns in a flawless state…

So any TMG collecting curmudgeons, we advise you not bid on this, as you will find there is absolutely nothing to pick fault with..

Perfect Red & White DEMO’s - the very pinnacle of TMG collecting..

The winning bid was £ 86.00

9704_1sm.jpg9704_1sm.jpg9704_2sm.jpg
Billy Thompson Black-eyed Girl C/w Kiss Tomorrow Good-bye

Wand Records the darling-label of the Northern Soul aficionados, is right up there alongside Okeh etc. The diverse wealth of product, the mysteriously RARE 45 where only a handful are known, the standout Soul Greats like Chuck Jackson, Maxine Brown have kept this label close to NS Hearts for decades, by constantly having the power to tantalize the collector.

Billy Thompson’s only record for Wand underlines the net Scepter/Wand cast whilst releasing independent recordings. This Boston, Massachusetts production was made possible when two active musical locals Herschel Dwellingham & Barry Richards came together to cover Danny White’s highly emotional Deep Soul song “Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye”… with the Northern Soul thumper written by those producers languishing on the flipside…

Now considered a top-quality underplayed certainty, jogging a few old-school minds back to the mid-70s when this 45 was receiving the turntable action it deserved, but fortunately never having the dubious honor of being bootlegged so remaining high up in the NS coveted league today.

If Scepter/Wand fascinates you as much as it does me, there is an in-depth, painstakingly researched book by Steve Guarnori entitled “SCEPETER/WAND FOREVER which should hit the market very soon. Revealing many previously undocumented facts on the company, artists and it’s records… it will be utterly unmissable….

as is this Rare and totally immaculate condition 45; a STOCK copy giving up mesmerizing Northern Soul and Deep Soul on one elusive disc.

The winning bid was £ 181.00

9655_1sm.jpg9655_1sm.jpg9655_2sm.jpg
Sam Cooke Another Saturday Night

Your formative years after leaving school, shape in many ways your musical tastes, clothing preferences and your future lifestyle. I had already been introduced to Soul music by my elder brothers friends, all MODS although my “Bro” had lousy taste in most everything including music. I started to frequent the MOD preferred haunts - one of those being the “Bali Hai” room downstairs at the Nottingham Palais.

How cool was this I thought Soul music and plastic Palm Trees and at midnight the dancefloor revolved - boy I had arrived (having never heard of The Twisted Wheel, The Mojo etc) the real hip places. I considered the “Bali Hai” the center of my fashion & music universe.

To this day I can remember the DJ’s top-spins Guy Darrell “I’ve Been Hurt” Bob Keene Orchestra “Winter Again” and I loved Sam Cooke’s “Another Saturday Night” I eventually after Select-A-Disc foraging trips I owned all three.

Then I was taken to The Catacoombs, The Mecca, Va Va’s and the “Bali Hai” was just a bad memory, except the incomparable Sam Cooke, a man I still delight in listening to today.

But what really gets me with this record is this offering is the “DEMO”, can’t even remember the last time I saw one.. a timeless all time fave from my youth and looking so alluring in this rare form.

I bet I’m not the only Soul Boy with this type of wincing recall…who would buzz inside in the presence of this Promo..

The winning bid was £ 42.00

9692_1sm.jpg9692_1sm.jpg9692_2sm.jpg9692_3sm.jpg9692_4sm.jpg
Various Various Soul Memorabilia

What an interesting collection of Soul goodies - all original 60s memorabilia.

inc: Two stunning artist pics 8 by 10” authentic original promo glossy photographs of two highly respected NS Divas. Fontella Bass & Jackie Ross.

The highly sought after British SUE and British ISLAND 1967 catalog Please NOTE” Island catalog has 28 pages and includes all the Sue listings”

includes the incredibly RARE 1963 “RHYTHM & BLUES GAZETTE” which just preempted the birth of the TWISTED WHEEL by a few months, underlining the underground R&B movement bubbling up.

plus as a bonus of a rather “used” but utterly fantastical 1963 10 page Motown catalog entitled “It’s What’s In The Groove That Counts”. We would without exception, stand this item alone and auction it. But there are some non-authentic autographs in it.

really nice package.. that could never be repeated - EVER!!

The winning bid was £ 93.00

9667_1sm.jpg9667_1sm.jpg9667_2sm.jpg
Barbara Howard I Don't Want Your Love C/w The Man Above

Foolproof Sister Funk for today’s Rare Soul Scene!

Rattling rimshots, Squealing vocals, screaming sax, honky horns, twanging bass guitar, angered girlfriends doing the chorus..

..do we need anything else?

Yes we need - attitude, defiance, angry PMT fueled belligerence… and the combative Ms Howard delivers it all….by the truck load!

Real Deal modern dancefloor FUNK from a lady you’d be wise not to antagonize…

Dreamy Soul Ballad fans - the flip also showcase’s this Sisters vocal prowess… with a heart.

The winning bid was £ 143.00

9664_1sm.jpg9664_1sm.jpg9664_2sm.jpg
Moments You Said

Girl Group Northern Soul at its best!

Finger-clicking, hand-clapping Motown-inspired recording benefiting from an emotionally-exquisite lead vocal and outstanding support from her girlfriends “Hey! Hey!!” choruses.

THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL - sister-style

This mid-60s Brooklyn New York conceived dance groove, we just never see in clean condition, as you can tell this copy is just sublime - hardly a blemish - occasional sleeve brush hairline nothing else to spoil the vinyls perfectness. Flipside label is signed by writer/producer William Linton which some will see as a provenance bonus.

Essential to own.. 

The winning bid was £ 784.00

9703_1sm.jpg9703_1sm.jpg9703_2sm.jpg
Berry Gordy Jr., To Be Loved - An Autobiography

The rarely seen and highly sought

1994 ORIGINAL FIRST EDITION HARDBACK ISBN 0-7472-1417-4

Complete with original dust cover with everything in near perfect condition.

For Motown aficionados this 432 page autobiography is not only essential reading, the hardback is also the original UK press - so very hard to find in this flawless state.

A book to be cherish and treasured for life, if Berry Gordy’s unsurpassed Black Music success story is a source of inspiration to you.

The winning bid was £ 36.00

9670_1sm.jpg9670_1sm.jpg9670_2sm.jpg
Age Of Bronze I'm Gonna Love You C/w I'm In Love

Vinyl vs Styrene!

Has never been more important than when encountering this sumptuous double helping of 60s vocal-group Soul. The Gold label styrene press, sadly more often than not has suffered DJ stylus fatigue in varying amounts. The topside being a glorious Northern Soul dancer it will over the years have had to deal with the rigors of the Northern Soul circuit.

However the much-rarer Yellow label press was pressed in robust vinyl and is harder to find by a factor of at least 25 to 1. So the lucky owner can, without fear spin this Fab tune no stylus weariness will ever afflict this killer tune.

When there’s a choice, it is a “No Brainer” to seek out VINYL when the disc is this good and likely to get lots of DJ attention - it’s a must!

This copy is utterly flawless!

The winning bid was £ 282.00

9666_1sm.jpg9666_1sm.jpg9666_2sm.jpg
Bobby Paris I Walked Away

When this 45 was recorded in 1967, California thought the 800 miles of the San Andreas Fault was on the move - when it was first spun at Cleethorpes Pier the faithful thought an old WW2 floating mine had been detonated below…

Like a rumbling Tsunami heading for shore, Bobby Paris invades the dancefloor like nothing elser - more power, more presence than any other mid-tempo NS 45 ever to grace the turntables… proven by the fact 40 years on and it still has the crowd tripping over each other to find adequate space to perform..

Potent in the extreme and seldom seen on the market - especially in this totally flawless condition.

The winning bid was £ 343.00

9669_1sm.jpg9669_1sm.jpg9669_2sm.jpg
Steve Karmen Band (featuring Jimmy Radcliffe) Breakaway Part S 1 & 2

Northern Soul cover-ups many do not appreciate but when a record of this capacity get christen “The Back Ship To Hell” you’ve just gotta love the imagination and passion put into “made-up” titles like that..

I can remember hearing this at the Blackpool Mecca whether it was Ian Levine’s furtive imagination responsible or not - I personally think it’s one of the visionary titles ever thought of.

Listen to this magically explosive piece of Northern Soul, you can almost see the “Black Ship” emerging from the mist on a wave of molten rock…

NORTHERN SOUL AT ITS MOST PERSUASIVE!!

The winning bid was £ 122.00

9654_1sm.jpg9654_1sm.jpg9654_2sm.jpg
Bob Kuban And The In-men The Cheater

Seriously Rare 1965 British Red & White of this MOD Club anthem. Twisted Wheel, Mojo, Nite Owl, and all the London 8 til late hangouts would reverberate to this top-drawer “Blue-Eyed” Soul anthem that still today gets them up on the floor.

Leavin’ this slab of British Eye-Candy aside for one moment, this 45 carries with it one ironically horrific tale.

Lead singer of the Bob Kuban Band was one “WalterScott”, who disappeared in 1983, as his wife was cheating with a James Williams, who not only murdered his own wife, he also murdered Walter Scott so he could be with Scott’s wife, drastic but true.

The songs lyrics “He’ll Take Your Girl” “Look Out For The Cheater” came home to roost sadly in Walter Scotts real life; his body was found 4 years later in cistern. James Williams got life for the two murders and recently died in prison ..obviously cheating didn’t pay kind dividends for Mr. Williams or indeed the singer who made this song one of the mid-60s greatest “dance” tunes.

Before you is its most-sought after format. But beware Red & Whites can bring out the worst in some people…some British Collectors could “Kill” for ownership.

The winning bid was £ 86.00

9665_1sm.jpg9665_1sm.jpg9665_2sm.jpg
Robert Parker I Caught You In A Lie

You Said He Was Your Cousin - But I Found Out He Wasn’t”

For decades this delightful New Orleans conceived dance stroller was a major spin for the SKA / Reggae DJ one of only a few “Soul” titles that regularly featured in top Jocks set. Johnny Taylor’s - If That Ain’t Loving You (For More Reasons Than One” is another title to be honored by the Jamaican music scene.

Recently though after years of occasional Soul jock airings, this Robert Parker’s most elusive NOLA Northern Soul recording has jumped to the fore in NS DJ sets. A few times recently I’ve witness very strong dancefloor response when the needle is dropped..this 45 is on the UP!

So when a flawless White Demo comes along, it fits nicely into our weekly affordable must-have category…

Two clean labels and vinyl to match.. yes must-have!

The winning bid was £ 136.00

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Cos we don't know how to look on his website, let's give him publicity on here instead  :thumbsup:

Ah. Sorry - I missed all the discussion on there - must learn to look properly...

Seriously though, plenty of people seem to like to have a gossip about on here about what happens on John's auctions. Seems pretty harmless to me.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ah. Sorry - I missed all the discussion on there - must learn to look properly...

Seriously though, plenty of people seem to like to have a gossip about on here about what happens on John's auctions. Seems pretty harmless to me.

No I know what you mean.  But it's just usually to see how hopelessly out of touch rich some people are

• Helpful 3
Social source share

i wouldn't know john manship if i tripped over him, as i've said before i put the results up for a couple of friends, one has now passed, so just the one now, he hasen't got / won't get a pc / i-pad / mobile phone / he goes to the library near to where he lives, that's the only reason i put them on here. joe.

Don't have to explain to me Joe, I don't care either way, and you've explained before.

Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A

Well the prices must have been ok this week as this weeks big discussion is Joe for posting them - I love SS

Cheers Darren

:rofl:

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Joe, does John Manship pay you to stick his results up? if not you should charge him...

Joe,   "Keep on doing what your doing " I Love it,Thursdays wouldnt be the same without a bowl of sh******. Ihave in the past felt constrained to comment[being a state pensioner on £137.10p a week] but why not. It seems value /cost is not related to musical quality Soul Incorporated; JM;Offbeat Flirty Lead Vocal" to me ,out of tune and off key an average tuneful ditty, but £3.800,? Tony Martin a washed lounge lizard crooner when Berry took him on board in 1965 for the equally hapless/hopeless tmg 537 "The Bigger Your heart Is" ,Bob Kuban a no 6 US  66 pop hit at a equally massive £86,the lure of the big red "A" [ "Art On Vynil"]  do the winners ever listen to the music. Robert Parker, Sam Cooke, and Steve Karmen  musi c value ratio Len says Ten. .PS. Joe are you origanly from Torquay , if so many happy nights where spent in 1968 [full of Scrumpy and Pharmecueticals]in  ;Scotch, Yacht, Compass and Hot spot  Clubs LOL

Social source share

Now wait there, I haven't said dont post em up,  I'll be honest I'm not keen on John Manship's Auction, Ive made that known in the past, but I'm saying he should get paid to do John Manship's promotion for him... it it were me doing that, I'd ask to get bloody paid for it...

see I'm a gummy old git, must be northern soul record collecting eh..

M

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL... I enjoy this posting Joe, plus I tend to look at the MANSHIPS AUCTION daily, however your posting allows feedback comments to be made, John does not offer this, I don't blame him after all the negative crap he gets, (I did not know Major Lance but I bought his records).

I would of thought the only negative comments any one could make about John would come from other dealers in that he gets more for his record sales,

For example there are 4 dealers selling   a issue of Helen Shapiro STOP on Columbia at the moment that's a good healthy competition,

If JM gets the most it will be due to one thing only, that his auction stands for quality can be assured,  

Please keep this thread going. :) DAVE K

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL... I enjoy this posting Joe, plus I tend to look at the MANSHIPS AUCTION daily, however your posting allows feedback comments to be made, John does not offer this, I don't blame him after all the negative crap he gets, (I did not know Major Lance but I bought his records).

I would of thought the only negative comments any one could make about John would come from other dealers in that he gets more for his record sales,

For example there are 4 dealers selling   a issue of Helen Shapiro STOP on Columbia at the moment that's a good healthy competition,

If JM gets the most it will be due to one thing only, that his auction stands for quality can be assured,  

Please keep this thread going. :) DAVE K

Nobody hardly ever makes negative comments about John, they make them about the dunderheads who pay double the price for some of the records that he auctions when with 5 minutes work they could find them cheaper

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Tim Brown offered me a Soul Incorporated for £500 over 20 years ago. He'd just turned up 2 copies of it. I didn't like it, so I spent the same amount on a "Detroit One Off" - Chico Holliday's - Follow The Sun - Meadowbrook. I saw that record listed on Soul Source this week for £50. There's no accounting for MY taste. I think dunderhead applies to me on this occasion. BTW, Rob Marriott ended up with the said disc, via Andy Dyson. I like My Proposal even less now. And yes, that's financial sour grapes talking.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Nobody hardly ever makes negative comments about John, they make them about the dunderheads who pay double the price for some of the records that he auctions when with 5 minutes work they could find them cheaper

:hatsoff2: Hi All .. Yes your right Pete. but I thought that was obvious to all. and over the years it is a question that has been raised but never answered, and at times gets very close to the mark, perhaps this would not be so if he had not chosen his name but used a company slogan? next time I will ender to make the point clearer to all, :g: you know me Pete I have to go around the Wrekin :ohmy: DAVE K 

Social source share

I love Johns write up,s brilliant sales talk puts in a lot of research I bet...But Billy Thompson Black eyed  girl  where only a handful are known.LOL he's gone well overboard with that statement I've had at least thirty copies since I got my first one in 1971 from John Dalton St Manchester where there was a rack full in the basement.....

Social source share

I love Johns write up,s brilliant sales talk puts in a lot of research I bet...But Billy Thompson Black eyed  girl  where only a handful are known.LOL he's gone well overboard with that statement

If you read closely, he's not saying Billy Thompson is one of only a handful.  He's stating that Wand is a label where some releases are known only by a handful of copies...   He doesn't get into the Billy Thompson-specific gibberish until after the profuse preface.

Edited by solidhit
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest son of stan

'Nothing to pick fault with...' I dunno about that...

I found an issue of that Tony Martin in a charity back in the 80s. I'd no idea what it sounded like but I''d seen it in this UK soul releases book / price guide that you could buy at the time. So i got really, really excited....

...until I got it home.

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

I agree with some earlier posters, Soul Incorperated rarity over quality. If it was twenty quid no one would want it. Ghastly.

Woh !

These debates always remind me of one of the abiding strengths of this scene.

And maybe what glues it and us all together.

ie,  we all have wildly different views on individual records, but nevertheless we all  ' tend ' to agree on the overall big picture [ ie that ' this music ' is really as good as anything similar in this world ].

Soul Incorporated - just about as good as it gets and as well as the Inticers, probably my 2 all time tunes......

I.M.H.O. [  of course ].  

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Joe,   "Keep on doing what your doing " I Love it,Thursdays wouldnt be the same without a bowl of sh******. Ihave in the past felt constrained to comment[being a state pensioner on £137.10p a week] but why not. It seems value /cost is not related to musical quality Soul Incorporated; JM;Offbeat Flirty Lead Vocal" to me ,out of tune and off key an average tuneful ditty, but £3.800,? Tony Martin a washed lounge lizard crooner when Berry took him on board in 1965 for the equally hapless/hopeless tmg 537 "The Bigger Your heart Is" ,Bob Kuban a no 6 US  66 pop hit at a equally massive £86,the lure of the big red "A" [ "Art On Vynil"]  do the winners ever listen to the music. Robert Parker, Sam Cooke, and Steve Karmen  musi c value ratio Len says Ten. .PS. Joe are you origanly from Torquay , if so many happy nights where spent in 1968 [full of Scrumpy and Pharmecueticals]in  ;Scotch, Yacht, Compass and Hot spot  Clubs LOL

hi, moved to north wales in 66 a few weeks before the world cup, used to go back over the years, remember the scotch club in ellacombe as it had had a few names before that, we used to go to the yacht and the 400 club which was right on the harbour side, lot of scooters around in 66 we went on runs to plymouth and exeter among other. a club called the key club in plymouth, went there a few times. most pubs wouldn't sell scrumpy to tourists as it was too strong for them, pubs that did watered it down or only sold half-pints.

Social source share

Woh !

These debates always remind me of one of the abiding strengths of this scene.

And maybe what glues it and us all together.

ie,  we all have wildly different views on individual records, but nevertheless we all  ' tend ' to agree on the overall big picture [ ie that ' this music ' is really as good as anything similar in this world ].

Soul Incorporated - just about as good as it gets and as well as the Inticers, probably my 2 all time tunes......

I.M.H.O. [  of course ].

Ha ha! can't stand Inticers either Pete. Sorry can't get smileys since the site upgrade.

Social source share

If you read closely, he's not saying Billy Thompson is one of only a handful.  He's stating that Wand is a label where some releases are known only by a handful of copies...   He doesn't get into the Billy Thompson-specific gibberish until after the profuse preface.

Beg to differ, i'm with Ian on this.... "the" mysteriously RARE 45 is what JM is saying about Billy Thompson. Read it closely solid :)  By the way, i was going to sell my copy expecting at least £300 :g: ... back in box now

Social source share

Beg to differ, i'm with Ian on this.... "the" mysteriously RARE 45 is what JM is saying about Billy Thompson. Read it closely solid :) By the way, i was going to sell my copy expecting at least £300 :g: ... back in box now

I think he's actually giving a summary of the label releases and the differing availabilities. Stand out and well known artists plus the obscure rarities on the label. Don't think it's a direct comment on rarity of BT.

Social source share

dunderheads nice Blackcountry word Pete :D reminds me of my Mum(she used it frequently in my direction :g: )

totally agree though,always follow the reports and like to join in the chat regarding auctions, inbetween knocking myself senseless for all the records i had that now appear as auction items :( (peanuts comes to mind)

Steve

Hey Steve,

You must of kept some stuff?

Social source share

.......and I have 'The Stoppers - Come Back Baby', and 'Kell Osborne - Quick Sand'.......but you don't want reminding really I suppose Steve :D 

Still play them / still enjoy them :wink: 

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

.......and I have 'The Stoppers - Come Back Baby', and 'Kell Osborne - Quick Sand'.......but you don't want reminding really I suppose Steve :D 

Still play them / still enjoy them :wink: 

Len :thumbsup: 

Hey Len,

Calm down - he'll think weve come to wind him up :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!