First Soul Single I Bought

Guest CARL D

Hi. Just sorting through a box of old bits+bobs, and i came across a note from Mick Smith, which states Gene Chandler-Bet You Never Thought-Constellation, enclosed, enjoy. Thinking back, i realised this was the first original label soul 45 i actually bought! I used to go record fairs in London in the late 80s, and first met Mick at one. I remember he also encouraged me to go to my first nighter at the 100 Club, so a double thankyou to Mr Smith! Anyway, back on topic, it would be interesting to hear what others first original label buys were? Cheers, Carl.

Social source share

Guest son of stan

I was buying soul records before i became aware of northern soul but i think the first one i got with some awareness would have been Barbara Mercer 'Hey!' on Golden World. Bought from Tudor House in Chester (alsogot a copy of 'Welcome to Dreamsville' on Stateside in there for a couple of quid around that time! Long gone now alas!)

First record I remember buying at an allnighter was Gil Scott Heron 'The Bottle (live version)' on US Arista 7. I looked through all these boxes and was kind of relieved to finally see something that I knew..Was disappointed that it was the live version when I got it home and it went at some point...but now realise it's a great veraion and seems to be quite an obscure release!

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Heard it through the Grapevine Marvin Gaye version

from Rock on Records in Camden Town 1979.

They said if you like that u might like these

and that was that 

Al H :)

Social source share

A killer-diller Barry White production which I bought with my pocket money @ 12 years old in 1967. Still stands up today and I like it every bit as much as when I bought it. And long before the term 'Northern Soul' was coined.....here's a GREAT clip of her singing it on 'Beat Club' for German TV....

Ian D  :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I think a lot of us I suspect bought motown records as good pop records as much as they were great soul records

I think from memory the first northern soul record I bought was much later than most around 1982 I bought dobie gray out on the floor on red charger records at a Morecambe pier all nighter I was working at in the bar in the main room

Great nights happy memories and records like this spencer davis keep on running len barry 123 were still getting plays and sounded great in such a large venue

Social source share

My record buying started off with all the usual pressings and disco demands from Syd Booths in Mansfield around 74/5 but my first proper original was The Parliaments - Don't Be Sore At Me…………….. although for the life of me i can't remember where / who i bought it from……….. :huh:

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Brooks and Jerry "I Got What It Takes,part 1and2 and 3 if we got time" 6 shillings and 8pence from Nems Records in Whitechapel,Liverpool, Yes Brian Epstiens shop. he boasted he had or could get any vynil your hearts disired.he had every motown lp on the shelf [inow collect said LPs and remember rejecting all the Lavishly titled 16 Big Hits etc, as none of them wher remotely Chartbusters in my parochial world, First record /artist /group, I ever loved lists usually encourage  giant white lies,so beig painfully honest the first record purchased was "Speedy Gonzales by pat Boone!

Social source share

On Doncaster market in the sixties there was a record stall that sold ex juke box singles (somewhere where the outdoor toilets are now) and he must have bought a job lot of old blue stax uk issues  1 shilling and sixpence each or four for 5 bob i bought these at the same time:

Eddie Floyd Big Bird

Booker T   Chinese Checkers

Carla Thomas Pick up the pieces

Linda Lyndell Bring your love back to me

bought them all blind because i knew of Booker T and Eddie Floyd   turned out not to be too bad a choice,still have them all

Edited by smudger
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I got into proper soul music quite late on in life compared to many on here - at school aged 16 (circa 1973) I had a brief flirtation with a Nazareth album (‘Razamanaz’) about the same time as me saying to a friend “why do I wanna watch lions and elephants juggling balls and stuff” when dismissing completely ‘Monty Pythons Flying Circus’ which was massive on TV at the time. When I did watch it I was too young to understand it.

Soon I’d started to listen and enjoy the various sweet pop soul releases by The Stylistics which were all over the radio at the time. My disco feet were starting to twitch.

I recall going to the pub one dinnertime with people from work possibly 1974 ish to celebrate somebody’s birthday or whatever and a girl kept putting this song on the jukebox. I even asked her what it was and the seed was planted.

Still sounds exceptionally cool today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onTzLFJ14tA

By the time I was late 17 I’d started to drink in town with all the big boys and frequent all those places you were advised not to drink in. One of them was The Ring Bar a mainly black bar underneath a hotel at the top end of town. It was 1975 and I was 18 and this burnt a hole straight through my mind. One Christmas there was the first time I got threatened with a knife for spilling a drink. The bar later got fire bombed by some rough types from Shipley so I’m told.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O78bo0uxf_Y

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Remember starting work in 1970 in Goole and a lad started the same day and we were to become firm friends to this day. When I got my first wage packet he told me that an older lad was selling a great record which I should buy. It was an LP Darling Baby by the Elgins and I was hooked

Social source share

I was buying vinyl from about 13/14 , mainly the jam and some Oi stuff but first soul record I ever bought was larry Houston - let's spend sometime together , July 1981, then it was Cheryl berdell - giving it all to you, I think I bought lady in red by ronnie dyson next but on that soul beat Boot with sister sledge on the flip..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

JD Bryant - I won't be coming back, re-issue shrine for a tenner thinking it was original, until I checked with my father-in-law who knew the score. His reply was "why isn't anybody else bidding on it?"

Shows how much I knew then lol....

Edited by Soul Stew
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Tony Clarke - Landslide / white label thing from Reddingtons in Birmingham, when they were in the underpass by Moore st Station...

didn't keep it long as my mate Pogo wanted it, so back I went to get something else...dont remember that record, but Jelly beans blk label boot, and Lou Johnson Burgundy label boot came pretty fast after that... would be 81/2, the year I started secondary school..

mal.C

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Edwin Starr - Agent Double O Soul - Tamla Motown 

Frankie Valli -The Night - Tamla Motown . 

Bought both for a quid each on the same day when I was 16 and life would never be the same again , the intro's just sent shivers down my spine and I knew I'd discovered a type of music that was unlike anything I'd ever heard before . 

Social source share

Bunny Sigler "Let the good times Roll"  Cameo Parkway, Doncaster market, 15 shilling :)

Donny was my first record buying place also.As a 14 year old in 1979 i trawled through Bradleys,Foxes,Angies,and the market to spend my pocket money.One of the first i bought was The Champion on uk London a big record at my local youthy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

if i were a carpenter / the four tops , doncaster market , remember that stall well 

Ooh yeah Gogger, next to knickers&bra stall, i remember :)

My next door but one neighbour  had a Haberdashery stall opposite

Edited by Labeat
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I recall going to the pub one dinnertime with people from work possibly 1974 ish to celebrate somebody’s birthday or whatever and a girl kept putting this song on the jukebox. I even asked her what it was and the seed was planted.

Still sounds exceptionally cool today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onTzLFJ14tA

A revolutionary record. Recorded on an organ for only $10 so legend has it. I was working at John Laing Men's clothes in Bradford when I heard this on the Dave Symonds Soul show late on a Saturday afternoon in 1972. "Why Can't We Live Together" was a major influence and is quite simply one of the coolest records ever pressed to plastic. It's incredible when a piece of music can take you right back to the exact time you heard it first isn't it?

Ian D :D  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

my first record buys werent soul they were trex solid gold easy action and elton john crocodile rock.About the same time i aquired my uncles record collection when he got married and moved out of my nans.Full of motown spencer davis etc,then started buying motown lps motown chart hits run etc.

Edited by Soultown andy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1969 first record I ever bought Tears of a Clown Smokey Robinson and the Miracles Tamla Motown from Elys in Castleford when I was 11. Can't remember the price.

Fast forward to 1975 just got into Northern Soul and went to Jumbo Records in Leeds and I think the first import single I purchased was on Red Coach -Universal Mind -Something Fishy a Going On from the bargain box on the counter. 

Same year remember going downstairs in Virgin Records in Leeds where they sold soul imports and a lot of Northern and coming out with a 'big tune' at the time George Benson Supership on CTI.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Probably Joe Simon "Step by Step",Jackie wilson "Sweetest",dished that by carrying a hot family sized pork pie from the butchers on it.!! Had a Jamo Thomas "i Spy" on polydor - dont know where that came from.

Oh and "Automatically sunshine" - Supremes....... :huh:

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!