First Soul Single I Bought

Guest CARL D

I got into proper soul music quite late on in life compared to many on here - at school aged 16 (circa 1973) I had a brief flirtation with a Nazareth album (‘Razamanaz’) about the same time as me saying to a friend “why do I wanna watch lions and elephants juggling balls and stuff” when dismissing completely ‘Monty Pythons Flying Circus’ which was massive on TV at the time. When I did watch it I was too young to understand it.

Soon I’d started to listen and enjoy the various sweet pop soul releases by The Stylistics which were all over the radio at the time. My disco feet were starting to twitch.

I recall going to the pub one dinnertime with people from work possibly 1974 ish to celebrate somebody’s birthday or whatever and a girl kept putting this song on the jukebox. I even asked her what it was and the seed was planted.

Still sounds exceptionally cool today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onTzLFJ14tA

Well Derek had to phone my sister about this track she was a rocker into Led Zepplin etc but she brought this home when I was 12 & I begged her & begged her for this track, she had forgotten but God how that made me smile when listening, memories nobody can ever take them away THANKS :yes:

Kirsty

Social source share

I'm in the US and not a Northern person but I first started buying records mid? 1969, 25 Miles, Tears of a Clown were big favorites to me and still are, both huge hits here in the US. The first obscure soul records I bought without having any knowledge of what they was probably I Don't Want To Lose You by the Bell Boys, Lonely World by the Sensations, Keep Loving You by Silky Hargraves, Together Again by the Shaddows, and some others I forgot, bought at flea markets in the greater Cleveland area 1981-1982 also got several 45s by the Nombres as they were a local band to where I was junking records at the time. I wasn't really aware of Northern Soul until the mid 1980s.

Social source share

I was buying vinyl from about 13/14 , mainly the jam and some Oi stuff but first soul record I ever bought was larry Houston - let's spend sometime together , July 1981, then it was Cheryl berdell - giving it all to you, I think I bought lady in red by ronnie dyson next but on that soul beat Boot with sister sledge on the flip.

Larry Houston, Cheryl Berdell, Ronnie Dyson & Sister Sledge. Maybe out of fashion nowadays but massive tunes of their time, brilliant!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!