How? Flyers, T'internet

Chalky

How?  

1. 1. Just how do you hear about all the various Soul promotions up down the country?

• Flyers
    • T'internet
    • word of mouth

• Replies 38
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Ok, just how do you hear about all the various Soul Nights and All-nighters promoited every week.

Do you still rely on Flyers? or is the Internet the main place to promote events?

How about a button for all of the above, cuz that is how I tend to hear things

Social source share

How about a button for all of the above, cuz that is how I tend to hear things

If out and about and on the internet regualarly I'd agree, but just wanted to get a general idea as to where you hear about an event first. For me it's usually the internet, unless it's handed to me I rarely pick up a flyer these days.

I know it's early days but no one yet voted for a flyer....are these becoming redundant and a waste of time and paper?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Good topic Chalky.

Although i still do pick up flyers when i'm out... it's usually the ones that are made out of strong card that i favour... not to read what's on it... although i do... it's because they're better to fan yourself with! :lol:wink.gif

Have to say these days i tend to use the internet more to find out what's on.

Social source share

If out and about and on the internet regualarly I'd agree, but just wanted to get a general idea as to where you hear about an event first. For me it's usually the internet, unless it's handed to me I rarely pick up a flyer these days.

I know it's early days but no one yet voted for a flyer....are these becoming redundant and a waste of time and paper?

Whoops i pressed flyers by mistake wink.gif was ment to click t'internet.

Main allnighters i use the nighter dates 2006 can scan well inadvance for forthcoming promotions im a regular at, but soul nights, and more local do's usually go by word of mouth or flyers, usually get a thread on here for some of the local do's but most of the time hear about them well in advance of that.

Wouldn't say flyers are not needed any more, never really pick them up but always give them a read on the tables, so would say they are still a valuable source :lol:

Social source share

Good topic Chalky.

Although i still do pick up flyers when i'm out... it's usually the ones that are made out of strong card that i favour... not to read what's on it... although i do... it's because they're better to fan yourself with! :lol::D

I think those double sided card type flyers are a pain in the neck, gettin a real bugger to find summat decent to scibble notes,details of records and addresses and telephone numbers, oh and e-mail addresses on laugh.gif:Dwink.gif

Social source share

Hi Chalky,

As a promoter i think it's a case of using all of the above methods these days with so many nights on at the moment but forums such as this one seem to be playing a bigger part in promoting.

We seem to get quite a good feedback from promotional text messages as well as it adds a personal touch & we have noticed more venues are now doing the same.

Social source share

I travel all over the UK with my work so you can't rely on 'picking up flyers' nor on small circulation mags, worse still magazines owned by promoters. The internet is the best mechanism for a pan-UK view of the scene. Its even attracted me to going to Hitsville in US, Oslo and Rimini, which for all their importance flyers wouldn't.

Social source share

Ok, just how do you hear about all the various Soul Nights and All-nighters promoited every week.

Do you still rely on Flyers? or is the Internet the main place to promote events?

Logically, the highest vote amongst the people on this site will be the internet, but what about all the people without internet access. There still are some. It's just the members here are cyber savvy, so would aurtomatically use the net to find out what's on.

Social source share

Guest Brian J

Good topic Chalky.

Although i still do pick up flyers when i'm out... it's usually the ones that are made out of strong card that i favour... not to read what's on it... although i do... it's because they're better to fan yourself with! laugh.giflaugh.gif

They make better roaches as well! :lol:

Social source share

Logically, the highest vote amongst the people on this site will be the internet, but what about all the people without internet access. There still are some. It's just the members here are cyber savvy, so would aurtomatically use the net to find out what's on.

I still dish out / have distributed by obliging contacts etc., flyers as & when / wherever , for The Corner Pocket at Mexborough , South Yorkshire ( every third Saturday of the Month ) as I feel that this is still the expected medium by people / punters in order to advertise / plug a night or venue ..... but as the months go on , this tried and tested method of advertising is not / now guaranteed of getting you noticed , as your handbill , despite however attractive / eye catching it is ( mine being a jolly good one featuring all the respective information for The Corner Pocket at Mexborough , South Yorkshire , as well as a nice picture of Major Lance ) , as it becomes part of - and lost in - the growing paper mountain on tables ; not everyone attending venues picks up and takes your flyer , as the majority quickly scans them and puts them back down . The amount we bin after every third Saturday of the month at The Corner Pocket at Mexborough , South Yorkshire , saddens me .

The use of internet sites to advertise nights / venues such as The Corner Pocket at Mexborough , South Yorkshire ( every third Saturday of the month ) is growing , and judging by the response in the poll , will soon become the accepted way of advertising / letting people know about a venue / night . Handbills will still be around ( for me , old habits die hard ) at venues / nights , but to paraphrase Peter Kay , " I have seen the future , it's not garlic bread , it's the t'internet "

Malc Burton

Promoter , The Corner Pocket , Mexborough , South Yorkshire

Every third Saturday of the month - Saturday September 16th : SEAN CHAPMAN

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I still dish out / have distributed by obliging contacts etc., flyers as & when / wherever , for The Corner Pocket at Mexborough , South Yorkshire ( every third Saturday of the Month ) as I feel that this is still the expected medium by people / punters in order to advertise / plug a night or venue ..... but as the months go on , this tried and tested method of advertising is not / now guaranteed of getting you noticed , as your handbill , despite however attractive / eye catching it is ( mine being a jolly good one featuring all the respective information for The Corner Pocket at Mexborough , South Yorkshire , as well as a nice picture of Major Lance ) , as it becomes part of - and lost in - the growing paper mountain on tables ; not everyone attending venues picks up and takes your flyer , as the majority quickly scans them and puts them back down . The amount we bin after every third Saturday of the month at The Corner Pocket at Mexborough , South Yorkshire , saddens me .

Malc Burton

Malc if I'm every stuck in Monk Bretton, Barnsley on the third Saturday of the month can you recommend a club?

Social source share

Malc if I'm every stuck in Monk Bretton, Barnsley on the third Saturday of the month can you recommend a club?

Not heard of any good clubs in Monk Bretton ( there must be one ) except The Londoner , but that burnt down years ago ; an electrical fault they say .....

Otherwise , a five iron .

Don't be stuck in Monk Bretton on a third Saturday of a month - get unstuck and get down to see us at The Corner Pocket in Mexborough . Guest DJ on September 16th is Sean Chapman .

Malc

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

think this thread is from the punter to promoter perspective although you have included email which would presumable be the other way round, promoter to punter, for those promoters that build email lists and so on.

If you could measure the number of people you got through the door, compared to no of flyers issued, no of emails sent, no of texts sent etc I would say, based on experience, text messages are far and away the best. Takes effort to do and not many seem to do it.

Social source share

think this thread is from the punter to promoter perspective although you have included email which would presumable be the other way round, promoter to punter, for those promoters that build email lists and so on.

If you could measure the number of people you got through the door, compared to no of flyers issued, no of emails sent, no of texts sent etc I would say, based on experience, text messages are far and away the best. Takes effort to do and not many seem to do it.

I raised the topic pourely to try ascertain which method is the most effective and alosm which is the first place most hear about an event.. I'm also interested in the promoters point of view.

From what I've seen in recent times the internet would be the most effective way to get news of your event out there in the public. Like I said I hardly pick a flyer up these days.

As for texts I usually know about the event before having read it on the internet as that is trhe place where most events are advertised first.

I wanted an option that read Flyers & Internet!

why? you don't read about an event from a flyer whilst reading the internet at the same time do you? I wanted to know where you first read or heard about an event so can't be both, it's either one or the other?

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Wouldn't say flyers are not needed any more, never really pick them up but always give them a read on the tables, so would say they are still a valuable source :wicked:

I read the flyers on the tables when i'm out and like Joan says there are some excellent flyers these days, the Scenesville ones were always superb and worth collecting.

Seems to me though that flyers are a good indication of how many events are on these days, even at local soul nights the tables are covered in flyers and at niters (especially Stoke) you can't see the table tops. When the flyers stop appearing maybe we should get worried (or not depending on if you think there's too much on).

They are a valuable source of paper too, if you want to write down some record details.. :lol:

M.

Social source share

I read the flyers on the tables when i'm out and like Joan says there are some excellent flyers these days, the Scenesville ones were always superb and worth collecting.

Seems to me though that flyers are a good indication of how many events are on these days, even at local soul nights the tables are covered in flyers and at niters (especially Stoke) you can't see the table tops. When the flyers stop appearing maybe we should get worried (or not depending on if you think there's too much on).

They are a valuable source of paper too, if you want to write down some record details.. :wicked:

M.

How many flyers are left behind though these days? Most of em judging by the beer soaked papier mache left on the tables at the end of the night.

Social source share

you would think so Dave in reality but I think those who do go out and take the trouble to vote get the promotion from all the options in the poll but I'm just interested in what has the greater impact these days and if flyers are becoming less important.

Many who are more than capable with the internet still rely on flyers, others aren't. Some only go for venues with a well produced flyer, some couldn't care what the flyer looked like. I know not gonna get a true reflection of the best methodf of promotion but will at least get a good idea.

Social source share

I'm often asked to put Flyers out for people, and to be honest the situation is getting a little laughable, as I'm often putting the flyers onto a pile of about another 10 flyers on each table. I'm becoming increasingly sceptical about the value of this form of communication. Many people either quote "On The Scene" or "Soul Source" as their primary sources of venue information.

Social source share

I'm often asked to put Flyers out for people, and to be honest the situation is getting a little laughable, as I'm often putting the flyers onto a pile of about another 10 flyers on each table. I'm becoming increasingly sceptical about the value of this form of communication. Many people either quote "On The Scene" or "Soul Source" as their primary sources of venue information.

I personally think a table near the entrance would be a better option than to spread them all over tables to use as beer mats :wicked: It would please more venue managers as well when it comes to cleaning up :lol:

Social source share

anybody seen the new east anglian soul club cd rom flyers that contain a mini movie trailer for their event?

:lol:

THAT'S the future, people take it home and look at it, listen to it and actually enjoy the esperience and some have said to be collecting them thinking there may be a whole series!!

:wicked::wicked:

Social source share

I personally think a table near the entrance would be a better option than to spread them all over tables to use as beer mats :wicked: It would please more venue managers as well when it comes to cleaning up :lol:
Spot on, and that's exactly what they used to do at Lea Manor, makes good sense. I do think that flyers are as important as the internet though as there are still lots of people who don't own pc's
Social source share

Guest southpaw

Tend to listen to word of mouth from mates etc

Social source share

you mean someone actually reads 'on the scene'? Only place ive ever seen a copy is annesley and i think that was cos they were advertising.

Correct me if i'm wrong please cos might invest in an ad if it really is read by a lot.

Hi Glyn , I subscribe to it,comes in handy for the events listings....lots of folk do read it,only 10 quid a year an all

Bazza

Social source share

Guest soul kitten

do tend to glance at flyers and do take some home although these usually have phone numbers of people i ve been talking to then forget who they were the next day :D

think the more effort thats gone into a flyer the more attention i give it ,ones with label scans on tend to use to mop up beer or misses makes fans with them :yes:

got to admit was proud of the Team America flyer did for Melodies last year and did get loads of calls from it but then again did post on flyer section on here. :D

nowadays tend to look on events page on here and don t look at flyer section so what im saying in a very long winded way :thumbsup: is both.

Social source share

How many flyers are left behind though these days? Most of em judging by the beer soaked papier mache left on the tables at the end of the night.

Chalky, good post. I've stopped doing table Flyers, as you say they end up getting soaked. I've bought a £400 A3 business printer and these A3 Flyers are now the mean source of advertising; stick them in the mens loo, what else can a fella do when he's havin' a wazz!

Internet, although informative still only hit's about 30-55% of punters so it's then back to Flyers, word of mouth or Magazines.

As for collecting flyers; take a look at Andy's flyers for the Valley Soul Commando's in Wales, fan-bloody-tastic. The latest one is entitled; "pocket of VSC atmosphere" with a bag of Talc stappled to the label, inspired :yes:

Social source share

That's interesting Lloyd. You're saying just a few strategically placed fliers are worth more than a few hundred table ones? Cool...

I'll bear that in mind!

As for collecting flyers; take a look at Andy's flyers for the Valley Soul Commando's in Wales

I'll agree with that statement! He should be in bloody advertising, if he isn't already!

Andy, can you help me with a good flier for what I'm proposing? :yes:

Social source share

That's interesting Lloyd. You're saying just a few strategically placed fliers are worth more than a few hundred table ones? Cool...

I'll bear that in mind!

I'll agree with that statement! He should be in bloody advertising, if he isn't already!

Andy, can you help me with a good flier for what I'm proposing? whistling.gif

Chap I know emailed his buddies the flyers,asked em to print a 100 or so each ,and hand em out...cheeky.....( I was soft enough to do it ) needless to say is event failed,I think flyers are important and tinternet,well I use both ,and "on the scene"(dont like to miss owt),but if I could only use one ..it would be tinternet

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

quote name='jumpinjoan' date='Aug 20 2006, 12:28 PM' post='335162'] Good topic Chalky.

Although i still do pick up flyers when i'm out... it's usually the ones that are made out of strong card that i favour... not to read what's on it... although i do... it's because they're better to fan yourself with! :D:D

Social source share

quote name='jumpinjoan' date='Aug 20 2006, 12:28 PM' post='335162'] Good topic Chalky.

Although i still do pick up flyers when i'm out... it's usually the ones that are made out of strong card that i favour... not to read what's on it... although i do... it's because they're better to fan yourself with! :yes::yes:

Joan thanks for the inspiration :yes:sad.gif:yes:

and I have one specially for youfan_flyer755.jpg(post-3008-1156416054.jpfan_flyer2756.jpg(post-3008-1156416098.j

Got to agree - your new flyers are FANtastic :yes:

Not only good for cooling yourself down, but also great for gently tapping people accross the bottom :(

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!