Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Dave Moore

Gauguin Smashes World Record

At 300million (That's almost a third of a BILLION dollars!).

Got to admit, when I looked at the Top 10  I was a bit surprised to see what I'd consider crap paintings. Granted I'm no so called art expert but I'm not blind either! LOL!  

I guess there's a parallel with collecting anything, including records eh?  Think the Sheik thought.... "eee that looks grand, I'll have to buy it"?

Regards,

Dave

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31183733

Hi Dave,

Depends what you mean by 'crap paintings' - do you mean not very realistic? We have photography for that...painting's not a technical arm wrestling contest to see how 'well' you can paint - it's all about emotion, use of colour, texture, composition, all that stuff.

When people say "I could do that" I respond by saying "well, why don't YOU do it then?"

I compare it to guitar playing - the lies of Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai etc, may be technically brilliant but they DO NOT do it for me - it's music, not hand sport!

Having said all that.....£300 MILLION???????!!!!!!!

Talkin of art, reminded me of last year, I went along to a show/exhibition about Autism in Manchester, where some artworks were on display, I like the idea of art coming through someone who views the world differently.

Having said that I did'nt buy one, which I regretted later on.  :(

Appreciation of the arts is one of the few things that really differentiates humans as a species, it ties into self awareness, consciousness & our understanding of mortality, animals do not have this.

Saying that, that's an eye watering sum.

There are moral questions about amounts like that, but the same applies to footballers & rappers so it's all relative & the buyer can obviously afford it.

You might well ask the same questions of the recent buyers of Eddie Parker or Darrell Banks.

Edited by MrsWoodsrules

Hi Dave,

Depends what you mean by 'crap paintings' - do you mean not very realistic? We have photography for that...painting's not a technical arm wrestling contest to see how 'well' you can paint - it's all about emotion, use of colour, texture, composition, all that stuff.

When people say "I could do that" I respond by saying "well, why don't YOU do it then?"

I compare it to guitar playing - the lies of Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai etc, may be technically brilliant but they DO NOT do it for me - it's music, not hand sport!

Having said all that.....£300 MILLION???????!!!!!!!

Yep,

I understand all that. But to me they looked like crap paintings. to someone else they may be the dog's danglies. I just fail to see what all the fuss (300 million $$s worth), is all about.  :wink:

Now if someone asked me what I thought of this: 

post-1369-0-52368100-1423412396_thumb.pn

That would be a different matter. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think that that Jackson Pollack is crap.

Regards,

Dave

Yep,

I understand all that. But to me they looked like crap paintings. to someone else they may be the dog's danglies. I just fail to see what all the fuss (300 million $$s worth), is all about. :wink:

Now if someone asked me what I thought of this:

Snap 2015-02-08 at 17.18.39.png

That would be a different matter. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think that that Jackson Pollack is crap.

Regards,

Dave

It's a good point Dave, but these questions should be asked in context.

At or at least I mean it's not fair to compare oranges with lemons.

I was in the Vatican this summer & that stuff really blew me away, but I've also been to many modern art exhibitions (usually Tate L'pool) & I can tell you lots of that stuff has had me loving it, even when I sometimes didn't understand it, like Mark Rothko for example, didn't have a clue, but loved it & I couldn't even tell you why?

So I guess my point is, it's all relative.

And as for the ridiculous sums payed, well that's relative too & we in the world of NS should understand that better than most.

Edited by MrsWoodsrules

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts