Rafa Club Newton Aycliffe 7Th Feb 2015 Ginger Taylor

great playlists every time i look :yes: ................long way from gloucester  in febuary tho........dammitt..ez

What Ezzie says though even further to flippin' Tokyo though! One day...

:thumbsup:

Social source share

SERIOUS SHADES OF SOUL

THE RAFA CLUB NEWTON AYCLIFFE DL57AL, 7th FEBRUARY 2015, GUEST DJ’s STEVE DAVIDSON, NIGE GRICE, RESIDENT RARE SOUL DJs PAUL ACKLEY AND IAN SHOULDER AND SPECIAL GUEST DJ “GINGER” TAYLOR.

Opening up the night, we got there about 7.10pm to set up but punters already in the place waiting for the fireworks to start, visitors all the way from Wolverhampton??????????? Quickly set up and within a few minutes we were rolling and more coming through the doors — The power of “Ginger”? Co promoter Ian Shoulder (fresh from a visit to Houston Texas) set things away while people found their seats with:

Ian Shoulder: 7.15pm - 8.00pm

1984 Love Machine — You’re breaking my heart - Melon

La Reine La Mar — That’s not the way to love - Cloud

Job Orchestra — Don’t want that illusion

Houston Outlaws — Ain’t no telling — Westbound

Players IV — The two of us — Knoll

Buck Rogers — Take it from me girl — 21st Century

Alex Brown — I’m not responsible - Sundi

Shamettes — don’t waste your time — Gold Dust

Imaginations — Strange Neighbourhood —Fraternity

Roy Hamilton — The panic is on — MGM

Hesitations — Clap your hands — LP

Freddie Butler — Save your love — Wheelsville

Hesitations — That’s what love is — LP

Holliday’s — I lost you — Groove City

Monitors — Since I lost you girl — LP

Magnificent 7 — Never will I — Dial

Posse — Evil — Janus

A nice little bunch of 45’s to get things kicked off from Ian — straying from his usual set of records to set the tone for the night.

Getting there real early is a must for the dj’s so that they can hear what’s gone on before them and no exception from Northumberland’s finest — Steve Davidson, arriving well early with wife Kim and “Big John” all regulars at the Rafa Club here in Newton Aycliffe. Straight to the decks — this is what he did for us:

Steve Davidson — 8.00pm — 9.00pm

Generation — He left me — Sidra

Chico, Barbara and Junior — Don’t cry — Mel

Bob and Gene — I really really love you — MoDo

Sultans — I wanna Know — Ascot

Precisions — I wanna tell my baby — D Town

Bobby St James — Taking for a ride — Watts

Candy — “Alternative Version” (and what a version too — unknown by all collectors including John M / Adey Croasdale)

Rod Keith — You’re leaving me — Preview

Soundsations — Mr Sensation — Bye

“Compromise” — C/U

Locations — Mr Diamond Man — Ron Paul

Cashmeres — Showstopper — Hem

Cody Black — Mr Blue — D Town

JJ Barnes — Lonely no more — Mickay’s

Johnny Hampton — Not my girl — Dottys

Lillie Bryant — Meet me halfway — Tayster

Troy Dodds — Try my love — El Camino

John McKinney and the Magnetics — I’ll keep holding on — Sable

Otis Lee — Hard road to hoe — Quaint

Charles Sheffield — Voo Doo working — Excello

Mel Britt — She’ll keep coming back — FIP

Frankie Beverley — Because of my heart — Fairmount

Appreciations — It’s better to cry — Sport

The Group feat’ Cecil Washington — I don’t like to lose — Pro Phonics

Jimmy Wallace — I’ll be back — Alpha

He’ll be back alright! Never failing to play something different and something we’ve not heard before, those that heard the “other” version of Candy got a real treat and his cover up “Compromise” was great to hear. $5.00 records the lot of ‘em as he tells his missus Kim...

Paul and Jayne arriving early meant we all got an early set from Paul Ackley and the place was bouncing by now, never failing to impress anyone who attends the Rafa Club or who reads these play lists, the boy set off as he meant to go along setting the standards for the night:

Paul Ackley — 9.00pm — 9.30pm

Admirations — You left me - Peaches

Out of Sights — For the rest of my life — Saru

The Invaders — Best is yet to come — Brewtown

Magnetics — Heart you’re made of stone — Bonnie

Antellects — Love slave  - Flodavieur

The Tranells  - Blessed with a love — Flo-Jo

Al Williams  - I am nothing  - La-Beat

Professionals  - That’s why I love you — Groove City

Capitals  - Can’t deny that I love you  - Omen

Ernestine Eady — Let’s talk it over  - Phil-LA

Chuck Holiday — Just Can’t trust nobody — Gloria

Eddie Billups  - Ask my heart — Peachtree

Eddie Whitehead — Just your fool — Black Jack

A baker’s dozen of 45’s from Paul, what more can I say — marvellous....

First set by Ginger followed Paul and he knew what he had to do to maintain the high standards of 45’s played. Experience of a man dj’ing on the Northern Soul scene for so many years never phased him at all and that big presence at the decks and mic’ flowed out with:

Ginger Taylor 9.30pm — 10.00pm

Karmello Brooks - Tell me baby — Milestone

George Pepp — The Feeling is real — Coleman

Lil’ Major Williams - Girl don’t leave me  - Williams III

Richard Caiton — I like to get near you  - Up-Tight

Ellipsis  - People  - Briarmeade

Soul Incorporated  - My proposal — Coconut Groove

Vivian Jones — Money can’t buy my love  - Lark

Poets — Wrapped around your finger — J-2

Tommy Ridgley — My love is getting stronger — International City

Earnestine Eady — Let’s talk it over  - Phil — LA (Ooops Ginger, Paul  played it in previous set, 1000 lines — “I must get there early to hear to other dj’s sets so that nothing is repeated”. But hey, such top quality...)

Master Four — Love has taken wings  - Tayster

Some fantastic records played there from Ginger with people buzzing over George Pepp’s “The  Feeling is real” and the cool sounds of Richard Caiton. Dance floor really going now and all dj’s itching to get to the decks to deliver quality northern soul. Next up is now local boy, Nige Grice (Nige living here now and no doubt we’ll see more of him).

Nige Grice — 10.00pm — 10.30pm

Jokers  - Soul Sound  - Sko Field

Ivorys  - Please stay = Despenza

Gene Toones  - What more do you want  - Simco

Jimmy Burns  - I really love you  - Erica

The Hamilton Movement — She’s Gone  - Look Out

Jo Jama  - It’s my life  - Optimum

Bobby Kline  - Say Something nice — MB

Darrow Fletcher  - What have I got now — Jacklynn

Pat and the Blenders — Just because — Fast Eddie

Bessie Banks  - Don’t worry baby — Quality

Bonnie Herman — Hush don’t cry — Columbia

Such a great DJ is Nige — just playing what the mixed crowd wanted — records to dance to.

Paul Ackley returning for his second set and if you haven’t witnessed this man’s records before — you must come and hear the sets, they are sublime............

Paul Ackley — 10.30 — 11.00pm

Tommy and the Derbys — Don’t play the role — Swing

Jimmy Bo Horne — I can’t speak — Dade

Flash McKinley — I’ll rescue you  - Bombay

Patrinelle staten — Little love affair — Sepia

Del Larks  - Job Opening — Queen City

Eddie Parker  - I’m gone  - Awake

Timmie Williams  - Competition — Mala

Junior Mc Cants  - Try me for your new love — King

Appointments — I saw you there — Delite

Dennis Edwards — I didn’t have to — International Soulsville

Lester Tipton — This won’t change — La Beat

Jimmy Bo Horne, Patrinelle Staten, Del Larks, Eddie Parker, Timmie Williams, the sooo rare Junior McCants and finishing with Lestor Tipton — perfect. (Lestor Tipton recorded “Change” in 1966 and to improve his music career he moved from Detroit, to Los Angeles in the 1970's trying to make it in the music business. He was beaten to death at his Los Angeles home while disturbing some burglars 9-February-1982- America, it can only happen there.)

Final set from our main guest dj Ginger Taylor and he’s right up for it — here goes, one hour of “NORTHERN SOUL”!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ginger Taylor  - 11.00pm — 12.00 midnight

Betty Wilson — I’m yours  - Dayco

The Parliaments  - Thgis is my rainy day - Cabell

Margaret Little  - Love finds a way — Genebro

Jackie Beavers  - I need my baby — Revilot

Just Brothers  - Carlena — Garrison

JT Parker — If you want to hold on — Academy

Jonathan Capree — Gonna build me a mountain — Ox-Bow

Walter and the Admerations  - Man Oh Man — La-Cindy

William Powell — Heartache Souvenirs — Powerhouse

Billy Harner  - What about the music — Kama sutra

Brenda Holloway — He’s my kinda fellah — 10” Acetate

JJ Barnes  - Show me  - 10” Acetate

Gino Parkes — For this I thank you  - Tamla

Tommy Good  - Gotta gat away — 10” Acetate (Found in a skip at Motown many years ago by Pete Lowry from Carlisle and fortunately recovered by Pete. “Recoat” is written all over the label as it should have had the wax melted off the metal base acetate so that it could be recovered and used for a new acetate / recording, the things you find in skips eh?)

Herman Hitson — Love slipped through my fingers — 7” Acetate

Tony Middleton — Paris Blues — Mala — specially played for the Newcastle crowd, good to see so many of them again.

Tamala Lewis  - You won’t say nothing  - Marton

Nancy Wicox — He’ll be leaving you — 10” Acetate (Superb unreleased New York city Pied Piper production record and massive for Ginger all over the UK and Europe)

Harvey Averne Dozen — Never learned to dance  - Uptight ( Massive New York 7th Avenue  spin)

Lil Major Williams  - Girl you’re so sweet, you’re so fine  - Williams III (Might as well play both sides when they’re this good)

Papa Bear and the Cubs — You’re so fine  - SMS

J.D Bryant  - I won’t be coming back — Shrine

Ward Burton  - Sweet Temptation — Panther

Most of the records played by Ginger were on the free cd of the night and the 50 that were made disappeared in no time with many people requesting one, if you were there and you missed out — let me know and I’ll make you one for postage costs only.

The 10” acetates were something special played by Ginger and many punters loving the Jonathan Capree and Walter and the Admerations  tracks (on the cd) — Check out the flip side to Man Oh Man — as played here at the rafa Club By John Parker, absolute class.

I’m sure Ginger loved playing the above records and gracious in his appearance meant loads to us at the club but special thanks have got to go to you all who attended the night as without the support there will be no rare soul nights at the Rafa Club. Thanks for everything folks.

We’re not finished yet as the final half hour or so meant Nige Grice had to finish off by playing some old floor fillers which rounded the night off to perfection — here’s how it all ended — in classical style.

Nige Grice  - 12.00 — 12.30am

Lenny Curtis  - Nothing can help me — END

Silky Hargreaves  - keep loving me  - Dearborn

Eula Cooper  - Let our love grow higher — Super Sound

Mikki Farrow  - Set my heart at ease — Karate

Elbie Parker  - Please keep away from me  - Veep

The Ringleaders  - baby what has happened to our love  - M-pac

James Barnett — Keep on talking  - Fame

Lee Fields  - Take me back — Angle 3

Dorothy Williams  - The well’s gone dry — Goldwax

The Four Voices  - My love is getting stronger — Voice

Kurt Harris  - Emperor of my baby’s heart — Diamond

Tobi Legend  - Time will pass you by — Mala

One of the best soul nights at the rafa club without a doubt and as noted above — without the support from the soul fans we’d have nothing, so many thanks to the folk who came all the way from Wolverhampton — they said they had a great time and we appreciated such dedication to hear rare soul music ovo.  Geoff and Margaret from Clitheroe — here again, thank you, Bill from Scotland, people from Northampton, Carlisle, the Newcastle crew (too many to mention)  John Parker and Wife from Beverley (must have him back dj,ing soon - up for it John?) the Peterlee crew and all of the locals who support us month in month out.

Next month we have Dave and Brain Pinch from Doncaster making their 3rd appearance and it will be every bit as good as the above — please come along — you’ll love it.........

Cheers folks — regards Paul.

Fantastic night

Fabulous company and hospitality

As for the music quality...the playlists say it all...

In reply to Paul S....yep love to come back to play a few tunes...just let me know

Be back soon...

John P

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

I  say this every time Paul Ack play list awesome and the other Dj's real quality probably one of the best venues at the moment , you promoters should be real proud.

Social source share

Hi Paul thanks for the lovely welcome you gave us. Still buzzing from Saturday. For rare/class music the only place I've been to that comes close is the 100 club . If you like rare soul you must give this place a try. Thanks to Ian and all the great people up there. The Wolverhampton crew.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!