In Praise Of 'disco Shit'

One of the most common insults on 'Soul Source' is the dimissive term 'disco shit'. Sometimes it accurately describes a poor '70s record but it is often used indiscriminately, to trash good uptempo soul, which could easily be played and is increasingly collectable.

In another thread Steve G posted an old review from 'Blackbeat' which read -

"Stargard "I'll always love you" (MCA)

This is going to be huge. No ifs, no buts, from 1978 featuring Rochelle Runnels, Debra Anderson and Janice Williams, who deliver the vocals with the power of a neutron bomb, imagine Shirley Brown and Aretha rolled into one, you got the picture. Don't be put off by their image, this is devastating. Phew!"

So can we have suggestions of great records from the 'disco era' that are collectable soul any format will do but those tantalising 7" babies are always the best.

Edited by soulfulsaint
Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

One of the most common insults on 'Soul Source' is the dimissive term 'disco shit'. Sometimes it accurately describes a poor '70s record but it is often used indiscriminately, to trash good uptempo soul, which could easily be played and is increasingly collectable.

In another thread Steve G posted an old review from 'Blackbeat' which read -

"Stargard "I'll always love you" (MCA)

This is going to be huge. No ifs, no buts, from 1978 featuring Rochelle Runnels, Debra Anderson and Janice Williams, who deliver the vocals with the power of a neutron bomb, imagine Shirley Brown and Aretha rolled into one, you got the picture. Don't be put off by their image, this is devastating. Phew!"

So can we have suggestions of great records from the 'disco era' that are collectable soul any format will do but those tantalising 7" babies are always the best.

Well of course, I'd have to go with the above Stargard track, Stuart.

Its magnificent!

Such vision and foresight by the reviewer... :lol:

Also rate "Crowding In On My Mind" by Shirley Brown and "Just To Be Close To You" by Sandra Feva, both on 45 and both very reminiscent of the Cheryll Burdell track "Giving it all To You" which many thought was Disco Shit when first played.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Guilty as charged your honour :lol:

I would just like to point out, that it is really a bit of a joke and just abit of a wind up term, just me and my crap sense of humour, so never take it to heart wink.gif

Social source share

Disco a perfect foil for the North American Black voice . That high hat of the mecca 70's and today's Neo House just gets you skipping onto the dancefloor . How about this for Modern Soul disco

https://www.traxsource.com/index.php?act=sh..._id&cv=4782

Awesome ..Download only..... till Xmas , i think

7'' wise

Maboo , Bill Harris , Double Exposure , Luther Davis Group , Record Player ..Pow Pow !!

Sonic Explosion , Dynamic upsetters on Mega ..etc etc

Simon

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Well of course, I'd have to go with the above Stargard track, Stuart.

Its magnificent!

Such vision and foresight by the reviewer... :lol:

Also rate "Crowding In On My Mind" by Shirley Brown and "Just To Be Close To You" by Sandra Feva, both on 45 and both very reminiscent of the Cheryll Burdell track "Giving it all To You" which many thought was Disco Shit when first played.

Sean Hampsey

I belive the original review won a Puliter Prize - congratulations Sean. Anyone who doesn't have a soft spot for disco shit like Mixed Feelings 'Sha La La' (United 7") must have a hard heart.

Social source share

I belive the original review won a Puliter Prize - congratulations Sean. Anyone who doesn't have a soft spot for disco shit like Mixed Feelings 'Sha La La' (United 7") must have a hard heart.

Even Keb and Butch play disco now , ..... does Guy H , perhaps not :lol:

Social source share

Anyone who doesn't have a soft spot for disco shit like Mixed Feelings 'Sha La La' (United 7") must have a hard heart.

Well it is a soft record that lacks any go what so ever. pants basicly all IMVHO :wicked:

Who sung heart made of stone :lol:

Social source share

Disco a perfect foil for the North American Black voice . That high hat of the mecca 70's and today's Neo House just gets you skipping onto the dancefloor . How about this for Modern Soul disco

https://www.traxsource.com/index.php?act=sh..._id&cv=4782

Awesome ..Download only..... till Xmas , i think

7'' wise

Maboo , Bill Harris , Double Exposure , Luther Davis Group , Record Player ..Pow Pow !!

Sonic Explosion , Dynamic upsetters on Mega ..etc etc

Simon

Slightly of thread has anyone got a Mp3/soundfile of the "Sonic Explosion" 45 they can send me,TIA.

Dave f..........

Even Keb and Butch play disco now , ..... does Guy H , perhaps not :wicked:

No he plays Deep Funk :wicked::lol:

Dave f...............

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!