90T's Nighter Tunes

hullsoul

Shifty was spinning She'll Be Gone...

Lenny Carlena....

Mick Lyons Take A Giant Step....

Big Scotty Black Wings Has My Angel

Sombody spinning Too Many People Bobby Goldsboro 3 times at Keel Xmas party 1992...I wos there...danced all 3 times....first time on dexys...doh!!x

Irish Greg all kindsa stuff I never heard anywhere else and still ain;t!!! Marvellous!!x

Ady Croasdell Baby Don't Change Your mind....Gladys Knight....super!!x

Personally I was known Nationally for spinning...

Carla Thomas....Never Stop thanx to Ady...X

Reconsider thanx to 'Anonymous'!!x

Coming Home Baby Mel Torme

Hopes & Dreams...YOPS

I'm So Happy Phillip Mitchell

Help Me Spellbinders

Fats Domino If U Don't Know What Love Is

The Hyperions Why You Wanna Treat Me

Jimmy Robbins I can't Please You

Brianstorm Loving is Really My Game

Willie Small How High Can You Fly

King Coleman Down In The Basement

Dynamics I need Your Love

Have Love Will Travel Richard Berry

Some others have been mentioned above...but from memory I got away with the above as nobody else was spinning them on the Nighter circuit when I was!!x Bob Hinsley was spinning Gerri Hall Nationwide I recall too!x There were some 'breakthrough' tunes........oops...and can't forget Dance Dance Dance at the 100 Club Xmas Party.....it rocked....like they all did when done right!!x Lots of DJ's where doing right back then.....happy days!x

@@
~

LUV
SOOTY
X

...and this I remember spinning...and it took a while to get 'respect' I recall...but did eventually....100 club went for it...then Blackburn.....just needed to fill in the towns in between....sorted!!!x

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Two big ones from the RCA label, that made a big impact...

Gale Garnett - I'll Cry Alone, and Della Reese - Clock that's got no hands..

need to add Les McCann - Sad Little Girl  to that little list..not RCA of course..and from about 98/99 The Inspirations  - Gotta Find a New love, both versions via Ady and butch...

Mal;-))

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

p.s....'scary corner'?? It was where all the anoraks and saddo's gathered and huddled when we piled in....TO PAAAARTYYYYYY!!!!x....din't come near me just whispered at the back and I heard nowt. Patto wos there to witness it I read....hehe!!!x

I have remembered another 3 that perhaps are 'obvious' now but weren't back then!!! I was very fortunate to have some 'hard core' around me who knew the craic from the 70's to the early 90's. I was told by these folk that Hopes N Dreams had been spun mainly the instrumental back in the day but no real National exposure. Same with Joy Lovejoy...In Orbit.....IT WAS MASSVE for me Nationwide and it was a year or so before others started spinning it at the then National venues. Standard today! Another 'newbie' Seven Day Fool Etta James......GUARANTEEED floor packer yet many round the Country had never heard it before the 90's!! Man O Man Walter & The admirations I remember having to kick off with it at Bretby as folk had waited all night for me to spin it......I weren't on till 7am last hour.........heeeeeavy night for all I recall...hehe!!!x

But this was perhaps me fav revival tune I played that hadn't been 'aired' for some years...if at all as it deserved...and took it Nationwide!x

SUPER tune to start a Monday morning....or a spot around the Nation........proper!!!!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I only remember what I did Chalky!!!x I also remember what was around me. I am ignorant of the past but was guided well. I won;t name them because they are some of your heroes I believe too...and don;t deserve your reference i'd say!x The Hopes n Dreams.....I was everywhere Chalky.....it weren't being spun at Nighters where I frequented.....early 90's. I was given a copy to spin by a friend who was 'active' to know at the time.....since the 70's. It did as I described and know...or heard...nowt else!x It may have had local exposure....but National???/ I never danced to it until I spun it at me soul night a year into the scene and after say 30 nighters under me belt for the year??? As for Walter.....it was Shifty's I believe...or Fingers.....or u know wot....I can't remember and weren't bothered!!!!x As I was 'representing' the then 'new wave' on the National scene....then Shifty....I think even Lenny and certainly Kev Fev in Norwich.....many folk who had awesome collections insisted on giving me tunes too play!!!! Emporer of My Baby's Heart Kev Fev made me spin it at the 100 Club.....never heard it poo'd meself......!!!!x They lent me tunes. Shifty didn't get National until I persuaded Mick/Little Scotty to put him on....and he was away and rightly so. He lent me Your My Mellow too....cos I wanted to spin the B side My Kind of Woman....and did....he wouldn't sell me it....!! Never heard that on the National stage over 9 years.....unless I spun it!!!x That's all I remember. Ain't givin it sum or owt and not meaning to Chalky....just being as honest as I recall.

There is this factor too. Records in East Anglia I found massive........went flat up tNorf!!! Same t'other way round!!! Some tunes got huge in an area because he local DJ had them!! I remember going to Lennys Wellingboro'. Him...Ciro...Dave Vanner.......they were spinning tunes that I didn't hear at Nighters for another year.......if it was being spun.....i;'d have known!!!!! Folks first thing they did as they saw me was chew me lugholes off telling me wot happened here there and everywhere!!!!!! I called it intelligence gathering and quite often picked their brains up off the floor as they parted which they thanked me for....hehe!!!x So....from my memory.....the tunes I mention weren't 'prolific' NATIONALLY on the nighter scene......that I heard. Some may have had their day in the 80's/90s....and I ain;t being disrespectful to them either. I just 'had it away' with these. If they'd have been 'finished'......the dance floor would have told......I was entertaining the hard core......they din't have any ole sh*t....and I never gave it mate.....X

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

Social source share

....ooops. I told a porkie by accident. When Shifty got his first spot at The Ritz.....he spun My Kind of Woman and dedicated it to me. I danced my ar*e off. It was the only chance I got to do such from the floor...in 9 years. It was our 'moment' of Togetherness. Happy days....X

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I only remember what I did Chalky!!!x I also remember what was around me. I am ignorant of the past but was guided well. I won;t name them because they are some of your heroes I believe too...and don;t deserve your reference i'd say!x The Hopes n Dreams.....I was everywhere Chalky.....it weren't being spun at Nighters where I frequented.....early 90's. I was given a copy to spin by a friend who was 'active' to know at the time.....since the 70's. It did as I described and know...or heard...nowt else!x It may have had local exposure....but National???/ I never danced to it until I spun it at me soul night a year into the scene and after say 30 nighters under me belt for the year??? As for Walter.....it was Shifty's I believe...or Fingers.....or u know wot....I can't remember and weren't bothered!!!!x As I was 'representing' the then 'new wave' on the National scene....then Shifty....I think even Lenny and certainly Kev Fev in Norwich.....many folk who had awesome collections insisted on giving me tunes too play!!!! Emporer of My Baby's Heart Kev Fev made me spin it at the 100 Club.....never heard it poo'd meself......!!!!x They lent me tunes. Shifty didn't get National until I persuaded Mick/Little Scotty to put him on....and he was away and rightly so. He lent me Your My Mellow too....cos I wanted to spin the B side My Kind of Woman....and did....he wouldn't sell me it....!! Never heard that on the National stage over 9 years.....unless I spun it!!!x That's all I remember. Ain't givin it sum or owt and not meaning to Chalky....just being as honest as I recall.

There is this factor too. Records in East Anglia I found massive........went flat up tNorf!!! Same t'other way round!!! Some tunes got huge in an area because he local DJ had them!! I remember going to Lennys Wellingboro'. Him...Ciro...Dave Vanner.......they were spinning tunes that I didn't hear at Nighters for another year.......if it was being spun.....i;'d have known!!!!! Folks first thing they did as they saw me was chew me lugholes off telling me wot happened here there and everywhere!!!!!! I called it intelligence gathering and quite often picked their brains up off the floor as they parted which they thanked me for....hehe!!!x So....from my memory.....the tunes I mention weren't 'prolific' NATIONALLY on the nighter scene......that I heard. Some may have had their day in the 80's/90s....and I ain;t being disrespectful to them either. I just 'had it away' with these. If they'd have been 'finished'......the dance floor would have told......I was entertaining the hard core......they din't have any ole sh*t....and I never gave it mate.....X

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

You would have heard me playing Jimmy Fraser vocal and Kurt Harris at the 100 Club before you'd started DJing Sooty

• Helpful 2
Social source share

You would have heard me playing Jimmy Fraser vocal and Kurt Harris at the 100 Club before you'd started DJing Sooty

Bugger, I was gonna ask him if he played the Kurt Harris first :lol:  I had one of the first few to turn up after you made it a monster down the 100 Club.  Played at Stafford also by I think Keith?

By the early 90's whenever I heard Jimmy Fraser I was beginning to think, "not again" but I must have been imagining hearing it as it wasn't played anywhere only the instrumental? 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Looks like a Volume 2 is called for,will have to dig through the dark corners of the collection see what's hiding away  :thumbup: 

Thanks for all the comments.

Cheers

Martyn

Look forward to that Martyn.I hope people take it all in the spirit of the 90 vein.Sure some were played before at stafford or even earlier venues but there were lots of great records that i will always associate with the 90s.Also certain DJs were in there pomp at this time Sooty being one of them.Kenny Burrels golden time also,and one of my faves Bob Hindsley.As For the scary corner people well lots of hard core characters girls as well as blokes were still around from the 80s.Some you loved being around and some you avoided but they often gave the night that edge that made the atmosphere electric at places like keele.
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Looks like a Volume 2 is called for,will have to dig through the dark corners of the collection see what's hiding away  :thumbup: 

Thanks for all the comments.

Cheers

Martyn

Look forward to it mate, will give this one a listen tomorrow hopefully now I have extra data on the phone.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Interesting that I first remember hearing Nolan Porter back then and thinking 'Wow - what a track' , yet now I think 'Oh no - not again!'. 

Not the tracks fault of course. :(

Still a class track for me but has been hammered,saying that personally not heard it out for ages.

Tom Paddison(JC) who djed at Cleethorpes 70t's nighters said he used to play it off the LP back then?

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

There!! We is all right!!x I don't know what went before and weren't there!!x You all do and I have always bowed to your time served...all of you!!x What may have made up for the lack of negatiove to me sets such as same old same old was me innocence and personality then....cos no-one complained!!!x Not to me face anyway!x Nolan Porter I spun nationwide and hadn't heard it....! But somebody somewhere has played them all.....I know that! Martin was talking of 'tunes of the 90's'. My list is among them and every tune i;ve seen listed is too. I remember them all! Who played what where and first???.....clueless!! But......when ure busy and involved....u knew what was 'in' and what was on the way out or had enuff of! I never had that feedback and wouldn't have done it to myself with a tune.......there's enuff tunes out there init!x We see the world from our own eyes....i'm no different. My ears are plugged in.....as is my soul........me brains I was glad to leave behind most nights tbf!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

Bugger, I was gonna ask him if he played the Kurt Harris first :lol:  I had one of the first few to turn up after you made it a monster down the 100 Club.  Played at Stafford also by I think Keith?

By the early 90's whenever I heard Jimmy Fraser I was beginning to think, "not again" but I must have been imagining hearing it as it wasn't played anywhere only the instrumental? 

kurt harris always reminds of the tracky club in barnsley around 87/8/9 ...strange tho 45`s like nolan porter if i could only be sure..i never heard out til saus dropped it one night at the wilton about 96.. nearly fell off my chair.. but i had it on the shelf for 10 yrs before then..never really thought of it as northern soul

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Ya gotta be joking man. "In orbit" was popular enough that by 1972 that it was included on a UK Chess compilation album at the time. this has  always been a popular cheap oldie since when God was a boy. 

the uk 45 came out in mid 72  also steve..so every little boy and his dog who dj`d could and probably did play it

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Interesting that I first remember hearing Nolan Porter back then and thinking 'Wow - what a track' , yet now I think 'Oh no - not again!'. 

Its been known ever since the LP came out,   73/74 ?.

Social source share

There!! We is all right!!x I don't know what went before and weren't there!!x You all do and I have always bowed to your time served...all of you!!x What may have made up for the lack of negatiove to me sets such as same old same old was me innocence and personality then....cos no-one complained!!!x Not to me face anyway!x Nolan Porter I spun nationwide and hadn't heard it....! But somebody somewhere has played them all.....I know that! Martin was talking of 'tunes of the 90's'. My list is among them and every tune i;ve seen listed is too. I remember them all! Who played what where and first???.....clueless!! But......when ure busy and involved....u knew what was 'in' and what was on the way out or had enuff of! I never had that feedback and wouldn't have done it to myself with a tune.......there's enuff tunes out there init!x We see the world from our own eyes....i'm no different. My ears are plugged in.....as is my soul........me brains I was glad to leave behind most nights tbf!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

What the **** you on about man???????

Are you on drugs?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I am a old git, l remember buying Nolan Porter as a new UK release from Marshall's Records. 

Social source share

kurt harris always reminds of the tracky club in barnsley around 87/8/9 ...strange tho 45`s like nolan porter if i could only be sure..i never heard out til saus dropped it one night at the wilton about 96.. nearly fell off my chair.. but i had it on the shelf for 10 yrs before then..never really thought of it as northern soul

That'd be me at Tracky with Kurt Harris,

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Its been known ever since the LP came out,   73/74 ?.

Kegsy

See my reply in post 20.

Another one off the original list that was played at the Torch 72/73 was Marjorie Black One More Hurt.

Did say in my first post that they were sounds getting played at that time not when they were first played as I knew quite a few of them were broke pre-90t's,Marjorie Black been one of them.

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

ruby winters had been round long before the 90's  the other side was a big wheel spin if I remember right  and  I first spun BETTER  covered up as Yvonne Baker  in late 85 at notts rock city 

Think you need to read all the posts?As I said in post one the Podcast was of tunes that were getting played at nighters in the 90t's not tunes "broke" in the 90t's?

Cheers 

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Soulfulhammer

"In Orbit" ??? Why did this record ever ever ever become part of the great Northern Soul scene? It is not soul it is POP

Very true, it could even be quoted in the songs that bring me to tears, though not for good reasons, then again it would not be the only big NS tune  could quote in this category!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!