Frank Popp - Hip Teens- Whats The Story?

Quinvy

• Replies 41
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just been listening to that Frank Popp - Hip Teens 45, and think that backing track is awesome. :lol: The intro is Edward Hamilton's I'm gonna love you, but then it changes, anybody know where the rest of it comes from ?

Sorry Quinvy, but (imho) a terrible manufactured tune from LULU, an insult to use the intro to an absolute classic like that laugh.gif

Social source share

Just been listening to that Frank Popp - Hip Teens 45, and think that backing track is awesome. laugh.gif The intro is Edward Hamilton's I'm gonna love you, but then it changes, anybody know where the rest of it comes from ?

i need help the detroit landapples

therres a copy of hip teens in manships auction :lol: funny old world laugh.gif

Social source share

Just been listening to that Frank Popp - Hip Teens 45, and think that backing track is awesome. :lol: The intro is Edward Hamilton's I'm gonna love you, but then it changes, anybody know where the rest of it comes from ?

Have you seen this?

Social source share

Got to agree with Gabriel here.

In this video, why is mr. Popp DJ-ing there? what does this contribute to the song?

Did you see the crowd, not very enthusiastic.

Cheers, Martin

PS: But the girl is pretty good looking.

Edited by soulie78
Social source share

Have you seen this?

BIZARRE!! Where they from? and how the hell do they produce that big Detroit sound with a couple of guitars and a trombone? Or is it all coming from the Technics 1200 that the guy at the back is playing about with? And if it is whats on the turntable?

Social source share

BIZARRE!! Where they from? and how the hell do they produce that big Detroit sound with a couple of guitars and a trombone? Or is it all coming from the Technics 1200 that the guy at the back is playing about with? And if it is whats on the turntable?

They are from Germany. Hannover I think, but I'm not sure.

This song got popular because it was played in german tv. About how they produce their sound - I don't know, could have told you, if I would have gone to the concert here in Bamberg but missed it.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Sorry Quinvy, but (imho) a terrible manufactured tune from LULU, an insult to use the intro to an absolute classic like that :lol:

LULU? where you getting lulu from ? the vocals are by sam leigh-brown who co-wrote it , as are the vocals on You've Been Gone To Long .

got it on the original album ( the one with the chopper on it not the scooter fronted one that contained breakaway )so never felt the need to buy the single and can't believe the money it will go for considering it wasn't THAT long ago you could've went to the blow-up website and bought it for £4

and anyway stripper girl with sam paglia was restricted to 500 copies so that (i think) makes it rarer lol

Social source share

It's a thundering tune that I heard Vinnie McGuire of Freak street play at the old Sunday Soul sessions at Nice'n'Sleazy. It was a number 1 in Germany.Thanks for the clip but I do believe they're miming.

My son asked me to DJ a night at the Student union with him and his pals. They got 200 in which was pretty good and one of the records that got them moving was Hip Teens. It's a good pop record.

A couple of the other DJ's asked about it and they tracked copies down.

The album's pretty good too with a good version of You've been gone too long and Coming Home Baby.

It may or may not be Northern Soul but it's very danceable.

Social source share

Great tune :wicked: . My 13 year old daughter and 10 year old son think that this is great. They really want to go and see them in the Isle of Wight. But they did add that after seeing the clip that they were definetly miming :lol: . And yes they are from Germany.

Ciara

Southside Soul Club 16th September - O'Dowd's Function Room, Plumstead High Street, Plumstead SE18. Guest DJs - Warren Boog-a-loo & Paul McKay (Soul In The City). £4 OTD 8:00pm-1:00am (Bar Till 1:00am) Details www.southsidesoulclub.co.uk

Social source share

It's a thundering tune that I heard Vinnie McGuire of Freak street play at the old Sunday Soul sessions at Nice'n'Sleazy. It was a number 1 in Germany.Thanks for the clip but I do believe they're miming.

My son asked me to DJ a night at the Student union with him and his pals. They got 200 in which was pretty good and one of the records that got them moving was Hip Teens. It's a good pop record.

A couple of the other DJ's asked about it and they tracked copies down.

The album's pretty good too with a good version of You've been gone too long and Coming Home Baby.

It may or may not be Northern Soul but it's very danceable.

I'm bloody sure they're miming, that big sound can't be coming from those few instruments. It's deffo not the Detroit Land Apples, though it is similar...

And the girl is STUNNING! :wicked:

Social source share

LULU? where you getting lulu from ? the vocals are by sam leigh-brown who co-wrote it , as are the vocals on You've Been Gone To Long .

got it on the original album ( the one with the chopper on it not the scooter fronted one that contained breakaway )so never felt the need to buy the single and can't believe the money it will go for considering it wasn't THAT long ago you could've went to the blow-up website and bought it for £4

and anyway stripper girl with sam paglia was restricted to 500 copies so that (i think) makes it rarer lol

Just my dodgy ears again Davie :D , remember i reckoned "John Bowie" sounds like "David Bowie" (still do ! :D )

Actually thinking about it, it wasn't me who said it first in this instance, my mate played it to me & said "have you heard this crap that they are raving about, it's f***ing LULU i reckon singing to a backing track" . Which may be why the bloke in the video is playing a record, it's probably "Hip Teens" by LULU but she was too ashamed to release it !! :D

Social source share

It's the James Last Orchestra for the 21st century. :D

:D

No, don't mention "James Last" , My parents had loads of his records, god they were nausiating !

Argh ! you have brought back terrible memories :D

Social source share

:D

No, don't mention "James Last" , My parents had loads of his records, god they were nausiating !

Argh ! you have brought back terrible memories :D

Hey

I'm playing Voodoo Party James last plays The Temptations, Santana and Sly Stone.

it's hansimania

Modern Soul fans should have best Kept secret in their collection

Social source share

Hey

I'm playing Voodoo Party James last plays The Temptations, Santana and Sly Stone.

it's hansimania

Modern Soul fans should have best Kept secret in their collection

Felonious, that has just about put the final nail in the coffin for us "Oldie" loving "Modern" haters :D:D

Social source share

In fact my mate Frank is from D¼sseldorf and has been into Soul muisc for a very long time. He started with his "unique club" -nights years ago. The female singer is in fact from Manchester, so you see a England/Germany Co-production :D I personally think he is doing a very fine job and what he does for sure is bringing new people (mostly aged under their thirties) into Soul, which can`t be that bad can it ? Marc

Social source share

In fact my mate Frank is from D¼sseldorf and has been into Soul muisc for a very long time. He started with his "unique club" -nights years ago. The female singer is in fact from Manchester, so you see a England/Germany Co-production :D I personally think he is doing a very fine job and what he does for sure is bringing new people (mostly aged under their thirties) into Soul, which can`t be that bad can it ? Marc

would have thought hip teens could be called an oldie now anyway :D

as for rest Marc yep a big :) from me

if compare any of similar recent northern influenced stuff like Frank Popp etc to the majority of those efforts that those 'involved' with northern have dished out in the past then there's no argument imo

Social source share

Brilliant stuff imo, luv it!

The vocal does sound like Lulu, that was my first impression but that's not a bad thing in my book, it's a good soul/pop dancer with energy.

Simon :)

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

bag of cheap :lol: and nasty :angry: contrived and manufactured shite (IMHO) whistling.gif

:thumbsup: bri.

Aren't all records contrived and manufactured??????? :lol:
Social source share

bag of cheap :lol: and nasty :angry: contrived and manufactured shite (IMHO) whistling.gif

:lol: bri.

Don't really understand this position.

As others have said it's a good 'poppy' dancer with a 60's type sound. In this age does it matter how they created the sound as long as they got somewhere close!

Again I agree with an earlier post about it being a good thing if a commercial effort like this makes a few youngsters look further into the music/scene.

Jeeeeeees, In view of the posts recently about attendances at soul do's etc don't knock something that may contribute even a little to getting the youngsters hooked on the music we love.

Just my opinion of course. :thumbsup:

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

In fact my mate Frank is from D¼sseldorf and has been into Soul muisc for a very long time. He started with his "unique club" -nights years ago. The female singer is in fact from Manchester, so you see a England/Germany Co-production :( I personally think he is doing a very fine job and what he does for sure is bringing new people (mostly aged under their thirties) into Soul, which can`t be that bad can it ? Marc
Brilliant stuff imo, luv it!

The vocal does sound like Lulu, that was my first impression but that's not a bad thing in my book, it's a good soul/pop dancer with energy.

Simon :yes:

Yep I'm with you guy's. Top tune not very soulful, but get's em up dancing when it gets played :D .

Social source share

At exactly 53 seconds into the track (on the video), the first sample of the Detroit Land Apples comes in. You must surely be able to hear it.

Yep, hadn't noticed it before definately Detroit Land Apples.

Not that I ever doubted you Pete! :rolleyes:

Paul

Social source share

Yep, hadn't noticed it before definately Detroit Land Apples.

Not that I ever doubted you Pete! :rolleyes:

Paul

Frank Popp ...... James Last ...... What next - Paul Mauriat ? blush.gif

Malc Burton

Social source share

In fact my mate Frank is from D¼sseldorf and has been into Soul muisc for a very long time. He started with his "unique club" -nights years ago. The female singer is in fact from Manchester, so you see a England/Germany Co-production blush.gif I personally think he is doing a very fine job and what he does for sure is bringing new people (mostly aged under their thirties) into Soul, which can`t be that bad can it ? Marc

Hi Marc!

You may be right that younger people are attracted to Northern Soul by this song. It's still not very soulful imho. A sixties style pop record imo.

The only problem I see, is that they exspect you to play that kinda stuff, because this must be Northern Soul and Northern Soul has to be the Frank Popp Ensemble way. You know, I'm living in a students town...

Best, Martin

PS: Still under my thirties and also found out about soulful music and glad that there is still very much to find out about it. :rolleyes:

Social source share

It's still miles better than this so called R & B and dance shite that's been in the charts for the last decade or more

Pete,

Ditto to that. Have heard enough of this R & B / RAP crap indoors to last me a bloody lifetime. Have tried to educate the kids in what music should sound like, they've grown up with it, so as TESCO says - EVERY LITTLE HELPS smile.gif:rolleyes:

Ciara

Southside Soul Club 16th September - O'Dowd's Function Room, Plumstead High Street, Plumstead SE18. Guest DJs - Warren Boog-a-loo & Paul McKay (Soul In The City). £4 OTD 8:00pm-1:00am (Bar Till 1:00am) Details www.southsidesoulclub.co.uk

Social source share

Guest smigger

Is right.

Off course the whole thing is playback and was shot at some godawful music award thingy years ago. The singer in that clip is not the original singer but some model that stood in for Sam as she could not be at the show.

Frank also DJs here and there and may I say does a good job imho from what I have experienced around the D¼sseldorf area. He plays top tunes and non of them are in anyway as commercial as Hip Teens.

Basically, he/the band got a load of people interessted in soul (yes, I agree its a pop tune) and Frank then plays them the good stuff when they go to hear him DJ.

Can't be bad in my view. But that's just my tuppence worth.

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Have you seen this?

This one gets folk off their arses too....luv it...or hate it....I love it :D

Edited by NASHEE
Social source share

I've always thought there was a bit of Little Richard in there too but never fully cheked it out. Theres a very familiar spoken/shout bit 'Hey everybody' on the 45 that I can't put my finger on. Its not the same in the video clip and is sung over.

I was never crazy about the vocal but as a production, an idea and an execution the whole thing is f**cking brilliant.

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

Guest Kevin J

ill be DJing with Mr. Popp in Honolulu in October. personally, dont care much for what he does, but that being said, i dont care for much anything retro ... no offense to him, of course.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!