Oxford Nights

John Parker

Yes...mine as I said I had early doors and is music city stamped and matt label

Pretty sure the ones that turned up were "second presses"...not sure when they were done but would have had a knock on effect on the original press value

Be interested to know what peeps know of the timing of these presses....not sure whether they were pressed up as there was a demand at the time...what was it 5/6 years ago

Edited by john parker
Social source share

A band member (drummer) still had the pressing plates and realising there was a demand and prices were high he got more pressed up and then they was getting sold through eBay by lil peddler and maybe another dealer on there.  Approx 2006 ish.   The presses had a gloomy label compared to a more Matt finish. There was a difference in the run out matrix from the original ones so in theory not a boot but a 2nd press just 30 years or so on.   

Prices dont seem to be too different but when I got mine I made sure it was the first press with Matt label.  

How many were pressed ? No idea, are these stories true ? Probably.  

There is a thread on here I started a few years back I will try find it. 

Social source share

A band member (drummer) still had the pressing plates and realising there was a demand and prices were high he got more pressed up and then they was getting sold through eBay by lil peddler and maybe another dealer on there.  Approx 2006 ish.   The presses had a gloomy label compared to a more Matt finish. There was a difference in the run out matrix from the original ones so in theory not a boot but a 2nd press just 30 years or so on.   

Prices dont seem to be too different but when I got mine I made sure it was the first press with Matt label.  

How many were pressed ? No idea, are these stories true ? Probably.  

There is a thread on here I started a few years back I will try find it.

What's a gloomy label Bearsy?

Social source share

Oddly enough, this record doesn't feature on Popsike suggesting it hasn't been on eBay. Lew Stanley had a quantity of Oxford Knights #2 press and other bits on Delphi. The first press seems to be particularly scarce and the second met demand when it was doing the rounds 12-15 years ago. Lew certainly sold a good few. The second press records lack the Music City stamp but surely that would have appeared if the old plates allegedly held by the drummers were used? No one seems particularly bothered to be in possession of a second press suggesting that the actual sound is of greater importance than provenance. The second edition records look too mint and unplayed to be true but they resemble proper 60's vinyl rather than contemporary pressings. Can anyone shed further light on the mystery? Is it just possible that the record was pressed at two plants back in the day and stock from one was stashed away until it was discovered?

Social source share

The will always be spurious claims of legitimacy about the second press, often by those selling or owning a copy.  It was Lil Peddler, Julian Fowler who had all or a lot of the 2nd press. His wife sister was married to the drummer or something like that.  I think all the claims were made to simply sell the copies.  After all they were unlikely to say they were a recent press and effectively worth a tenner or so and not what they were actually selling them for.  I personally think they are recent and were made to make a fast buck after seeing the cost of the original.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The will always be spurious claims of legitimacy about the second press, often by those selling or owning a copy.  It was Lil Peddler, Julian Fowler who had all or a lot of the 2nd press. His wife sister was married to the drummer or something like that.  I think all the claims were made to simply sell the copies.  After all they were unlikely to say they were a recent press and effectively worth a tenner or so and not what they were actually selling them for.  I personally think they are recent and were made to make a fast buck after seeing the cost of the original.

Wotcha Chalkie, I'm inclined to agree with your last comment which effectively involves us owners of the number two press embracing it and assigning a high value even though it could be one of those dreadful b------ things.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I will confirm this it was Julian=Lil peddler I purchased 6 Embers and one oxford night back in 2004 I still have the paper work emails when I dealt with him , traded 3 embers to JM sold another 2 privately kept one embers and just kept one oxford nights he only allowed me to buy one oxford nights, but he did have 10 crazy bout u baby, he said he was involved with the band then and managing them in the 2000's still touring doing the beach music scene this is all off top of my head got notes at me lockup if remember will update.

Social source share

Oddly enough, this record doesn't feature on Popsike suggesting it hasn't been on eBay. Lew Stanley had a quantity of Oxford Knights #2 press and other bits on Delphi. The first press seems to be particularly scarce and the second met demand when it was doing the rounds 12-15 years ago. Lew certainly sold a good few. The second press records lack the Music City stamp but surely that would have appeared if the old plates allegedly held by the drummers were used? No one seems particularly bothered to be in possession of a second press suggesting that the actual sound is of greater importance than provenance. The second edition records look too mint and unplayed to be true but they resemble proper 60's vinyl rather than contemporary pressings. Can anyone shed further light on the mystery? Is it just possible that the record was pressed at two plants back in the day and stock from one was stashed away until it was discovered?

There's loads on popske. It's just that on this thread their name has changed from Oxford Nights into Oxford Knights.

Edited by John A
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

I had the first copy that circulated in the UK and knew something was fishy when I saw the later copies appear. Considering it is such an out and out northern sound and came out on a known label it would have turned up years before if the legit press had not been a very rare tune. I remember quietly enquiring with JM, Butch and other US and UK authorities and no one knew anything about it. There was quite a lot of dodgy stuff emanating from the States around that period.

Thanks for introducing us to the song in that basement on Jermyn Street. Got my copy from Lou S early on in the frenzy. Would like to learn more of the dodgy records that came from the USA at that time.

Social source share

I understand this was played c/up in the beginning. Does anyone know when it was uncovered?

On a trip to London in about 91/92 I attended a soul night in Camden. One of the DJ's played a record that sounded so great, I went to the DJ to ask what it was. He just laughed and pointed at a paper covered label. Only years later I realized it probably was the Oxford Knights. DJ in question might have been Ion??

Social source share

IN THE EARLY 90s I bourght a lot of records off Adey Pierce

I used to have his yellow sales tapes

oxford nights was on one of the tapes for about £40 if I remember rightly

phoned up as sòon as I heard it but it had gone

wonder if this is where Ion got it

I found one a few years later

and still play it out at times

Social source share

Bang!! on the money there chalky. I got a copy off Julian but thankfully I took a copy that had a small mark on it at half the price he was asking at the time for a minter but at least it was a stamped original and was as near as damn it mint when it arrived. Went back for another but his prices had gone through the roof by then. Doh!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes ion remember well, coming down to London in your flat above the building society with James oconnor  getting ready for the 100 club , you playing me this record for the first time and your Steve Mancha cover  up still laugh yet with jock, min sue seen us she was off to Sylvia's as she knew dam well that was the start off a very messy weekend lol 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!