Steve S 60

Trainline

I don't travel by rail if I can avoid it, but I've just had to get a return ticket to Manchester for my youngest lad.  For a £30 off peak ticket I've been stung with a £1.50 booking fee.  What's that all about?  I've had to book it, a computer does all the rest.  I even have to collect it from a machine at my local station.  On top of that they wanted an extra 63p if I used my credit card.  Money for nothing or what, and that's before you even contemplate booking a seat.  Seems like the only thing up to date about our rail network is the charges.

It's because you used Trainline. If you had used the website of the train company selling the ticket ie Virgin Trains or London Midland etc. you wouldn't have been charged a booking fee.

It's because you used Trainline. If you had used the website of the train company selling the ticket ie Virgin Trains or London Midland etc. you wouldn't have been charged a booking fee.

Cheers, my lad told me which website to use.  It's alright, he'll be paying me back.  When he gets himself a job he can get his car insured and MOT'd and then he won't have to bother about trains.

I usually use thetrainline.com because invariably I have to use several different companies trains, though by booking several journeys at once you only pay one booking fee, and with a debit card you don't pay the credit card fee either, though that should really go without saying, but as I'm in full flow you'll allow me to be prosaic, I hope. Anyhow, I tried booking from Peterborough to Stoke for Lifeline later this month and the cheapest ticket was £56 return, I then tried single to Stoke and a single from Stoke to London on the Sunday as I'd be flying back to Spain after it, and that was a little cheaper, though still nearly £50, however, a single from Peterborough to London cost me £11.25, and a return from London to Stoke just £20, thus saving me the price of admission to Lifeline, and enough for a couple of Guinness too. So, it's not all bad, you just need to know how to work the system.

I think it's pot luck Dave, more a random number generator than any kind of system.  My lad could have got his outward single for £8, but his return single was going to be £27, so the 30 day open return worked out cheaper. 

I use cross country trains often no booking fees or anything Nottingham/London £10 each way think it my have go up a bit now though still a bargain if you book in advance.

I usually use thetrainline.com because invariably I have to use several different companies trains,

That doesn't make any difference -- you can buy tickets for any train company via any other train company.  If I travel from here to London for example, I take an Arriva train to Swansea, and then FGW to London -- and I can buy both tickets from either company...  There is really NO reason to EVER use Trainline and pay their fees...

That doesn't make any difference -- you can buy tickets for any train company via any other train company.  If I travel from here to London for example, I take an Arriva train to Swansea, and then FGW to London -- and I can buy both tickets from either company...  There is really NO reason to EVER use Trainline and pay their fees...

Edited by TattooDave

That's me told then Jess, living in Spain has addled what was left of my functioning brain

Well, they don't exactly make it clear that you can, but when you spend as much on train tickets as I do, you learn the tricks!  :)

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.