The Velvets

Guest nickic

yep ive seen that one .. had mine a couple of years, just wanted to make sure mine isn't a boot! there is nothing about it in JMs guide!

just wondered if anyone knew how to spot it>

?

Social source share

There is (or was) a bloke selling them on Ebay with a scanned original issue label that was glued onto one of those repress ones you can buy for £5.00 off Ebay.

yep ive seen those .. just makes you wonder

Social source share

You can't tell from a picture but you'll know if you hold one - details in the run off are all wrong.  Also most original issues are styrene.

going to check when I get home! so if its styrene, it should be ok!?

Social source share

I have a copy which should be original but it's so similar to the boot... i can't wait to go back home and check the details in the run off...

Social source share

Sorry for the silly question, but how can you can be sure one is vinyl and the other styrene?

Vinyl will be fairly flexible with a moulded label, you can not pick the edge of the label with your nail.

Styrene isn't flexible, it will break if you try to bend it, very brittle.  The label is stuck on and you can pick the edge with your nail.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry for the silly question, but how can you can be sure one is vinyl and the other styrene?

Bend it. If it snaps, it's styrene. If it doesn't snap, it's vinyl. Simples...

Alternatively, hold the record with thumb and index finger by the centre hole and rim, lightly flick the record with a finger nail and listen to the sound. Styrene sounds tinny, vinyl sounds dull. Play the record - if it starts with a short hiss, chances are it's styrene. Styrene is easily discoloured by solvent so be careful when cleaning records with lighter fluid in case you accidentally discover it's not vinyl. Err, that's all I can think of...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

attachicon.gif20150210_163543-1VELVETS.jpgsomeone take a look for me and give me the bad news!

This one looks like a boot,  as its black ink has weaknesses that appear on photocopies.  I, myself, bought legitimate copies of both the white DJ and the store stocker back when that record was out, and have seen the store stocker on both vinyl and styrene, but the white DJ was only on vinyl, as far as I know.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bend it. If it snaps, it's styrene. If it doesn't snap, it's vinyl. Simples...

Alternatively, hold the record with thumb and index finger by the centre hole and rim, lightly flick the record with a finger nail and listen to the sound. Styrene sounds tinny, vinyl sounds dull. Play the record - if it starts with a short hiss, chances are it's styrene. Styrene is easily discoloured by solvent so be careful when cleaning records with lighter fluid in case you accidentally discover it's not vinyl. Err, that's all I can think of...

So even if it's ano original it's dull? 

Mine should be a vynil white demo (no star as the boot). And it sounds great... bought it at the market prices from a reliable and well known seller so it sould be alright.

I'm away at the moment. I'll post a pic as soon as i can.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!