News: The Odyssey: A Northern Soul Time-Capsule - Box Set

Problem is Ian Lots of of those tracks are free downloads or are on other compilations. It looks good but that's about it to me. Price is a bit much as well! I was thinking more around the £49.99 mark and was a bit shocked when I saw it! Anyhow whoever buys it wont be spoiled for choice in the car on along journey!

Social source share

Problem is Ian Lots of of those tracks are free downloads or are on other compilations. It looks good but that's about it to me. Price is a bit much as well! I was thinking more around the £49.99 mark and was a bit shocked when I saw it! Anyhow whoever buys it wont be spoiled for choice in the car on along journey!

Well free downloads are illegal of course and no serious collector would dream of ripping of the copyright owners, writers and artists I presume? Every track on here has been legally licensed for decent royalties and advances.

For 8 x CDs, 230 properly mastered tracks, 2 DVDs of brand new content and a 160 page book I think the £49.99 Dealer Price is a bargain. When Amazon drop their price (as they inevitably will) their price will drop to something even better.

Also this is not particularly aimed at people who already have the stuff. The Northern Soul soundtrack shows that there is a huge audience out there who want to learn, so this is as good a start as any. 

Ian D  :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Ian, it's a super project but I don't think you should have listed me as assisting in the compiling. All I did was put you right on a couple of licensors. You and Timmy should get the glory.

So many people involved I thought I'd better list 'em all.  :thumbsup:

I should point out that Ady helped out with some of our last minute license kerfuffles!  :lol:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

The moment finally arrived! Praise be to the lord. A project which has been almost 3 years in gestation and which almost killed me due to the complexity and sheer scale of the beast, was finally delivered in it's finished form.

Little did I know when I was 15 years old in 1970 and purchasing my first record collection from a Huddersfield DJ called Jim (£25 for 400 records - a bargain), that 45 years later I'd be responsible for overseeing a project which originally stemmed from that suitcase full of records which I bought from Jim. The first record that I pulled out was a battered Stateside copy of Darrell Banks "Open The Door To Your Heart" and now it's also the first record of 230 within this collection 45 years later.  

Fate goes full circle ay? It truly has been a lifelong odyssey for me personally, so can you imagine how I felt when I finally got to open the b*stard?

So here's the unveiling folks...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Unveiling of 'The Odyssey: A Northern Soul Time-Capsule Part 2'.

Yep, we were watching it and someone said how come there's no music, so voila! Thanks Lidia!

Order order order! Going fast! Out this coming Monday!

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 1,553 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)

#12 in Music > R&B and Soul > Motown

#28 in Music > R&B and Soul > Soul

#37 in Music > Pop > Pop R&B

https://youtu.be/ibM4wVmHmUE

• Helpful 2
Social source share

well its 10am monday morning and its arrived via amazon.very impressive box,so thats my monday sorted,listening to this excellent collection and reading the very informative book.

well done ian,great job done .

dave o'neill

Killer Dave! I'm very happy with the way it came out! Happy listening.

Ian D :)

Social source share

Royal Mail called at 1230.  Very nice looking box set, top marks for presentation.  Look forward to listening to the tracks, watching the DVDs and reading the book.  Good to see all the track listings are already on iTunes.  Well done all at Harmless.

Social source share

Guest Russell H

The two discs I've listened to so far are incredible, not just in the sound quality but also in the running order. You could probably have a decent nighter just playing these discs through (though you'd upset the OVO crowd).

Social source share

The two discs I've listened to so far are incredible, not just in the sound quality but also in the running order. You could probably have a decent nighter just playing these discs through (though you'd upset the OVO crowd).

I spend a lot of time on sequencing. My colleagues can't understand it but I do treat each CD as a DJ set really which generally seems to work out OK.

Social source share

well that them all downloaded just in case i loose any and yes cd 4 is not listed on gracenote,so ive done it myself no problem.so ian,how are you going to top this then ? you have set your benchmark very high now mate !!! :g: first track,my all time favourite,what a start .luv it.

I'm not gonna be able to top it unfortunately. The days of the lavish box sets are numbered I believe, so I always look at each project as if it could be the last. Thus almost was lol. Almost killed me....

Social source share

Well free downloads are illegal of course and no serious collector would dream of ripping of the copyright owners, writers and artists I presume? Every track on here has been legally licensed for decent royalties and advances.

For 8 x CDs, 230 properly mastered tracks, 2 DVDs of brand new content and a 160 page book I think the £49.99 Dealer Price is a bargain. When Amazon drop their price (as they inevitably will) their price will drop to something even better.

Also this is not particularly aimed at people who already have the stuff. The Northern Soul soundtrack shows that there is a huge audience out there who want to learn, so this is as good a start as any. 

bit confused here,

is it £49.99 or £76.99 as showing on Amazon at the moment. can I buy it for the dealer price although I'm not a dealer?

regards H

Social source share

bit confused here,

is it £49.99 or £76.99 as showing on Amazon at the moment. can I buy it for the dealer price although I'm not a dealer?

regards H

Hi H,

The £49.99 is the Dealer Price, i.e. the price we charge the Dealers who stock it, so no, unfortunately you're stuck with whatever the Dealers charge, so the Amazon price is a good 'un...

Social source share

Quick Question (from prospective purchaser)

As I've got just about every book/ video about the northern Soul Scene, how much original material is in the book, DVDs?

I ask because I've noticed somewherethat some (all?) of the book is transposed from a previous book.

Also, how many of the tracks are new to CD?

Apologies if this info is already out there!

Social source share

The book consists of text from the In Crowd up to the closure of Wigan.  Post Wigan is what I wrote, about 6000 words from Clifton Hall up to today.  Obviously I haven't mentioned every venue as there have been 100's since 1981.  Nor have I mentioned soul nights except for a few that for me had an influence on the scene.  Again some will disagree and think such and such a venue should have been included but I simply didn't have the space nor the time as I was on a tight deadline.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

You know what Chalky? You could have a 500 page book on the scene and it wouldn't be enough. 

I've just spent the last hour FINALLY going through the finished article and it doesn't get any better in terms of a Northern Soul box set in my opinion. I'm obviously biased, but in terms of the wider market, this is the definitive release in my view. Thanks to all involved. The real deal.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You know what Chalky? You could have a 500 page book on the scene and it wouldn't be enough. 

I've just spent the last hour FINALLY going through the finished article and it doesn't get any better in terms of a Northern Soul box set in my opinion. I'm obviously biased, but in terms of the wider market, this is the definitive release in my view. Thanks to all involved. The real deal.

Trouble is there was and still is so many promoters and all probably believe they deserve a mention and in an ideal world do deserve a mention but as you say no book would be big enough.  I can remember plenty of all-nighters that were very good but there was only the one.  

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Just a progress report but also I just noticed that the Amazon price has dropped to £71.68 which probably explains it's boost up the rankings after 3 weeks out there!

Social source share

Eventually it arrived yesterday. Great package. starting playing through all CDs last night. I noticed some tracks are different mixes/takes. That's nice. But why is there at least one Ian Levine re-recording? Barbara Lewis - The stars with a synth backing? not good :no:

Social source share

Eventually it arrived yesterday. Great package. starting playing through all CDs last night. I noticed some tracks are different mixes/takes. That's nice. But why is there at least one Ian Levine re-recording? Barbara Lewis - The stars with a synth backing? not good :no:

Whaaaaat? We didn't license anything from Mr Levine. I'll need to check that master again but I'm pretty sure that was a kosher master from the copyright owners - Concord, the owners of Fantasy/Stax in this case. We went to insane lengths to get the correct masters on this and, up to now, everyone has complimented us on the quality of the mastering. This is just plain weird. I'll check it tomorrow. I have to say that a handful of the masters supplied by the owners were slightly different mixes to the known recordings and, in most cases, superior.

The weirdest master we received was the first track on the box set - Darrell Banks "Open The Door To Your Heart" which turned out to be a previously unknown instrumental version (which is spectacular in it's simplicity and impact). So there are bonuses too!

Will come back to the Barbara Lewis master tomorrow when I sober up OK?

Ian D   :D

Social source share

I just played it again to make sure my ears aren't deceiving. It's definitely a re-recording. Maybe not an IL one. But definitely 80s or later. Even her voice sounds much more mature than on the original Stax LP.

BTW, yes, mastering in general is great. So is the whole capsule.

Social source share

I just played it again to make sure my ears aren't deceiving. It's definitely a re-recording. Maybe not an IL one. But definitely 80s or later. Even her voice sounds much more mature than on the original Stax LP.

BTW, yes, mastering in general is great. So is the whole capsule.

How bizarre. That was the master supplied by Concord (owners of Stax). I haven't had time to check it yet but it'll be on full-blast tomorrow. Bit of a mystery though, Why on earth would it be a re-record? It was an album track and not even popular till 40 years after it was recorded. Still nothing like  a mystery ay? Glad you approve of the rest of it!  :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!