chalky

The Country Is F*****

We have Cameron telling bosses to give out pay rises while he robs every public sector worker.  

The NHS is fleeced, the police is getting another cut, the armed forces face cut after cut in its numbers.

We have Birmingham City Council halving the hours of its flagship state of the art library only recently opened.

Austerity shows no sign of abating.

The standard of living is at its worst in living memory.

YET we have Sky and BT paying £5bn for the rights to screen Premier League Football.  Over £10 million per game.  Over £110000 for every minute screened.  The bottom club receiving £99 million.  It is OBSCENE.

We have the fans paying the highest prices in Europe.  Most ordinary fans are priced out of the game.  Many families can't afford Sky let alone go and watch a game.

Someone will have to pay for all this as well, I wnder who?  It won't be me that is a fact.

You can go and watch a top European team for in some cases less than a league one team.

Grass roots is in crisis with the worst facilities anywhere in Europe.  We have far far less coaches than every other top league.  Yet we have the richest top flight league in the world and all they care about is themselves.  It is obscene and a disgrace!

Yes Chalky been saying for a long time country has done one people shoudnt think we are ok we have some real bad times ahead wait till it kicks off.

...err...I know it'll be no consolation Chalky....but i'm on it...and me Grandad wos called George.......'it's emotional'...as it were!!x We sing the same song mate...X

englandgeorge.jpg

LUV
SOOTY
X

it beggars belief how much Sky and BT have paid….I mean £10m a game, that's on average £70m for the highlights on MOTD each week, when there are 7 games on. No wonder Sky and BT are becoming so expensive.

Edited by Steve G

Heard a staggering statistic on the news today (it's that crazy, sounds impossible) it takes 27% of the total money spent in making TV programmes to make the sky / BT football but is only watched by 0.5% of all viewers.

Heard a staggering statistic on the news today (it's that crazy, sounds impossible) it takes 27% of the total money spent in making TV programmes to make the sky / BT football but is only watched by 0.5% of all viewers.

No that doesn't make sense…..premier league attended by 0.5% of the population each week would be 320,000 people, and would make more sense. Never believe anything you read in this world without sense checking it  - ha ha!

No that doesn't make sense…..premier league attended by 0.5% of the population each week would be 320,000 people, and would make more sense. Never believe anything you read in this world without sense checking it  - ha ha!

Especially on here. :lol:

That's not what he's saying Steve. I've read it to mean that it's taken 27% of the total TV budget for making all programmes, yet will be watched by only 0.5% of the viewers......

I think that's what he means....

Ian D  :D

That's not what he's saying Steve. I've read it to mean that it's taken 27% of the total TV budget for making all programmes, yet will be watched by only 0.5% of the viewers......

I think that's what he means....

Ian D  :D

Watched live yes. 10 premier league games a week, average attendance 30,000= 300,000 live spectators a week= 0.5% of the population. 

How many watch Sky, MOTD etc though, I have no idea…..nor do I know how much they make from re-selling the matches around the world. Presumably loads.

Tbh..I don't know why anyone pays Sky for football (or anything else for that matter). It's all free on line if you know where to look.

Given that, I can't see how it is sustainable as a business model unless. as I suspect, they make their money off pubs etc...If domestic subscription seems expensive, i understand they absolutely crucify licensees and have very aggressive 'account management'.

YET we have Sky and BT paying £5bn for the rights to screen Premier League Football.  Over £10 million per game.  Over £110000 for every minute screened.  The bottom club receiving £99 million.  It is OBSCENE.

We have the fans paying the highest prices in Europe.  Most ordinary fans are priced out of the game.  Many families can't afford Sky let alone go and watch a game.

Thing is people are prepared to pay high prices to see English football, don't know why, I mean they've done sod all in Europe :lol:

Great for the clubs but what will the clubs do with all the extra revenue buy more players and pay higher wages or reduce ticket prices to make football a game a working man can take his kids to like it was when I was a kid and my family group used to go to matches on a regular basis, I think the answer is fairly easy and it will not involve the fans . 

I also see Sky have  now got the British Open Golf Championships from 2017 the monopoly is nearly there what's left for them to hoover up the Snooker World Championship and Wimbledon come to mind and a few others then that's it.

agree the premeir league is obscene but its the daily reports of other obscene things happening that gets me..

the scandal of hsbc telling already rich people how to get richer without paying the tax they should be..and the millionaire minister in control then being made a lord by the government,with all the benefits that come with it despite them knowing what had gone on!

as chalky said cuts to important services and benefits while major companies making billions but paying hardly any tax..weve known about it for ages but still nothing seems to be done

im sure I heard nhs managers were getting a 21% pay rise?!..one recently made redundant from her 2m a year salary and employed again the next day so she can get her 150000 pension early in a lump sum...probably to invest and make more money with some inside knowledge from her government mates

how do they sleep at nite?  vintage wine and silk sheets no doubt!

dean

It may be great for clubs but they will spend it on higher wages, higher transfer fees for substandard foreigners and higher agents fees.  

Meanwhile fans will still be robbed at the turnstiles paying hundreds of pounds to take two kids along whilst you can watch far superior teams for 20 to 30 quid in Germany and Spain.  They don't have no where near the money we have but they don't do bad as leagues.  They seem to care more about their fans.

UK players will get overlooked, grass roots football will continue to get cancelled for two or three months of the year because of sh*t waterlogged pitches.  Junior clubs will still be getting changed at the side of the pitch.

It may be great for clubs but they will spend it on higher wages, higher transfer fees for substandard foreigners and higher agents fees.  

Meanwhile fans will still be robbed at the turnstiles paying hundreds of pounds to take two kids along whilst you can watch far superior teams for 20 to 30 quid in Germany and Spain.  They don't have no where near the money we have but they don't do bad as leagues.  They seem to care more about their fans.

UK players will get overlooked, grass roots football will continue to get cancelled for two or three months of the year because of sh*t waterlogged pitches.  Junior clubs will still be getting changed at the side of the pitch.

Certainly the money will go on fuelling wages for the players. But as Steve says it is an international brand now. Having thought about a financial model that for the domestic market simply doesn't make sense, I am sure Sky/BT will make their money back by charging other countries to watch the games. Otherwise it doesn't make sense financially.

Certainly the money will go on fuelling wages for the players. But as Steve says it is an international brand now. Having thought about a financial model that for the domestic market simply doesn't make sense, I am sure Sky/BT will make their money back by charging other countries to watch the games. Otherwise it doesn't make sense financially.

Why should Sky/BT care, the game to them is just a product to sell to the world wide masses , its the Premier League who should put some of the wealth in to the game at grassroots level as Chalky said and then the clubs to maybe reduce ticket prices will  both of them do any such thing I very much doubt it.  

Edited by shinehead

Why should Sky/BT care, the game to them is just a product to sell to the world wide masses , its the Premier League who should put some of the wealth in to the game at grassroots level as Chalky said and then the clubs to maybe reduce ticket prices will  both of them do any such thing I very much doubt it.  

No they won't because as far as they are concerned they all need as much money as possible to cement their position in the Prem. Theoretically if there wasn't a limit on how much Sky / BT would pay, the clubs could take ten times that amount.

I doubt there will be much charidee from the Prem clubs to the lower leagues / ticket prices….as far as they are concerned they need every penny to fuel their aspirations….

I wrote this among me cream it speech after the Man U game....in which I was 'cool about'...methinks!!!x 

" I had loads of pics taken outside with 'tourists' from all over the world having a 'Man U' experience! Chelsea I sit among first timers....wherever I sit!! West Ham not so bad....Arsenal.....nobody knows anybody....!!!! Horrible stuff considering the numbers involved. "

Point is.....the Prem DON'T NEED YOU....or any local fans....honest!!x Arsenal could sell another 20,000 seats every game.....to tourists. Chesea...Man U....and even West Brom sell out. West Brom have 45,000 internet fans who have never visited yet pay fees and moneys to be an electronic fan around the Globe!!! Many new income streams have been developed within these 'BUSINESSES' that turn over millions each WEEK!!!!x 'WE'...have lost it...it is not 'the peoples' game anymore. The Premiership is a separate entity and will continue to go that way. Other businesses do their thing....Google/Amazon/HSBC.....none of them pay £50 million to charity for.....wot???...qdos??? They don;t need too. Neither does the Prem....but they do. Folk employed to do the Prems business are no different to the Insurance/HSBC bank folk.........same as....and would love to put the £50 mill on Bolli or up their noses......i;m sure.

I have popped in because I have said I have close friends within the FA. I have spoken in general chat with some of them last night and this morning as it is a topical thingy init! I have been left feeling there is a chance to claw more dosh from them for 'good causes' under the scrutiny of the FA for investment into areas required. I would imagine a team is being assembled to lobby the business that is the Prem very shortly. It's a matter of 'face'. The Prems needs saving....it can be....I reckon!x

Have a good week all...X

LUV
SOOTY
X

I can't believe for one moment Dan Ashworth here....in charge of kids stuff Nationwide as well as other stuff....sharp and clean and as a dynamic member of the FA team....won't sort summink. He and colleagues would be on it......tbf....on me head son.....just needs endeavour.....team spirit....and a word the Prem employees are learning such as 'humility'.....or so Mourhino is getting his head round it...hehe!!x I believe the FA are well versed these days in all the required English vocabulary.....I weckon...!!x

danashworth.jpg

Edit......I have put up on my FB since using it over 200 football clubs grounds pic with me in the pic after visiting. That's in a year UK wide. From Lizards Point...to the shore of Portsoy in Scotland and across to Holyhead where I saw a spanking header go in too!!!x I have said I collate info for firms and organisations of all kinds. I do. I have passed on my gathered intelligence on these clubs and set ups to those who may need such knowledge that ive stumbled across in me travels doing other stuff!!!x Secret millionaire jobby sort of. It all helps!x Multi tasking....luv it!!!x

@@
~

Edited by SOOTY

Meanwhile the clubs are millions and millions in debt in an attempt to remain in the PL.  Two thirds of clubs in the Football League it has been said this morning have been in administration, some more than once chasing the dream. 

It is time this debt was tackled.  Ther should be a cap on wages, no club allowed to spend more than they bring in and any club showing a debt should have a transfer embargo imposed.

Edited by chalky

Meanwhile the clubs are millions and millions in debt in an attempt to remain in the PL.  Two thirds of clubs in the Football League it has been said this morning have been in administration, some more than once.  

It is time this debt was tackled.  Ther should be a cap on wages, no club allowed to spend more than they bring in and any club showing a debt should have a transfer embargo imposed.

Our club has tried hard to control wages in the last couple of years and it has resulted in us not signing some of the players we want because they don't fit into the wage structure….ultimately everyone is scared of the drop.

I wouldn't mind if the players paid their tax  :wicked:

No, read what I said. The stats refer to 'audience share' which is defined as % of TV viewers tuned into a particular station at a given time. Used by the industry to measure the popularity of TV / radio Stations. I'm sure plenty more more people have Sky Sports packages and plenty more do watch football every week. Ade

Our club has tried hard to control wages in the last couple of years and it has resulted in us not signing some of the players we want because they don't fit into the wage structure….ultimately everyone is scared of the drop.

I wouldn't mind if the players paid their tax  :wicked:

But what is your club's debt?

i wouldn't mind if bankers, big business and footballers paid their tax.

This countries priorities are aimed at the rich.

These days I have no idea. As we have had two years in the PL and haven't blown it all, we might be in good shape. 

In the past we had a chairman Mark Goldberk who spent money like confetti. We have been in administration twice. But we are talking about now and the latest Sky deal.  

I told my fans I walk the walk and not just jump on bandwagons. My FA Cup began here. There isn't 1 football person i've met whose been able to tell me anything about this game. MEGA and best match I have seen to date this season as an FA Cup game/experience....END OF. I know what it means to folk.....and to those who go to Wembley/Man U. I have a grasp of all and will do what I can...X

10561644_10152163159146307_4710204952433

This 'look' I have has been misinterpreted by the so called Fans body's bods as 'smug'. Nope....content. I was on the FA Cup before they knew wot date our first game wos!!!! Content.....and u can be when I know wot I know...and been with 'the people' to share that journey.....next stop the Prem doors i'd say....i;m very content with that too!!!x

934770_10152509249416307_127546567016255

LUV
SOOTY
X

Edited by SOOTY

The game I once loved is now f**ked at all levels of the professional game ripping off the loyal supporter , the one thing that really annoys me is the category status of games in the lower leagues if you support a team such as Leeds etc. they charge extra for the privilege to watch your team away , why ?  because they can because supporter's of the clubs like Leeds turn up in droves to away games and they just take advantage of the situation .   

Burnley don`t have any debt at all, probably why we`re in the bottom 3 but most of the real fans would rather us be in that position than gamble. Fine with me if they go down.....I hate the prem and everything it stands for. Last time I had sky was when they made the Bruno/Tyson fight pay-per-view, I threw it in the bin and will never have it back!

The EPL should be forced to share some of this dividend down through the lower leagues & grass roots, but they probably won't.

I heard someone on the radio saying that Sky were happy to & knowingly shelled out over well the odds just to retain their % of market dominance & it tags into massive & growing broadband market expansion, there must still be massive profit in it or they wouldn't be doing it even though they've psid 70% more than last time, plus of course they gave unprecedented demand for global broadcasting sell on rights.

End of the day, don't think all this money equates into better English football does it?

It's all about the international EPL.

These days I have no idea. As we have had two years in the PL and haven't blown it all, we might be in good shape. 

In the past we had a chairman Mark Goldberk who spent money like confetti. We have been in administration twice. But we are talking about now and the latest Sky deal.  

This is where we were in May at the end of the last season:

Turnover £14.5m

15th highest in the league

Wage bill £18.8m

12th highest in the league

Wage as a proportion of turnover 130%

Directors’ pay No directors were paid

Profit before tax £1.6m (Palace made £13.9m seeling players)

Net debt £7.4m

Interest payable Nil

Big story in the Standard today about premier league clubs paying a lot of back room staff the national minimum wage, not even the living wage :ohmy: . They should all be able to sort that out now, no excuses. 

This is where we were in May at the end of the last season:

Never had you down as a Palace gal sludge7  :D

Those Turnover figures can't be right for us though - we got about £75m last season from the PL….before anyone went through a turnstile…. :shhh:

Never had you down as a Palace gal sludge7  :D

Those Turnover figures can't be right for us though - we got about £75m last season from the PL….before anyone went through a turnstile…. :shhh:

I have hidden depths...  :)  I used to be a season ticket holder when I lived in London!!!

Figures (for all clubs -- not just Palace) at http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/22/club-by-club-guide-championship-finances-2012-2013

I have hidden depths...  :)  I used to be a season ticket holder when I lived in London!!!

Figures (for all clubs -- not just Palace) at http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/22/club-by-club-guide-championship-finances-2012-2013

I am sure our paths would have crossed since I was a ST Holder for over 20 years, and rarely missed a home game…these figs are for year to June 2013 - before we got promoted. 2013-14 revenue would be about 100m including the Sky money.  :thumbsup:

I was there round about 2001-2003 or so...

You are right about the dates now that I've looked again -- shouldn't try to be intelligent while at work -- got confused because the date on the article was Thursday 22 May 2014 21.59 BST -- so perhaps this May we'll get the figures from LAST season!  Doh!  :)

I had all big intentions of getting my two peneth in this thread but then I thought  what's the point like you say the country is F******

I've no interest in football but it does reflect to a degree what is going on in society generally -

Those at the top get richer

Those at the bottom are largely ignored

The top players wages are completely out of proportion

The clubs have been taken over by foreign capital

The supporters aren't given any consideration

The costs to supporters - at the game and on tv - grow wildly above their earning capacity

True, life long supporters are priced out of the game

The clubs show little attachment to their locality, or to the community that nourished them

There is little serious attempt to cultivate home grown talent

The national side is seen as an inconvenience rather then the pinnacle of the game as it should be

....oh and a fawning, indulgent media still gives more exposure to this wretched game and its performers than to all other sports combined.

Edited by westender

For all the billions ploughed into the Premier League we haven't really improved as a nation especially in Europe. We won more European trophies in the 20 years prior to the formation of the PL than we have in the 20 years since the formation.  We also had a ban for 5 years from Europe as well.  Grounds might be better, pitches might be better but as a European force we have not improved.

I've no interest in football but it does reflect to a degree what is going on in society generally -

Those at the top get richer

Those at the bottom are largely ignored

The top players wages are completely out of proportion

The clubs have been taken over by foreign capital

The supporters aren't given any consideration

The costs to supporters - at the game and on tv - grow wildly above their earning capacity

True, life long supporters are priced out of the game

The clubs show little attachment to their locality, or to the community that nourished them

There is little serious attempt to cultivate home grown talent

The national side is seen as an inconvenience rather then the pinnacle of the game as it should be

....oh and a fawning, indulgent media still gives more exposure to this wretched game and its performers than to all other sports combined.

:thumbsup: Good post….I'll still be watching Sky tonight though….there is an important game on for us,... :hatsoff2:

Any manager with a team at the bottom of the League looked perilous anyway now with this extra money been thrown in to the coffers a bad result at the weekend and it could be curtains.

Lambert gone….

Obscene indeed.

I struggle to watch a full 90 minute game even if it's United / England playing. I've got so used to MOTD that gives you the highlights of all the games. And if I'm honest, I've usually lost interest by the time the last few games come on.

I would never pay for live sport. I have the basic Sky package, and I only bought that for the Sky box which is just brilliant.

Some clued up people on here seem to be able to watch anything for free, including live sport and all the new movies. Wish someone would come and explain it to me. But it makes you wonder who pays for it all?

Some clued up people on here seem to be able to watch anything for free, including live sport and all the new movies. Wish someone would come and explain it to me. But it makes you wonder who pays for it all?

Poor honest hard-working folk like you and me!  :huh::(

Edited by sludge7

Obscene indeed.

I struggle to watch a full 90 minute game even if it's United / England playing. I've got so used to MOTD that gives you the highlights of all the games. And if I'm honest, I've usually lost interest by the time the last few games come on.

I would never pay for live sport. I have the basic Sky package, and I only bought that for the Sky box which is just brilliant.

Some very clever, excellent promotion of an all too often poor product.  You only had to see the games on sky two weeks ago, West Ham vs Man U, Everton vs Liverpool etc, p*ss poor.  Why anyone would want to pay £10m to screen those games is beyond me, why anyone would want to pay and watch it is beyond me even further.

Whe you watch either code of Rugby and see the hits they take then watch the fairies on a football pitch I just want to grab them by the scruff of the neck and throw them in the middle of a scrum.

i'd like to know where all these free channels are as well.

Edited by chalky

No, read what I said. The stats refer to 'audience share' which is defined as % of TV viewers tuned into a particular station at a given time. Used by the industry to measure the popularity of TV / radio Stations. I'm sure plenty more more people have Sky Sports packages and plenty more do watch football every week. Ade

revenue share might be a more appropriate figure to quote

Obscene indeed.

The Premier League sell their product abroad, and the broadcasts available in England (illegally) are from those overseas broadcasts.

That's what I thought.  At the last Bilbao weekender - Soul 4 Real I went to the match against Celta Viga - cheapest seat was 80 euros and it was not the best seat. £130 for me and my wife!!

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.