Ronnie Dyson 'i Want To Be Where You Are' Columbia

Still Diggin

Hi all

As many will know this track has been issued on 45 by expansion, with many claiming no previous 45 release, and only available from the 'Love in all flavors' lp. However i have on columbia 45

'Don't be afraid with the flip printed as 'I just want to be there'. However it plays 'Don't be afraid' with ' I Want to be where you are' on the flip. Is this a well know miss - press ? or am i just a jammy b******. Don't get me wrong, the official b side is imo a fantastic soul record anyway, but it does seem strange for a logo like columbia to get it that wrong. What do you reckon?

Andy

Social source share

Any chance of a Scan........

Sorry, but not up to speed with that. I assume it reads the same as the normal issue. It also has stamped at the top Horace a toussaint. who i assume is either a radio station dj or distributor, but i doubt this has any bearing on this miss-press.  Sorry i am not able to be of more help.

Andy

Social source share

I just found a scan on the net it appears "don't be afraid" is the plug side and is usually a double a side promoI've got the album and love the "I want to to be were you are" cut I had always assumed it to be LP only,

I guess its one of the many rare issue only copies that appeared during that period on epic and Columbia

Triode

Social source share

I just found a scan on the net it appears "don't be afraid" is the plug side and is usually a double a side promoI've got the album and love the "I want to to be were you are" cut I had always assumed it to be LP only,

I guess its one of the many rare issue only copies that appeared during that period on epic and Columbia

Triode

Not forgetting the RCA and Capitol issues.

Andy showed me the said copy last year must be a hard 45.

Social source share

Triode

This could well be the case. However this would then mean it is a miss- print as apposed to a miss-press. Does this also mean 'I just want to be there' (the title printed on the record) never came out on 45!. I still think there was a small batch miss-pressed? We will get to the bottom of this in the end. Many thanks for the input.

Andy

Social source share

Well, I found it.... But it plays the 'correct' sides!

So I guess we're now going into dead wax territory to find out the differences.

"I just want to be there" - has the 'KENDUN' stamp followed by the letter A 

Then ZSS 163365 2c

The official A side "Don't be afraid" has the same 'KENDUN' stamp followed by

ZSS 163364 1c

That's all for now!

Social source share

Thanks for digging it out John. The Dead wax on mine is all the same except on the 'I just want to be there side' (which plays I wanna be where you are' has a 1 as apposed to a 2. So after both matrix it is 1c. So I guess it is checking or asking on every issue copy that comes along. Best of luck folks and thanks for the info John. My thinking is they did a small run then realized the cock up!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!