NY Soul

• Replies 1
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest trickbag

Also wasn’t there an sampler LP pressed up for DJ’s only — possibly called Club Soul with just a white sleeve?

Correct! My friend Brian Peters (the only surviving member of the original Scene DJ roster of Brian, Guy Stevens and James Hamilton) has the only traceable copy, which was actually Guy’s copy originally. The catalogue number, which I don’t have to hand, was recycled for ‘Pure Blues’. There were appparently less than a dozen copies pressed and these really WERE test pressings.

A copy of the Club Soul turned up in Earwaves records in Manchester around 2 years a go. Went swiftly for £100. I was gutted — it was white cover with printed insert. Maybe it came from a Twisted Wheel DJ?

I’m sure that the copy that was sold in Manchester would have originated from the late Roger Eagle, he would definitely have had one at some point as a friend of Guy’s and a pioneering R&B/soul DJ. Come to think of it, Guy would probably have had a bit of trouble giving away a dozen copies back then, as there can’t have actually been 12 DJs who would have been interested in playing its contents!

One planned Sue release that never materialsied and that was possibly never even allocated a catalogue number is:
Pure Gold 311: Donnie Williams — Boogie Chillen’s Playhouse/Mister B
- we have a copy of a letter from Guy Stevens to collector Harold Eastwood saying that the record had been licensed and that he was very excited about the prospect of releasing it. Heaven only knows why Sue didn’t. By my estimation it would have come out somewhere between WI 327 and WI 340 had it been released here. 338 is a missing number, though, so it could well have been planned to be Mr. Williams.

Modculture

Interview: Tony Rounce talks Sue Records

by Modculture 19 October, 2011

this might help you.

ricky.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!