John Manship Auction Results 11 -2 - 2015

JOE TORQUAY

9699_1sm.jpg9699_1sm.jpg9699_2sm.jpg
Flirtations Stronger Than Her Love C/w Settle Down

The authentic original west coast promo copy delta # 64784 with the top-quality fidelity.

A New York “dream-team” constructed girl-group Northern Soul anthem that in 1975/76 filled the dancefloors of all the leading NS all-night clubs. As the extraordinary writing talents of Sidney Barnes, Horace Ott arranging skills & Herb Abramson producing know how, all comes together in one 2.47 minute experience of Girl Northern Soul at its most effective.

Classic from the Top-Drawer but maybe as we get a little mature in our tastes we can now look at the fabulous down-beater on the flipside. Again it’s Sidney Barnes yearning lyrics that pull you into a whirlpool of Soul as Siren-like the girls lure you into one incredibly fine mid-pacer.

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 425.00

9709_1sm.jpg9709_1sm.jpg9709_2sm.jpg
Elaine Armstrong Sad But True C/w Precious Minutes (i Can Really Call Mine)

Only once before have I had the pleasure of auctioning this phenomenal double helping of Pure-Soul; I was taken aback not only by it’s extreme rarity or by the mighty-presence of this solitary 45 release of a lady with an astonishing vocal.

But by the story of Elaine Armstrong herself, a history making young black girl who in 1965 broke the last University segregation at Hattiesburg, Mississippi as she along with Raylawni Branch; flanked by 6 Policemen the pair the first Afro-American students to attend the last remaining Mississippi University still stubbornly holding on to the “Segregation” ruling..

What a talent this lady was as this “Blow-U-Away” disc proves, as her one Nashville studio session created totally Top-Drawer Black Music.

A-side is a Marva Whitney standard Deep Funk destroyer, as Eliane co-writes with producer Charles Spurling an ear-bleeding juggernaut of a tune! Bulldozing dancefloor-detonator showcasing a young vocal with the power to burst eardrums.. This is DEEP FUNK at it’s most potent!

Flip it over and one of Nashville great providers of Pure Soul gives Elaine a tune that lacerates your gut, stabbing your heart as that sublime vocal portrays Robert S. Riley’s poignant lyrics with passion belying her tender years.

That’s it.. this great lady’s one and only offering to Soul music.. how sad is that ..i could listen to her all day… every day.

The winning bid was £ 245.00

9706_1sm.jpg9706_1sm.jpg9706_2sm.jpg
Sonny Jones Stolen Moments

Rare urban New Orleans Soul … don’t you just love it!

Especially when it emerges from two of the Crescent City’s most industrious music talents, Al Scramuzza & Eddie Bocage collaborate again, molding uncompromising horn propelled Northern Soul, soften slightly by a team of girls, lovingly adding the chorus.. shrill and sweet in contrast to Sonny rasping.

Essentially this recording is a “call & answer” duet started off with a pleading girl-request “for one moment” but there is no Sister credit on the label, even though this mysterious lady owns a beautifully purring vocal.

Flip it over for an highly coveted “on your knees” Deep Soul ballad, shimmering with all the same ingredients as the A-side but taken down to a funeral pace by sorrow-filled Sisters and a droning hammond.

Two perfect examples of 60s New Orleans Soul, distilled with the street experience .

Very seldom comes to market and condition is blinding!

The winning bid was £ 184.00

9696_1sm.jpg9696_1sm.jpg9696_2sm.jpg
Tranells Blessed With A Love

Buckle Up!!

THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL

The winning bid was £ 1,784.00

9700_1sm.jpg9700_1sm.jpg9700_2sm.jpg
Harold Andrews You're A Winner C/w We Got To Get Back Together

Note this is NOT the known ballad version..

but a mysterious F-2655* mix, which is right-on-the-money upbeat Northern Soul. (You can Compare the huge difference between the two mixes on You Tube). You will find this “unknown” version massively of more interest to the Northern Soul collector.

Click the soundfile to hear the undeniable potential for an extremely rare attention-grabbing Northern Soul to take hold.. Yet again the Californian Mr,. Andrews delivers something special - not only with this vinyl-anomaly. But also with the flipside - a slab of Deep Soul “Otis” would have been proud of.

Two fabulous Soul cuts - with today’s lead a real-find!

The winning bid was £ 205.00

9708_1sm.jpg9708_1sm.jpg9708_2sm.jpg
Hit Pack Never Say No To Your Baby C/w Let's Dance

The mysterious Hit Pack could just as easily called themselves “The Roberts” On this 45 the gatherings one and only single for Motown was created on both sides by Robert Staunton & Robert “Stick To Me” Walker, with allegedly Robert Dobyne booming out the vocal, on a proper uncomplicated Northern Soul stomper, flip it over for some gritty Detroit “Tittyshakin’” Boo-Ga-Loo.

Surprisingly “noncommercial” for Motown riding high in 1965 but not surprising that this release failed miserably in Great Britain, with the Brits fully occupied with adulation for The Supremes, The Miracles, The Temptations, Four Tops etc. etc.

Tamla Motown condition conscious worriers, can rest assured an upgrade of this flawless example would be too challenging to contemplate.

The winning bid was £ 175.00

9695_1sm.jpg9695_1sm.jpg9695_2sm.jpg
Ivorys Please Stay C/w I'm In The Groove

Note this is release # 470 the FIRST press of this NS floor-magnet.

Seldom if ever seen for sale - we must point out that the label has had restoration (see scan) writer credits neatly added - the vinyl has surface marks but plays but plays magnificently.

Carefully check out the soundfile lifted directly off this highly desirable disc.

The winning bid was £ 1,164.00

9705_1sm.jpg9705_1sm.jpg9705_2sm.jpg
Masqueraders How C/w I'm Gonna Make It

The Masqueraders undoubtedly one of the most talented Soul teams ever assembled. Over the years recording for a multitude of labels and I’m finding myself unable to think of one single track I don’t like.

The Masqueraders - consistently delivering quality.. was their brand..

Before you is their most-coveted 45, not only because it was released on one of Detroit’s most-sought-after labels but because it gives up not one but two utterly magnificent Northern Soul dancers.

The topside may today, be considered a classic, but it is equally well received at the “rare” venues, as it is at the oldies orientated events. Never suffering from too much exposure. The flipside must be held in equally high-regard by those who scratch below the surface for their tunes, as most feel it is equally mesmerizing. As the lead vocal changes from a creamy soulful schmooze to a snarling angry guy on a mission, stating his case hanging onto a thumpin’ dance arrangement.

Against all odds this copy, is one the few “La Beat” 45s that escaped the trauma of flooding and has two very acceptable labels just a couple of insignificant h2o zits (see scan). The vinyl is truly immaculate underlined by paper-chard still hanging from the punched-out center hole, evidence of almost no human-contact. A 45 that is so very, very challenging to find this Detroit double-helping of perfect vocal-group Northern Soul in this near flawless condition.

Click the sound-file to remind yourself just what a superior offering the 45 is…

The winning bid was £ 1,114.00

9694_1sm.jpg9694_1sm.jpg9694_2sm.jpg
Helen Shapiro Stop And You Will Become Aware

Everything that could be said about this British only “Hurricane Smith” crafted Northern Soul stompin’ classic, has already been said and requires no repeating… I really don’t feel I could lift this 45’s desirability or reputation any higher than it already is..

So let us just mention CONDITION, CONDITION, CONDITION!

You will not acquire a finer, cleaner, unblemished copy than this near perfect offering - it is without question the finest example I’ve seen in memory.

No DJ action whatsoever just a precious admired file copy and utterly flawless in every respect!

The winning bid was £ 261.00

9701_1sm.jpg9701_1sm.jpg9701_2sm.jpg
Betty Winston C/w Bobby Robinson Spellbound C/w Ain't No Sun (since You've Been Gone)

Recent “forum” discussions about this unissued Detroit Northern Soul beauty - jogged my memory to thinking I have an acetate of this somewhere; then purely by chance, a month later I found it. Only God knows how long it has been languishing in unfiled, unprocessed stock, but how refreshing was it to hear again the genius of Richard Popcorn Wylie?

From the late 70s when Richard Popcorn Wylie’s unissued work was appearing on UK RCA’s Grapevine labels. ie Betty Boo “Say It Isn’t So”, some acetates of recordings not used as Grapevine 45 releases, got circulated to a few privileged NS DJ’s.

Before you today is a 7” UK cut acetate aimed at DJ use… “Spellbound” being a stunning example of “Popcorn’s” work and of course his consistent rare-talent for crafting, what later became peerless Northern Soul.

As a bonus there’s a cool version of “Ain’t No Sun (Since You’ve Been Gone” on the flipside…

I’d like to tell you more of how in came into my possession but I honestly can’t remember, it may well have been decades ago… sacrilege!! ..as this killer requires to be in a NS DJ’s box, as Northern Soul of this calibre begs to grace the club turntables again…

The winning bid was £ 476.00

9698_1sm.jpg9698_1sm.jpg9698_2sm.jpg
Barbara Dane I'm On My Way

Hard-Core Madame R&B dancer - orginal first version of a gleaming clean “white” label promo copy - not to be confused with the later and inferior version on Capitol. 3 Trey press is the only way to acquire the meaty, in-your-face defiant version.

The winning bid was £ 260.00

9707_1sm.jpg9707_1sm.jpg9707_2sm.jpg
Roger Washington You're Too Much C/w I Need Somebody

Floor lifting New York R&B infused Soul Dancer. An impressive Joe Davis D.I.Y. project with the reliable talents of Larry Lucie adding weight to the lyrics.

Top side travels a bumpy blend of screeching horns and highly strung guitar work as Roger Washington enthusiastically spits out his appreciation of a beauty with a lady with “Big Brown Eyes” perfectly mixing the Soul Sound and the R&B Blues attitude, supremely bridged by a spectacular Sax-break.

Flip it over to be moved by strolling Deep Soul ballad also featuring that skillfully plucked Blues- Guitar. Two strong sides, but more importanly this 45 is tough to find in clean condition. ie Sparkling labels and near flawless vinyl; close inspection of both sides reveal one light blemish not affecting play whatsoever.

The winning bid was £ 186.00

9693_1sm.jpg9693_1sm.jpg9693_2sm.jpg
Ester Byrde Touch Me Take Me Vocal & Instrumental

The 1975 original version that many think superior to the better known Rita Wright on 1978 UK Jet. Which ever “take” you prefer, there can be no disputing which 45 is the rarer of the two. With this listing pressed on a tiny independent London enterprise and suffering from limited promotion and stunted distribution.

If my memory serves n=me correctly the Soulful Stepper by Rita Wright was discovered first and exploded into “monster” status on the 90s capital soulful stepper scene.

The original is so much sexier, with Esther’s vocal sparking a male lusting that Rita cannot match.

Seldom seen for sale and this copy as you can see and hear is immaculate

The winning bid was £ 70.00

9697_1sm.jpg9697_1sm.jpg9697_2sm.jpg
Romeo Taylor When You Made Love Part 1 & 2

A dreamy Soul ballad from this highly talent street-level label owner.

We his mind firmly fixed, you do get the impression this song was especially written and performed for the lady in his life. As Romeo delivers a real-deal Romeo performance of passion.

The winning bid was £ 75.00

Social source share

My copy of Harold Andrews is an orange stock copy that plays the same version as Manship's. I'd never heard the slow one till now!

Snap Matt :thumbsup:

I too have a orange issue that's the uptempo version.

Wasn't the slower version released on Galaxy prior to Early Bird.

Dave

Social source share

I was always under the impression that the Esther Byrde rough looking solid centre was a boot/2nd issue pressed on demand, and the original pronged centre is the only original? was I ill advised (I passed the info on to someone recently who had the solid centre who was disappointed, I hope I didn't let them down!). Anyone know?

cheers Sutty

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was always under the impression that the Esther Byrde rough looking solid centre was a boot/2nd issue pressed on demand, and the original pronged centre is the only original? was I ill advised (I passed the info on to someone recently who had the solid centre who was disappointed, I hope I didn't let them down!). Anyone know?

cheers Sutty

I was pondering this exact same issue myself when I saw this auction item. However, it looks totally bang on to me - the exact same label layout as the push-out centre version.

The bootleg version looks pretty bad, where the logo should be metallic gold it's actually beige and you can see pixels round it. If you look at the writing credit "Steve Royal" - it should be the same width as the name ESTER BYRDE, but on the boot it's really small print.

But the copy Mr Manship is auctioning just looks like a solid centre version of the push-out centre one. Never seen one like that, obviously another pressing came out at the time.

Great track and looks like someone got a bargain!

PS Does anyone know anything else about Esther Byrde? She sang backing vocals on the first Orange Juice album (probably of interest to me and Pete Smith and two other people on this planet) but never heard another mention...

Original: ester-byrde-touch-me-take-me-survival-70

Bootleg:

post-2336-0-25359900-1423695207_thumb.jp

Edited by cover-up
Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

The strange world of Northern soul again. The Ivories makes nearly £1200 for a far from mint copy, yet the Tranells that used to be a three grand record only makes £1800.

Phil i thought same , Tranells is still rare tune

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

The strange world of Northern soul again. The Ivories makes nearly £1200 for a far from mint copy, yet the Tranells that used to be a three grand record only makes £1800.

the IVORIES is the first release and a great tune as im sure you agree, never mind the text, the earlier number wasn't really considered in the days when the disc itself was rare it wasn't something that anyone thought of, only in the last  10 years and prior to that all anyone ever discussed was the script or block text., the number diff was never noted on any lists I have from 1978 thru 2004, LEAST WAYS FROM MY READING, (certainly over here no one considered it till I mentioned it)  until the tom kline book was published I would not have known either. although someone may know diff. imo

damn good price from a $300 ebay purchase in 2004

Social source share

cheers Sutty

I bought it brand new on release for 50p in after a review of it Dave Godin. Mine was solid centre, sold it  a while back (idiot). Always loved the instrumental flip.

Social source share

Is it me or is the quality (condition) of the sound file lifted from the auction copy of the Flirtations that is not good ? I'd say condition is not good...

Well, I was interested in the Flirtations till I played the sound clip and it sounded like it had styrene wear all the way through, so didn't bother bidding.

The Ivorys was only VG+, so that equates to a minter being about £1800ish.

Edited by CarlF
Social source share

Well, I was interested in the Flirtations till I played the sound clip and it sounded like it had styrene wear all the way through, so didn't bother bidding.

The Ivorys was only VG+, so that equates to a minter being about £1800ish.

You are quite right Carl. Just gone back and listened to the soundfile of the Flirtations and it hisses like buggery all the way through - personally I could never bear to listen to it (in that state) at home, or play such a poor sounding record to paying punters.

Clearly a horrible and prolonged case of cue-burn, as, by contrast, the wonderful flip 'Settle Down' sounds crystal clear.

Social source share

I bought it brand new on release for 50p in after a review of it Dave Godin. Mine was solid centre, sold it  a while back (idiot). Always loved the instrumental flip.

Thanks Jim and Cover-Up, so looks like there are 3 variations, original solid as sold in the auction and original pronged centre then what looks like a later boot with a solid centre. I have been told it was pressed up for demand, and as the 2-step and reggae scenes were a little inter-twined... The solid one I saw recently was definitely not right, looked like a JA press if anything the printing/label was poor and it was definitely worse sound quality. The auction price wasn't bad it's gone for more than that in recent years

cheers Sutty

Social source share

the IVORIES is the first release and a great tune as im sure you agree, never mind the text, the earlier number wasn't really considered in the days when the disc itself was rare it wasn't something that anyone thought of, only in the last  10 years and prior to that all anyone ever discussed was the script or block text., the number diff was never noted on any lists I have from 1978 thru 2004, LEAST WAYS FROM MY READING, (certainly over here no one considered it till I mentioned it)  until the tom kline book was published I would not have known either. although someone may know diff. imo

read a piece about this from a U.S. price guide and the 470 release came out a couple of years before either of the two 12266 releases like you say pretty much unknown until you mentioned it and it showed up in JM's price guide volume 6 :thumbsup:

Social source share

I'm all for owning the original release, but I would always rather have a minty later number release than a battered original myself. I like to listen to them more than look at them.

Before this number issue came to light everyone wanted the script logo label design.

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

there's a few of the Ivories on that design gone thru Ebay

correct ted, and of this 470 too. id never seen one before 2004 but I don't think we were looking for that. only script or block. I haven't seen a script 470 so if anyone has one flick a scan up

Social source share

I'm all for owning the original release, but I would always rather have a minty later number release than a battered original myself. I like to listen to them more than look at them.

Before this number issue came to light everyone wanted the script logo label design.

My Ivories is identical to the one John auctioned except it's mint with no label damage, came from our friend in Todmorden for either 50 or 75 (can't remember exactly) about 20 years ago, I hadn't seen it before on that design but didn't think it was that rare.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Thanks Jim and Cover-Up, so looks like there are 3 variations, original solid as sold in the auction and original pronged centre then what looks like a later boot with a solid centre. I have been told it was pressed up for demand, and as the 2-step and reggae scenes were a little inter-twined... The solid one I saw recently was definitely not right, looked like a JA press if anything the printing/label was poor and it was definitely worse sound quality. The auction price wasn't bad it's gone for more than that in recent years

cheers Sutty

I think it's four:

1) "A" label demo (with push-out centre)

2) issue copy (with push-out centre)

3) solid centre issue

4) wonky looking solid centre bootleg

Social source share

Is it me or is the quality (condition) of the sound file lifted from the auction copy of the Flirtations that is not good ? I'd say condition is not good...

I used to have a plain red label copy of that design and the sound quality was equally poor even though it looked ok.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I used to have a plain red label copy of that design and the sound quality was equally poor even though it looked ok.

Happy with my vinyl & colored label then ! Even though the 'settle down' side could be an interesting listening with a good set-up on the styrene releases if well pressed and mastered to give it a more "airy" sound...

Social source share

Guest east rob

Why would anyone buy that Emidisc?

no idea Pete, the "Aint No Sun" side is The Profonix  version on Davey-Paul that Richard used to play. 

Cheaper to buy the original

Social source share

why do you think there should be a Jamaican copy? Doubt it

I didn't say anything about a Jamaican copy. Just that there's an (obvious) bootleg. Which someone else reckoned seemed Jamaican... Maybe this merits its own thread, but all the info seems to be stated on this thread!

Social source share

I didn't say anything about a Jamaican copy. Just that there's an (obvious) bootleg. Which someone else reckoned seemed Jamaican... Maybe this merits its own thread, but all the info seems to be stated on this thread!

sorry I misquoted you I apologize
Social source share

Happy with my vinyl & colored label then ! Even though the 'settle down' side could be an interesting listening with a good set-up on the styrene releases if well pressed and mastered to give it a more "airy" sound...

Indeed, I kept the red copy because I had never seen another, but always used a multi coloured copy to play.

Social source share

Guest son of stan

PS Does anyone know anything else about Esther Byrde? She sang backing vocals on the first Orange Juice album (probably of interest to me and Pete Smith and two other people on this planet) but never heard another mention...

Original: ester-byrde-touch-me-take-me-survival-70

Bootleg:

I am pretty sure I have an old 'Black Music' which has a piece about her from the time this came out. Will see if I can dig it out...

Social source share

read a piece about this from a U.S. price guide and the 470 release came out a couple of years before either of the two 12266 releases like you say pretty much unknown until you mentioned it and it showed up in JM's price guide volume 6 :thumbsup:

I think that US piece is incorrect (nothing new there!). 12266 is I am pretty sure just the date the record was released and was probably first (i.e. 2nd December 1966). Contact was active years 66-67 Willie Cager etc., so maybe the Contact one was just a re-press with supposedly better distribution? 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

"Ivorys" 7 out of 41 on popsike on that label design and number with the balance split pretty evenly between Italic And Block release!!! and 5 on Wand the maths speak for themselves on rarity me thinks :g:

Yep, sort of.

So if the Popsike numbers are representative, that means that roughly one in six (17%, from 7/41) of the Despenzas are of the '470' type.

And, roughly one in nine (11%, from 5/46) of all original copies of 'Please Stay' are on Wand.

Five Ivories on the Wand label is the same number as the Gentlemen Four.

Edited by Peter Richer
Social source share

I think that US piece is incorrect (nothing new there!). 12266 is I am pretty sure just the date the record was released and was probably first (i.e. 2nd December 1966). Contact was active years 66-67 Willie Cager etc., so maybe the Contact one was just a re-press with supposedly better distribution? 

All the Despenza (470 & 12266 release numbers) releases are a division of Contact records so you would expect same distribution!! I did have a print out of the U.S. price guide which mentioned the earlier 470 release I will try and find it and post it up if not I will try and contact the dealer and ask him to email me a copy to post :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve, This is the link I was looking for!! They couldn't even confirm it's existance back then although the Wand issue was confirmed!! hope this helps! Atb John. :thumbsup:

post-6928-0-81078800-1424095654.jpg

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

Steve, This is the link I was looking for!! They couldn't even confirm it's existance back then although the Wand issue was confirmed!! hope this helps! Atb John. :thumbsup:

attachicon.gifivories.jpg

OK cheers, nothing about 470 being before 12266 there though….interesting the Traits one on Contact (501) has a date for a number on it as well…112466, so a couple of weeks before the Ivories 12266, and Anita ANderson (Contact 502) is 112466 as well :g:

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks steve

OK cheers, nothing about 470 being before 12266 there though….interesting the Traits one on Contact (501) has a date for a number on it as well…112466, so a couple of weeks before the Ivories 12266, and Anita ANderson (Contact 502) is 112466 as well :g:

Thanks Steve, All interesting stuff never could understand some of the logic behind the record numbering systems from the U.S. Atb John. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!