Female "big Beat" Ballads - Your Faves?

Ljblanken

• Replies 365
  • Views 29.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

This one is fantastic x

I don't know what it is about Brenda Reids voice but it reaches every bone in my body. I can't remember if i have seen her  live during mid seventies in the "reaching for the best period" but even in my youth full state I am sure I would have remembered that voice. I'm not sure if she was there then but I know Herb Rooney was. Fantastic post. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I had one of these for sale yesterday and nobody bought it.  Unbelievable.  I've never heard such a heartbreaking performance such as Big Maybelle's on Oh Lord etc, especially right near the end where it has a chord change and she almost cries asshe sings.  An amazing record.

A thousand blights on the soul community.!!! :glare: Someone buy it to balance the yin - yang of the universe.!!! 

Social source share

I had one of these for sale yesterday and nobody bought it.  Unbelievable.  I've never heard such a heartbreaking performance such as Big Maybelle's on Oh Lord etc, especially right near the end where it has a chord change and she almost cries asshe sings.  An amazing record.

I saw that and for a very reasonable price .

Anyone I know who hears this falls in love with it , what emotion she puts into it but then judging by the hard life she had she was sure singing it for real .

I always play this as an ender when I'm djing 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I saw that and for a very reasonable price .

Anyone I know who hears this falls in love with it , what emotion she puts into it but then judging by the hard life she had she was sure singing it for real .

I always play this as an ender when I'm djing 

i have this record and it is listed as Scepter 1279 (with "same old story" on the other side - great tune also)...

question: when i looked up on "solufulkindamusic" discography it says: 

Scepter 1279 - Oh Lord, What Are You Doing To Me / ? - 1964 (unissued, instead released on this number was The Younger Brothers with " Harmonica Lesson / Ya Gotta Believe Me")

what does this mean?

Social source share

i have this record and it is listed as Scepter 1279 (with "same old story" on the other side - great tune also)...

question: when i looked up on "solufulkindamusic" discography it says: 

Scepter 1279 - Oh Lord, What Are You Doing To Me / ? - 1964 (unissued, instead released on this number was The Younger Brothers with " Harmonica Lesson / Ya Gotta Believe Me")

what does this mean?

I think it means "soulful..." made a mistake. I thought something didn't seem right so I went on "....frenzy" and found plenty of copies ranging

from $15- $50ish depending on condition.

Social source share

Has anybody mentioned Chi Chi yet?  she fits perfectly into this category, very much in the Patti & the Emblems old I guess...

throw in Rhetta Hughes - Cry Myself To Sleep...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMpyinYqO2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvWiLicMtHw

ohh and this one.. brilliant track, Sharon Marshall - Where did you leave your heart..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S4iWFs2nhs

mal.C :-))

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Always struck me as an underrated example of this sound at its very best.

Dean & Jean ‘Silly Little Girl’

This is very slightly reminiscent of the Shirelles' Foolish Little Girl.

I love all these ones being posted, this style is right up my street musically, so soulful.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Great record - I used to play this as a kid via my Moms copy of Billy Fury's version!

Slightly off topic but I've got a version of Run To My Loving Arms on my PC by Lenny Welch, can't remember where I got it from, certainly not on the CDs I've got of his material. Perhaps he did the demo.

Social source share

Slightly off topic but I've got a version of Run To My Loving Arms on my PC by Lenny Welch, can't remember where I got it from, certainly not on the CDs I've got of his material. Perhaps he did the demo.

Sorry I'm losing the plot, I meant Jimmy Radcliffe not Lenny Welch. Apologies for any confusion caused.

Social source share

Geoff, you were right about the Lenny Welch version, that's on Kapp and is excellent - but I don't think there was any Jimmy Radcliffe involvement in this song, I might be wrong

Social source share

Geoff, you were right about the Lenny Welch version, that's on Kapp and is excellent - but I don't think there was any Jimmy Radcliffe involvement in this song, I might be wrong

Pete I listened to the mp3 of it a few weeks a go when I put the live video of Lenny Welch's version in the video section...here is a link to you having a discussion about another Jimmy Radcliffe's tune but Run To My Loving Arms is mentioned also in the topic:    :) x

Social source share

Pete I listened to the mp3 of it a few weeks a go when I put the live video of Lenny Welch's version in the video section...here is a link to you having a discussion about another Jimmy Radcliffe's tune but Run To My Loving Arms is mentioned also in the topic:    :) x

That gentleman made an awful lot of money out of us  :yes:

Social source share

yes!

i started a thread on SS a long time ago specifically asking if the "Stafford sound" (which, to my limited knowledge would include many of the songs featured on this thread) was in any way related to the Belgian Popcorn scene. they seem to have a large overlap to me.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!