Female "big Beat" Ballads - Your Faves?

Ljblanken

• Replies 365
  • Views 29.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

big thanks to all posting ,some amazing records ,as someone said earlyer, think some are midtempo , not beat ballards but loving them all , as for the beat ballards , some known, lots not ,an amazing thread , need to start hunting again,keep posting all 

Thank you Vicky!! and yes some more midtempo than beat ballads, infact a couple I would personally say even more uptempo  :D but by the amount putting links, it's obvious we all love girl groups  :) x

Social source share

The Sweethearts - What did I do? (what did I say) x also recorded as The Lovables & Barbara J & The Silver Slippers, members are: Barbara Sullivan, her sister Shirley and Kim Lewis. Shirley went on to marry Cuba Gooding Sr (singer from Main Ingredient) and their son is Cuba Gooding Jr (The actor) Just thought some of you might have liked that info? xx

Edited by JustASoulie
Social source share

Shelly.. It doesn't matter what decade it happens to be from class shines through..I adore Gloria Scott's a case of too much love making and Marcia Hines You gotta let go.

Steve. X

Hi Steve, thanks so much for the kind positves, I also like those 2 tunes you mention, have you heard the version by Paprika Soul? also Lorraine Silver did a version tho to be honest still not as good as Gloria's, still worth a listen as everyones taste is different. xx

Social source share

Hi Steve, thanks so much for the kind positves, I also like those 2 tunes you mention, have you heard the version by Paprika Soul? also Lorraine Silver did a version tho to be honest still not as good as Gloria's, still worth a listen as everyones taste is different. xx

Shelly. Personally I prefer Lisa Stansfields cover than Paprika Soul,s. Not heard Lorraine Silver's version but I love lost summer love

Steve. X

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Things that I love in the female BB category

Barbara Banks - Aint I worth a dime

Baby Washington - There he is

Marva Josie - Don't 

Judy Clay - Haven't got what it takes

Sylvia St Claire - It hurts to see you happy

all I can muster on a Sunday morning

P

Edited by tiggerwoods
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

You gave me love - Bettye Swann

I'll just walk away - Delilah Moore

I've got s shield around my heart - Lillian Dupree

Nobody but you - Esther Phillips

This is the thanks I get - Barbara Lynn

Detroit - Kim Weston

I know it's my top 6 not top 5 but this is the best I can get it down to. I could put another 5 in no probs.

Pete

• Helpful 3
Social source share

You gave me love - Bettye Swann

I'll just walk away - Delilah Moore

I've got s shield around my heart - Lillian Dupree

Nobody but you - Esther Phillips

This is the thanks I get - Barbara Lynn

Detroit - Kim Weston

I know it's my top 6 not top 5 but this is the best I can get it down to. I could put another 5 in no probs.

Pete

Lillian Dupree and Esther Phillips are stunning records. . Remember buying a Esther Phillips on a roulette demo as a relatively unknown record about twenty years ago.

Steve

Social source share

Hope you've hung on to Esther...I've only ever owned Detroit - Kim Western, had a stock copy on Rakkim (spelling???) out of all of these delectable cuts. Had a job narrowing it down...Roddie Joy...Linda Jones...Tammi....Gladys loads and loads.

Hi Pedro.unfortunately sold my collection a couple of years ago.

Steve

Social source share

Here's another roulette gem. Tasha Thomas. I saw the sky.

Can't upload off my kindle could someone please

Steve

link is on page 2 Steve, moi uploaded it along with Verdelle Smith  :P xx discovered if people put the name of the tune with the link then it will show when you do a search on this topic, makes it a lot easier to keep track what's been posted x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Mrs M

Breaking Point by Dena Johnson aka Joshie Jo Arnstead on Wild Deuce for me along with I Really Love You - Dee Dee Sharp and more recently one incredible Deep Soul Ballad by Barbara Jean English - You're Gonna Need Somebody To Love You!!! Incredible track courtesy of the legendary George Kerr. Check it out...

Social source share

I love tunes like Sweets - "something about my baby" or Big Maybelle's "it's raining."[/size

I'm sure people out there have tons of other great suggestions. I am looking to blow up my want list!

thanks!

We had to wait a while for The Sweet "Something etc" as the boot had instro as flip in favour which is what usually happened as instro's were also big in the 70's

Edited by theothertosspot
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!