Detroit Unknown...or Not

Soulskate

I'm always amazed at certain records that seem to fall through the cracks due to various reasons; (rarity, etc.).

This example stumps me as it checks all the boxes for a good, uptempo soul dancer from the Mecca of uptempo soul....

Has this been played out before? Was it covered? Forgotten? Or maybe due to the fact that it's a white group (early formation of Frijid Pink. Gasp!) dismissed....

Will someone who knows please enlighten me? :thumbsup:

The Detroit Vibrations-She's A Winner

https://www.divshare.com/download/26733639-285

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That doesn't sound at all like a Detroit recording to me.  Furthermore, I've never heard of a group called "The Detroit Vibrations".  That group name sounds suspiciously like a cover-up phoney group name for a recently-found master tape of a vinyl-unreleased song.  I'll be curious to find out the source of this recording.

Social source share

That doesn't sound at all like a Detroit recording to me.  Furthermore, I've never heard of a group called "The Detroit Vibrations".  That group name sounds suspiciously like a cover-up phoney group name for a recently-found master tape of a vinyl-unreleased song.  I'll be curious to find out the source of this recording.

The actual 45 is my avatar :)

Social source share

The Detroit Vibrations were a blue eyed soul/garage Mitch Ryder sound-a-like band. A ton of those types of groups popped up in Detroit after Mitch hit it big and essentially killed the true garage punk sound for the city. It's an actual 60's record. There were other records on the label but I don't know if the Sequins is the same company as the number doesn't fit with the rest of the discography, plus the address is different.

https://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/detroitsound.htm

Social source share

It's on Detroit Sound out of Detroit [on Warren]

All garage/punk/pop.

I don't think Sequins on D.S. is same label but not 100% sure.

ROD

Thanks, Rod.  I've seen a lot of those Steiner-owned Detroit Sound records, but never one by The Detroit Vibrations.   We had an old thread on the Old Soulful Detroit Forum on this very subject.  Ron Murphy and a couple other detroiters who had been around in the '60s assured us that those two record companies were completely separate, with no connection.  I believe that The Sequins' was the only release on Taylor's Detroit Sound.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!