Help

Tanktop

Can anyone direct me as to where i can purchase the old style 7" cardboard record covers, you know the one's that we all used to have in the 70s with the plastic label protector & coloured binding down the sides. I know that they have started to make them again & i'm feckin' fed up of the white ones, cheers guy's....

Social source share

Can anyone direct me as to where i can purchase the old style 7" cardboard record covers, you know the one's that we all used to have in the 70s with the plastic label protector & coloured binding down the sides. I know that they have started to make them again & i'm feckin' fed up of the white ones, cheers guy's....

I'd be interested to know that too, haven't seen any for sale anywhere.

There are some 2nd hand ones on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARD-7-RECORD-SLEEVES-PLASTIC-LINED-X15-NO-WRITING-/141563651280?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20f5d9e4d0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARD-7-RECORD-SLEEVES-PLASTIC-LINED-X25-MOST-HAVE-WRITING-STICKER-STAINS-/141563644939?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20f5d9cc0b

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARD-RECORD-SLEEVES-7-PLASTIC-LINING-X32-MOST-HAVE-WRITING-STICKER-STAINS-/141563648124?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20f5d9d87c

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARD-7-RECORD-SLEEVES-PLASTIC-LINED-X25-MOST-HAVE-GOT-WRITING-STICKER-STAINS-/141563643064?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20f5d9c4b8

Social source share

Not sure where you live my friend but on Doncaster market there are several stalls with lot's of these but problem is they usually contain 70's & 80's disco fever stuff. Try your local flea markets :)

Social source share

Careful though, if you leave your records in there too long, the plastic can affect your records

Is there any evidence of this ?

Does it affect vinyl and styrene ?

I have records kept in these sleeves for 30 years and all play fine.

I do take them out of the sleeves regularly.

To play them (because thats what they are for, right ) :thumbsup:

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Is there any evidence of this ?

Does it affect vinyl and styrene ?

I have records kept in these sleeves for 30 years and all play fine.

I do take them out of the sleeves regularly.

To play them (because thats what they are for, right ) :thumbsup:

Cheers Paul

Likewise. When I left school, my first job was in Boots the Chemist, which in those days had an audio section and sold those poly-lined sleeves. I've still got a fair few of them in use and have never seen any signs of deterioration visually or otherwise.  :thumbup: 

Social source share

Whilst on the subject, I,m sure i read some years back that the white card covers (my personal preference) slowly  emit chemicals used in the cardboard making process and these can damage records over time . as i have no conclusive proof that this is true i continue to use them as they have always seemed more aesthetically pleasing , almost like framing the disc.                                                                                                                                                                                                                   In the same article i think it praised the ever so slightly waxy  olive green record sleeves , thicker than paper but not stiff enough to be considered card, that used to be so  common in the states . Top of the pile as i recall were very fine quality paper inner sleeves ( to go inside the carboard ones) apparantly these are used a lot in Japan and can be purchased from there.    As for the ones you are looking for , only a man named tank top would go that route    ( only joking mate )

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

No, I made it up.

Actually I've lost count of the amount of records I've seen with damage from plastic sleeves, probably depends what sort of plastic it is.

Pete is absolutely right about this……I have seen many records over the years which develop a permanent stain on the vinyl due to either moisture or chemical reaction between different types of plastic/vinyl…..Luckily,I've never used them myself. 

Social source share

Whilst on the subject, I,m sure i read some years back that the white card covers (my personal preference) slowly  emit chemicals used in the cardboard making process and these can damage records over time . as i have no conclusive proof that this is true i continue to use them as they have always seemed more aesthetically pleasing , almost like framing the disc.                                                                                                                                                                                                                   In the same article i think it praised the ever so slightly waxy  olive green record sleeves , thicker than paper but not stiff enough to be considered card, that used to be so  common in the states . Top of the pile as i recall were very fine quality paper inner sleeves ( to go inside the carboard ones) apparantly these are used a lot in Japan and can be purchased from there.    As for the ones you are looking for , only a man named tank top would go that route    ( only joking mate )

I don't understand why you have to slag all over my user name mate, have you seen my profile picture, i'm a feckin' mental case, so beware...... hahaha ( only joking mate )

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

No, I made it up.

Actually I've lost count of the amount of records I've seen with damage from plastic sleeves, probably depends what sort of plastic it is.

The  esteemed "Record Collector" mag had a long and lengthy debate on the subject of vynil deterioration last year.General conclusions where; Vynil  records not designed to last an eternity, but the following could cause problems;packing records tightly and not playing them, heavy duty plastic covers caused a reaction; awhite milky discolouration and impaired reprodution and were the worst offenders ,polythene liners deemed not a substantial risk plain paper inners concluded to be the best option, this was not a scientific test and at no time were live baby vynils used in the survey!

Social source share

I don't understand why you have to slag all over my user name mate, have you seen my profile picture, i'm a feckin' mental case, so beware...... hahaha ( only joking mate )

Wasnt intended  with any malice at all Tank top , its just that those type of covers were around at the same time as tank tops , ie an early to mid seventies thing , if you were offended , i apologise.

Social source share

Wasnt intended  with any malice at all Tank top , its just that those type of covers were around at the same time as tank tops , ie an early to mid seventies thing , if you were offended , i apologise.

Just a bit o' banter between a couple of soulies, not offended at all mate, love a good laugh. Tanktop is my actual nickname from the late 70s, i was the only guy in my crew that could afford a real Fred Perry tanktop to go with my Ben Sherman's, name just stuck.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just a bit o' banter between a couple of soulies, not offended at all mate, love a good laugh. Tanktop is my actual nickname from the late 70s, i was the only guy in my crew that could afford a real Fred Perry tanktop to go with my Ben Sherman's, name just stuck.

Do you reckon you'll stay with the plain cardboard ones? every colour you can think of.... to match your labels :thumbsup:

Social source share

Do you reckon you'll stay with the plain cardboard ones? every colour you can think of.... to match your labels :thumbsup:

Yeah, think i'll just stick with what i've got & maybe start doodling on them again, if i can find the time. The only problem with the coloured sleeves, i don't know anyone who'll mix & match em, they all seem to sell them in the one colour in bulk. Any ideas ?

Social source share

Yeah, think i'll just stick with what i've got & maybe start doodling on them again, if i can find the time. The only problem with the coloured sleeves, i don't know anyone who'll mix & match em, they all seem to sell them in the one colour in bulk. Any ideas ?

What a dilemma. Stick with what you've got! :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Careful though, if you leave your records in there too long, the plastic can affect your records

Never ever did that to any of mine Pete.  The only thing someone said like that once was that because the 

record was inside the plastic inner sleeve that there was a chance the record could 'sweat' inside if you were taking 

records from a warm environment (indoors) out in the cold during the winter months and you were say Dj'ing or

a record dealer moving your stock about regularly. Of course if the record 'sweats' in the plastic liner you could get

damp on the labels, but this has never happened to me. :g:  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Never ever did that to any of mine Pete.  The only thing someone said like that once was that because the 

record was inside the plastic inner sleeve that there was a chance the record could 'sweat' inside if you were taking 

records from a warm environment (indoors) out in the cold during the winter months and you were say Dj'ing or

a record dealer moving your stock about regularly. Of course if the record 'sweats' in the plastic liner you could get

damp on the labels, but this has never happened to me. :g:  

Well you pays your money and takes your chances...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Pete is absolutely right about this……I have seen many records over the years which develop a permanent stain on the vinyl due to either moisture or chemical reaction between different types of plastic/vinyl…..Luckily,I've never used them myself. 

Over time you get a build up of static ( everyone has to have noticed this) and that can attract dust and grit! 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!