Drill Holes

Why?

Why do so many records have drill holes?

What was the purpose/function/logic behind it

Was it commonly done (on the grand scheme of things)

Was it just specific labels...was it done by the label or the distributor?

Never something I ever throught about, but I took a few records off the shelf today and out of a handful, i'd say a fair few had holes. 

Edited by TailorMade Gaz B
Social source share

Drilled through boxes depending upon the length of the drill bit, and often the bit was that hot that it melted the vinyl, causing a back up of vinyl on the last record as they removed the drill.

I think you are being serious mate, but i find your explanation so funny.... like a Laurel & Hardy sketch  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here comes a question that no doubt will later come back to haunt me... whats a 'cut-out record'  :unsure:

I've just learned that also, maybe a few others too

I knew why people did it for sleeves - but to do it to the record itself, you'd think that drilling a hole in it was a bit extreme. The paint seems more viable. 

I must admit, I didn't read the replies properly either. So I thought a 'cut out record' was a specific 'cut' of a record e.g. a 'cut' that was run off more cheaply by the distributers due to demand, and in tern, couldn't be retuned. 

Not realising that the 'cut out' was the same as the drill hole...dear me, haha!

Thank Fu

Edited by TailorMade Gaz B
Social source share

There's a story (can't remember which book I read it in) that a distributor bought a 

large amount of overstock from a label for 5 cents a record. The distributor then

took those 5 cent records and returned them to the label for full credit.

That's why labels had holes drilled, stamped N /R or put gold paint on the 

label- to identify the discounted records.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!