The Female Connoisseurs Of The Soul Scene

Guest Mrs M

It always amuses me reading threads on here which are always predominantly male orientated. What about the girls on the soul scene who are top of the game with knowledge and incredible collections? I'm not referring to the ladies who have graced the decks over the last decade but the ladies who were always one step ahead of many lads years ago.. There is always a topic of respect for the male dj/collectors amongst us so it's time to praise the girlies - don't you think?

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

I do think we should praise the girls , JumpinJoan, shes knowledgeable shes covered most of the top venues over the years she has good collections of records and she knows every bugger on the scene   :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Edited by Aaron Darcy
Social source share

Guest Baby earl

When it comes to female connoisseurs, Linda Couldstone (Nashee) has to be one of the most knowledgable people out there, whether it be soul,R&B or popcorn she really knows her stuff. She's DJ'd internationally, has an excellent collection and is one of the nicest, most unassuming people out there.

Social source share

I'm sure there are loads of "members of the fairer sex" out there with far more knowledge and much better collections than mine, I can think of half a dozen that I know with great records. They certainly do deserve equal respect to the men. However , I must admit that when I need to source a 45 or need to find something out about one I tend to use the services of John Manship, Tim Brown, Mark Dobson & Andy Dyson. All men, i'm afraid, and pretty much know everything between them. I'm pretty sure everyone else does too tbh, and this is probably the reason women don't appear to be on an equal footing. This is only MY humble opinion and unintended to cause any offence whatsoever.

Edited by greenlight
Social source share

For me, its Malayaka. 

Every opportunity to have her play/hear her play I try. 
There is a great vid on Youtube of her double-checking with Soul Sam and she's ahead of the game, in my opinion. 

Little link to a pretty old article now RE the Manchester euro soul weekender and the rationale there was to book woman first. Often the best sets of the weekender because they're not trying to out-do anyone, they just have their own very intuitive groove.
https://www.soul-source.co.uk/articles/news-soul/manchester-european-weekender-look-forward-26-27-may-2013-r2688

Edited by TailorMade Gaz B
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Back to my initial first post where I failed to mention the ladies who are to me are two of the most knowledgeable female collector/DJ's we have are Joan Livesey and Ali Nightingale. Knowledge right across the board with impeccable taste. Being a lifelong collector myself these two ladies will always command my respect as Premiere League leaders ahead of the game. xx

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

I've never seen her play because she lives on the other side of the world but seen her incredible playlists and listened to some fantastic podcasts ! How could I have forgot the incredible MISS GOLDIE !!

Social source share

One of my favourite ladies behind the decks has gotta be Jo Wallace - "Come on you lot!"

Mark C :thumbsup:

Jo was certainly a big influence on my musical tastes as a young lad. I used to frequent her record shop regularly and she introduced me to many great sounds. An excellent DJ too, with a great mike technique and bags of personality.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I've never seen her play because she lives on the other side of the world but seen her incredible playlists and listened to some fantastic podcasts ! How could I have forgot the incredible MISS GOLDIE !!

Got a CD from her a couple of years ago, as good as anything I can think of

Kev

Social source share

Was Val the first resident at all nighters? We've got Pat Bleasdale in March and Matt's been on about me having an all girls line-up but I can't get into my dresses any more. I also go for Soulful Cris and Maria Willingham there are some great Spanish girls too but I can't remember their names

Cristina Alonso is one, from the boiler club.

The thread reflects the male dominance of the scene and sound, but those ladies who are in the game are pretty good, eh!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Was Val the first resident at all nighters? We've got Pat Bleasdale in March and Matt's been on about me having an all girls line-up but I can't get into my dresses any more. I also go for Soulful Cris and Maria Willingham there are some great Spanish girls too but I can't remember their names

Well said Ady

Glad you pointed out Maria Willingham contribution, she plays awesome sets at Stateside soul club and introduces me to new tunes every time I attend.

I understand Maria Willingham's collection is second to none, brilliant behind the decks as well.

Atb

Stu

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 6 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!