gogger

World Cup Cricket

We were well beaten. I'm not convinced we've picked the best team.

been looking at some of those left at home , think they could beat these , some good players there now , just not eleven of them on the pitch at the same time

2 big dropped catches early on........in a nut shell  COME HOME NOW........

new zealand game , puts the pressure on them now  , they don't seem to handle the pressure well though  , 

Wont get any easier. NZ up next who are a very fine one day side.

We aren't going to win this thing (we should make the QF's at least) but you'd hope for better efforts than we served up today. Some of our cricket is truly brainless.

I watched Ireland V Windies yesterday as a nautral what a game, sums up what a cup game is all about IMO.

saw the highlights , not a bad score by the windies , but ireland made it look easy , well done.

When I look back at the Windies bowling attacks, when they had Holding, Marshall, Roberts, Garner, Clarke, et al, I wonder what happened. They blew all and sundry away with pace, they're now a shadow of their former selves, I suppose on the plus side they do have a lot of Usain Bolts coming through, but I'd love to see them get back to somewhere near their former glory. 

On England, I think on paper we actually look quite good, but Anderson and Broad are really test match bowlers, they want 'slippers' throughout to be really effective, economy wise they're very inconsistent. I've never been totally convinced by Morgan I'm afraid, his technique is very iffy at times, but he does play for Middlesex which gives any cricketer an unwarranted edge. 

Morgan doesn't have a clue.  To win the toss in the first match,a day night game and to elect to field was stupid and senseless and that has been England ever since.  I can stand losing but in the manner they lost cannot be accepted.  We seem to be getting worse and it comes from thw top rigt down.  I'm not a fan of Bopara but he played all the games leading up to this tournament, he was then dropped for the first game, why?  

I'd get rid of most of them, get a coach in who understands the modern game, especially limited overs cause Moores certainly doesn't. 

I would start with those who should be in Ali, Woakes, Stokes, Buttler, Ballance Root. So in those 6 players, you have 5 bowlers and 5 batsmen. 

Bell is a match winner if he stays in, so that's the job he has to be given. I'd also make him captain. Ideally we'd have 2 bowlers who can bowl at 90mph + so that they can actually intimidate batsmen, not allow someone like McCullum to make an 18 ball 50. Broad thinks he's quick, bowls half trackers, and then get's carted all around the ground, said this before, at best he's a test bowler, like Anderson, neither are good one day bowlers against decent batsmen. One of the bowlers who can reach 90+ mph is Finn, sort his action out, so he stops falling over or crashing into the stumps. I did have high hopes for Meacher and Tymal Mills, but both seem to get a few injurys, but worth giving one of them a go. I'd probably go with Mills as he's a left armer.

Alex Hales should get one of the batsman places left, just one batsman to go now, and for me it's Jason Roy. So my final team would be (if all were fit)

Roy

Ali

Bell

Hales

Ballance

Root

Stokes

Buttler

Woakes

Finn

Mills.

7 of that team are regular 6 hitters so potential matchwinners, 4 of them can build or rebuild an innings if there's a loss of early wickets, there are at least 3 spin options and 4 seam options 2 of which are 90mph + bowlers. 

I had high hopes for Ali, but when it comes down to it he seems to be struggling against decent opposition.  Has he been sussed, is he believing in the hype that was being made about him?

As Boycott said, none of them are as good as they think they are.

Edited by chalky

Morgan doesn't have a clue. To win the toss in the first match,a day night game and to elect to field was stupid and senseless and that has been England ever since. I can stand losing but in the manner they lost cannot be accepted. We seem to be getting worse and it comes from thw top rigt down. I'm not a fan of Bopara but he played all the games leading up to this tournament, he was then dropped for the first game, why?

I'd get rid of most of them, get a coach in who understands the modern game, especially limited overs cause Moores certainly doesn't.

We won the toss yesterday, elected to bat and the game was still over before dusk! It keeps Boycott in a job I suppose

We won the toss yesterday, elected to bat and the game was still over before dusk! It keeps Boycott in a job I suppose

I guess Morgan learnt something from the first game at least :lol:

I'd sooner listen to Boycs than watch this current shower.

they are not listening to you CHALKY....... :dash2:

In think they have the words of Boycott RINGING in their ears so won't hear a lot :lol:

I think they are their just for the holiday the way they played this morning.

Ed Smith on the radio this morning commented that we have been poor over the last 3 WC's at least and maybe there's a flaw in the way we approach one day cricket in England.

I think he's on to something here. It cannot just be the coach or captain. There is something fundamentally wrong in the way we prepare, select, coach and play this form of cricket.

Maybe we dont see it as quite as important or interesting as test cricket and that we dont take it as seriously as we might.

Now I believe test cricket is the pinnacle of the game but if we're going to participate in one day cricket we really should look to raise our standards in this form.

Ed Smith on the radio this morning commented that we have been poor over the last 3 WC's at least and maybe there's a flaw in the way we approach one day cricket in England.

I think he's on to something here. It cannot just be the coach or captain. There is something fundamentally wrong in the way we prepare, select, coach and play this form of cricket.

Maybe we dont see it as quite as important or interesting as test cricket and that we dont take it as seriously as we might.

Now I believe test cricket is the pinnacle of the game but if we're going to participate in one day cricket we really should look to raise our standards in this form.

We were approaching limited overs the same way we approach test cricket, two openers steadily building an innings.  We are years behind the others.  We also have this thing where once you are in the team you will never be dropped.  Cooke should have gone months before, everyone could see his tactics were n to up to the modern one day game, 20/20 or 50 overs.  Who ever thought Morgan was international class captain?

We are far too cautious, afraid to go for runs incase we lose our wicket but we don't seem good enough to protect or look after our wicket.  We continually gift wickets to the opposition with bad shot selection, a lack of patience, hitting balls, or attempting to hit balls any other team would leave.

And why do we continually have a collapse.  I'm tired of seeing us lose our last 6 wickets for 20 odd, 30 odd or 40 odd runs.  Thoughtless, brainless, stupidity.

We have this inbuilt arrogance that no matter what we are superior to others as we gave the world a sport or were one of the founders, we seem incapable or far too arrogant to learn from others, our way is best and we will prevail and come out of this if we just give so and so a little bit longer.

We are beginning to realise that 220/250 is no longer the score required when others are hitting 300 plus but by the time we eventually learn that what we are doing is a thing of the past other teams have moved on again.

I would have picked the South African (White was it?) or Moody as manager/coach, ex players with some idea of how the modern game should be approached, not county yes men.

But an improvement today, easy victory, 100 for Ali, half century for Bell. Let's just remember you can only beat the team in front of you  :thumbsup:

It was only what was expected to be honest Win.  Ali has to start knocking thise big scores out when it matters against the big boys.  Same for the rest, perform against the top sides not just the minnows.

Prior to this competition i fancied new Zealand theyve played some great cricket over last 12 months

Odi cricket is really t50 agree with a lot of points mentioned

7 players played in hig bash bresnan stokes pietersen lumb hales roy wright and freddie

6 of those players should be in englands squad and 1 should be captain

A team of :

hales ali stokes pietersen buttler wright root bopara tredwell broad anderson

Might gave given the good teams a game

Pick a world 11

dhawan finch ab de villiers mccullum warner kohli sangakarra afridi steyn herath starc

Loving the cricket

New zealand v aus in final

great knock from gayle , 16 sixes, he could end up with more sixes than england   :ohmy:

And they didn't even start till half way through......

Edited by chalky

I watched the match and have to say the zimbabwe bowling was shocking akin to haq for scotland any decent side would punish it

England could easily have made 370 against that poor side

Gayle had it set up for him and punished them

Great to watch though

The windies will rely on gayle smith samuels sammy ramdin to get the runs because their bowling like englands is poor which is why they wont get past the q/finals i think

The game to watch is sunday aus v nz

root batted very well for his 121...bell decent innings49.....butler 39 off 27....morgan and woakes not scoring quick enough...we hit 5 - 6s ...BALANCE ...pack your bags  and come home.....reckon sri lanka will knock them off for 35-38 overs 

Watching every game in this comp and many games prior it was obvious england would struggle

Wrong coaching

Wrong captain

Wrong squad

No variety in the bowling

Lack of obvious pinchitters

Best 7 players olaying in the aus big bash ignored

Tip tap test match cricket taking few risks wont win you games

Most quality sides can do 350 plus we cant

Bangladesh could beat england and it would be no surprise

Time for ecb staff to be sacked

New coach and captain needed for odi/t20 cricket

Franchise t20 comp like big bash needed as this is the future

The 50 over format now is essentially t50 cricket

Pietersen has to come back as captain

Buttler has to open innings in one day cricket

My team:

Buttler hales ali stokes pietersen root wright bopara jordan tredwell rashid

Pietersen has to come back as captain

He didn't do very well as captain of England before nor as captain of the Delhi Daredevils in the last IPL so I can't see him doing any better.

I think Buttler is in the right place - he's a finisher not an opener.

The trouble with England is that they're stuck in the 20th century (or possibly earlier!!!). The other teams have moved on they haven't.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't get past Bangladesh OR Afghanistan.

Pietersen had to deal with prima donnas a coach who was a bully

The australians know good kp is

The youngsters would respect kp

Buttler is devastating he needs to be up the order like gilchrist was for the aussies and take the game to the opposition

We have noone else yet to do this maybe roy or stokes in time or use big bash winner michael carberry too

Better tjan what we have now

Pieterson as said by the incoming ECB Chairman needs to get a county and score runs.  If he does that they can't ignore him.  He can still be a devastating player on his day, capable of quick runs and wining a game single handedly. 

Can't argue with the fact that Pieterson is a great player but a good captain? Don't think he's proved that.

He is too old for me to be made captain.  If he gets a county he should simply concentrate on batting and scoring runs, he doesn't need the distractions of captaincy if he makes the England team again.

I'd like to see them select a captain for the long term and I just think if Pieterson is to perform anything like we know he can then he needs few distractions.  But he has to get back to county cricket, get runs and give the selectors a headache.

It goes without saying sadly the world cup has passed them by and his input was so desperately needed the ecb have cheated us of having any chance

The call for pietersen is for the one day game whether t20/t50 as far as im concerned to entertain us

I dont believe he should be capt of test side but certainly if he wants test cricket he needs practice in the weak county circuit

The domestic t20 comp needs him

The test side will be white washed by australia because our bowling wont be good enough

You can pick certain batsmen but our bowlers lack quality and its that problem that needs addressing

No spinners of real quality

No left arm quick

Noone able to hit 150 clicks

Too many same bowlers

Too much reliance on anderson

Cricket crowds will be poor because of this

Depressing......

Buttler is devastating he needs to be up the order like gilchrist was for the aussies and take the game to the opposition

We have noone else yet to do this maybe roy or stokes in time or use big bash winner michael carberry too

It's Pietersen who is the prima donna. I have it on very good authority that when he was injured a few years ago on the tour of India and had to return home the rest of the squad held a party of thanksgiving!! He's known as FIGJAM ( fuck I'm good, just ask me) to the rest of the cricketing world! :yes:

As I recall, Gilchrist only moved up the order once he was established, Buttler (and I really do rate him) has made one one day ton, so it's too soon. Maybe make the batting order more flexible, so that he can come in anywhere from 4 to 7 dependent on the state of the game. Agree we currently have the wrong coach, and the wrong captain, I said before the world cup it was the wrong time to replace Cook, and so far the change has proved a disaster. Also agree on Stokes and Roy, both very good hitters with reasonably sound techniques, they'd potentially make a great deal of difference. Totally disagree on Pietersen, as good a batsman as he was, he didn't play for the team, he played to further his own fame and fortune, have you ever seen a batsman of his quality get out so many times with so many stupid crowd pleasing shots. If he was to comeback, he'd completely unsettle the team IMO. Time for Broad and Anderson to step down as well, neither has enough control on a flat deck. 

Too old?

Dilshan 35

Sangakarra 37

Too old for sri lanka?

Too good for england more like

Chris gayle 35

Shahid afridi 34

Brendon mccullum 33

Kevin pietersen 34

How many of the players you've mentioned captain their country?

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.