Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Steve Lane

School - 1950S V 2015

Johnny and Mark get into a fight after school. 

1950s - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends. 

2014 - Police  are called, and they arrest Johnny and Mark & charge them with assault.
Both expelled even though Johnny started it.
Both children go to anger management programmes for 3 months.
School governors hold meeting to implement bullying prevention

programmes.

Robbie won't sit still in class, disrupts other students. 

1950s - Robbie sent to the office and given six of the best by the Principal.
Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again. 

2014 - Robbie given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADHD — result deemed to be positive. Robbie's parents get fortnightly disability payments and school gets extra funding from government because Robbie has a disability.

Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt. 

1950s - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman. 

2014 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care; joins a gang; ends up in jail.

Mark gets a headache and takes some Aspirin to school. 

1950s - Mark gets glass of water from Principal to take aspirin with, Passes exams & becomes a solicitor.

2014 - Police called, car searched for drugs and weapons.
Mark expelled from school for drug taking. Ends up as a drop out.

Johnny takes apart leftover fireworks from Guy Fawkes night, puts them in a paint tin & blows up a wasp's nest. 

1950s - Wasps die. 

2014- Police & Anti-Terrorism Squad called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, investigate parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated.
Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly in an aeroplane again.

Johnny falls over while playing football during morning break and scrapes his knee.
He is found crying by his teacher, Mary.  She hugs him to comfort him. 

1950s - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing football. No damage done.

2014 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in prison.
Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy and ends up gay.

Doesn`t time fly!!

Edited by Steve Lane

Yes I do kind of "get it". My parents treated the school headmaster like a demi-God, if he said jump mum & dad asked how high. Nowadays there's screeching of BMW tyres and a bevy of solicitors. When I was about 12-ish me and my mates used to play on the railway lines, putting pennies on the tracks and once even a small Christmas tree, we were never worried about trains coming, they all steam, you heard them coming from miles off. Shudder to think now about on the railway lines. Football on the green, wooden go-kart (in London called a trolley) cub, scouts, hoping on the Underground and going out to places like Barking, Chigwell & Cockfosters.  :D  Thems was the days............ :thumbsup:

Matt

You accused me of the "rose tinted" spectacles thing on another thread. So you have obviously got some major hang-up about that era. Just for balance I was born in 1952 so I experienced the 1950s in real time. And when I read the first post and Chris's post above that is exactly how I remember things through the 1950s and at least the first half of the 60s. 

For a lot of kids it was a "golden age".

Were you around in the 50s and had a bad time of it?

If so I'm sorry - but I didn't.

Johnny falls over while playing football during morning break and scrapes his knee.

He is found crying by his teacher, Mary.  She hugs him to comfort him. 

1950s - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing football. No damage done.

Scabby knees was a "rite of passage" back then wasn't it. Not just the boys - half the girls too. :D

Edited by MBarrett

This is right on the mark for the difference between the 1950s and now in Canada and USA, (although the magnitude of the differences and the bad impacts of the differences are much more exaggerated in USA).  But, yes, it's a general problem in "Western Societies".  It's a lot less "evolved" in The Netherlands, but seems to be moving slowly in that direction.  And in USA, the fights now end up in death from firearms, where in the '50s, it ended in fistfights, bloody noses and the participants getting home on their own.

Playing football in mid-winter on pitches that had "Broken Bottles" of ice sticking up in the 6 yard box  :yes:

When the footies had laces that would gash you and you would struggle to take a corner and actually get it in the box  :yes:  :thumbsup:

Playing football in mid-winter on pitches that had "Broken Bottles" of ice sticking up in the 6 yard box :yes:

We left playing football for the puffs. You should have tried playing rugby league on frozen pitches

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul

I don't even think you have to go back as far as the 50s.  In about 1983, I got given detention after school for writing on the walls in the toilets -- and when my parents found out, I got punished again at home too.  Now you get parents having a go at the school for daring to punish their child...

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts