Soul From Lebanon

I was looking at a Lebanese issue of Bobby Moore and The Rhythm Aces 'Hey Mr DJ' last night and was reminded that a few soul records were released in Lebanon in the late '60s. This may have been discussed on a previous thread but I can't find it via search. Is there a discography of Lebanese releases or any others that spring to mind?

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I was looking at a Lebanese issue of Bobby Moore and The Rhythm Aces 'Hey Mr DJ' last night and was reminded that a few soul records were released in Lebanon in the late '60s. This may have been discussed on a previous thread but I can't find it via search. Is there a discography of Lebanese releases or any others that spring to mind?

I've got quite a few Lebanese-pressed soul 45s. Here, from memory, are a few I know are up in the attic somewhere:

I SURRENDER - EDDIE HOLMAN (ABC)

HARLEM SHUFFLE - BOB & EARL (Blue ISLAND)

THE HAPPY SONG - OTIS REDDING (Maroon STAX)

SHAFT - ISAAC HAYES (on yellow & green vinyl)

SUPERFLY - CURTIS MAYFIELD (multicoloured vinyl)

I CAN'T HELP MYSELF - DONNIE ELBERT (white SLD promo)

THE CHAMP - THE MOHAWKS (SLD)

...and I know they're not Soul, but I also have Tony Christie's "Is This The Way To Amarillo" on multicoloured Lebanese MCA and Derrick Morgan's "Hel Girl, Hey Boy" on Lebanese SLD!

There was a good guy, Walid Itayim, who used to sell mostly Lebanese pressings on eBay - although I fear that the recent troubles may have put paid to that. He told me that local production of 45s ceased around 1975, when Lebanon had a previous war.

TONE :D

Social source share

Spooky.....

I was thinking about my Lebanese copy of Tammi Terrell's "This Old Heart Of Mine" only yesterday (when Tony mentioned Indian Stateside on another post) and was wondering how many other things were released out there.

It looks the proper job, similar to a Black / Silver UK TMG.

Always wondered how and why they put it out over there and yet the UK failed to.

Would be very interested to know of any other Lebanese Motown 45's.

Thanks Stuart (and Tony).

:)

Sean

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Spooky.....

I was thinking about my Lebanese copy of Tammi Terrell's "This Old Heart Of Mine" only yesterday (when Tony mentioned Indian Stateside on another post) and was wondering how many other things were released out there.

It looks the proper job, similar to a Black / Silver UK TMG.

Always wondered how and why they put it out over there and yet the UK failed to.

Would be very interested to know of any other Lebanese Motown 45's.

Thanks Stuart (and Tony).

Sean

Just dug one out between posting that and reading this! I have a white label Leb Tamla Motown promo of the Temptations' "I Can't Get Next To You"/"Running Away (Ain't Gonna Help You)" and, now I think about it, the attic might contain a similar copy of "Psychedelic Shack"/"Hum Along And Dance"...

Social source share

Just dug one out between posting that and reading this! I have a white label Leb Tamla Motown promo of the Temptations' "I Can't Get Next To You"/"Running Away (Ain't Gonna Help You)" and, now I think about it, the attic might contain a similar copy of "Psychedelic Shack"/"Hum Along And Dance"...

Wicked!

Always loved both sides of "I Can't Get Next To You".

"Running Away" is vastly underrated.

Any more for any more?

Sean

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Surprised there isn't a lebanese issue of Nabay "believe it or not" :) Wasn't it widly rumoured that he WAS Lebanese :D

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!