Oldest Swinger In Town

• Replies 52
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

My brother in law still goes to a few soul nights, has a dance, and enjoys himself. He is 54.

I am sure he is not the oldest, anyone going for the title??

Ed :D

Even though I'm no spring chicken myself, surely this title's already won hands down by S. Sam?

TONE :D

Social source share

My brother in law still goes to a few soul nights, has a dance, and enjoys himself. He is 54.

Ed :D

Soul-Sam is at least a thousand years old,and they tell me he DJs aswell,can anybody confirm :D

Edited by ken
Social source share

I have a very good friend called Ian from Blackpool (although he works in Manchester and lives there in the week). I'm not quite sure how old is he, I would say middle/late fifties and he's out every weekend and on the floor for a lot of the night. He goes to many of the weekenders too :)

Social source share

I have a very good friend called Ian from Blackpool (although he works in Manchester and lives there in the week). I'm not quite sure how old is he, I would say middle/late fifties and he's out every weekend and on the floor for a lot of the night. He goes to many of the weekenders too :D

Ian that works in Denton - he must be well into his 60's by now. Once upon a time I did know his exact age (close to 30 years older than me!) :)

Then theres Dave Box whos 60

Ian Clark and Mick Smith must be nearing there 60th

Anyone that I've said "blimey you're old enough to me my Mum or Dad too" :D

It would be easier to play the who isn't 40 yet game :D

Social source share

Wow, you sure?

Did a 'how old are you' poll on here last year. Was a few 60 plus'ers.

For consistency from early seventies to date, gotta be up there 53 year old billywhizz for my money at least. Man's end of a leg.

Social source share

SteveM is 61 next

Shane

Other local ages

John Vincent Sixty

Wicksy Fotty sevunn

Mark Etheridge " Forty " " six "

Cunnie Ninety two

Pikeys Fifty nine (not dog years)

Copy208 Sixty six

Shane Thirteen

Brett Five

Edited by SteveM
Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Other local ages

John Vincent Sixty

Wicksy Fotty sevunn

Cunnie Ninety two

Copy208 Sixty six

Shane Thirteen

Brett Five

john vincent won the Tour de France in 1938 apparently. this was also the year the race took place in spain instead of france. :thumbsup:

on a serious note i am not sure many will own up on this thread. what about ronnie from bradford? i remember him telling me years ago his age and that seemed top heavy back then

Shane

Social source share

Guest soul kitten

Interesting one this certainly got us thinking!

Reckon around York Chris Holmes holds the title unless trevski can think of anyone older :thumbsup:

can think of a few in 50 s Ron Pedley ,Kenny Wallis and Mick Burnett got to add me to the list next year. :D

anybody know who old Richard Sterling is or Keith Minshull reckon they could be in the top 10

indeed Ginger s looking silver nowa days :yes:

Social source share

Other local ages

John Vincent Sixty

Wicksy Fotty sevunn

Cunnie Ninety two

Copy208 Sixty six

Shane Thirteen

Brett Five

Your'e a dead man walking Mannion ya hear, a dead man walking :thumbsup:

If Pikeys Dog is 59 i guess that makes him the oldest Springer in town......

Social source share

Your'e a dead man walking Mannion ya hear, a dead man walking :thumbsup:

If Pikeys Dog is 59 i guess that makes him the oldest Springer in town......

nothing compared to afriend of mine ps ... he promotes an allnighter in burnley.....hes almost sixty two but still going strong .. :yes:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

It's sad to relate, but equally obvious, that almost everybody who went to the Mecca or the Torch (or their local equivalent) in their early days - even those who lied about their age to get in, like I had to for a while - are now edging closer to the year of the bus pass. I was one of the youngest in my crowd in 1970/1, and my 50th's well over and done with, I'm afraid. (I'm the same age as Ian Levine, actually...)

...Happy to relate, though, that me and all my (slightly older) close mates from that time (Terry Davis, Tony Ellis, John Clark et al) all still go out to do's, and we all still dance, as do many others that I knew then and still know now...!

TONE :thumbsup:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

SOMEONE HAD THEIR 60TH AT ONE OF THE EARLY PLINSTON NIGHTS, SO MUST BE ABOUT 63 NOW.THINK SAM STILL WINS IT THOUGH.

tony clayton, the vicar, dances and djs at soul ole, peterborough at 72 years of age. 'nuff said :yes:

Social source share

It's sad to relate, but equally obvious, that almost everybody who went to the Mecca or the Torch (or their local equivalent) in their early days - even those who lied about their age to get in, like I had to for a while - are now edging closer to the year of the bus pass. I was one of the youngest in my crowd in 1970/1, and my 50th's well over and done with, I'm afraid. (I'm the same age as Ian Levine, actually...)

...Happy to relate, though, that me and all my (slightly older) close mates from that time (Terry Davis, Tony Ellis, John Clark et al) all still go out to do's, and we all still dance, as do many others that I knew then and still know now...!

TONE :yes:

Yes Tony sad but true, I started in 1966 1st soul club I went to was the Dungean (Nottingham) in 1966 when I was 16 (work my age from that) but still going but not quite as strong these days, but I still like to have to dance - the music never leaves you.

Now co-run two soul venues , Pilsley and Barrowby I Must be mad

Barry Cooper

Social source share

I'm 41 which is probably at the youngest end of the original scale. I was 13/14 when I heard and fell in love with northern soul.

However, for the non-original, my Daughter loves it and is 11 :yes:

You'll all meet her at Prestatyn next March - She'll be 12 then!

Edited by ♫ Soulgirl ♫
Social source share

Guest bertie97

Ian that works in Denton - he must be well into his 60's by now. Once upon a time I did know his exact age (close to 30 years older than me!) :D

Then theres Dave Box whos 60

Anyone that I've said "blimey you're old enough to me my Mum or Dad too" :D

It would be easier to play the who isn't 40 yet game :yes:

I'm from Denton also.Not seen Ian for a while,always dancing,top man

Social source share

Hi Tony .....

Same age as IL are you ? There the similarity ends ...... you have a sense of humour .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Tony,

You printed exactly what I was going to say.

Average age of the Burnley crew from 68 to 77 must be 50, with loads at 55 ish, the old Wheel crew.

I am Mecca and Torch vintage. There were loads of people older than me on the scene then, particularly when Wigan first opened and the Mecca was at its peak.

It was be seen and not heard!

Social source share

Guest Dodger

I have a very good friend called Ian from Blackpool (although he works in Manchester and lives there in the week). I'm not quite sure how old is he, I would say middle/late fifties and he's out every weekend and on the floor for a lot of the night. He goes to many of the weekenders too :yes:

A cracking bloke is our mate Ian, as nice a guy as you'll meet. :D

Roger

Social source share

Yes Tony sad but true, I started in 1966 1st soul club I went to was the Dungean (Nottingham) in 1966 when I was 16 (work my age from that) but still going but not quite as strong these days, but I still like to have to dance - the music never leaves you.

Barry Cooper

And ya dont look a day over 40..........More or less whistling.gif:thumbsup::)

Bazza

Social source share

Soul-Sam is at least a thousand years old,and they tell me he DJs aswell,can anybody confirm whistling.gif

It's always good to hear Sam tell's stories of the 'good old days'. He claims here played a few tunes to welcome Norman when he first arrived in this counrty, Dropped out of the scene during the Elizabethian period, too many oldies getting played, but love all the innovation and newies of the Victorians. The Wise Old Sage of the scene

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Barry Cooper

1950 was a good year but 1948 was better

dendog

Social source share

You sure on that Kirsty ? Woulda thought Ian was early 50s ? Only a few years maybe but at this sort of age every year is vital biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

You sure on that Kirsty ? Woulda thought Ian was early 50s ? Only a few years maybe but at this sort of age every year is vital thumbsup.gif

Yes, Dave, I'm sure that Ian's younger than me (if only by a matter of a year) - possibly 52, 53 at most.. He wasn't part of the crowd I knew that went to the Mecca or Torch, in fact I'm pretty sure that he never did go there during the early 70s, and most of the people he was friendly with in the Yate era, like Paul Corcoran, haven't long turned 50 themsleves...

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

1950 was a good year but 1948 was better

dendog

Try 1949 Denis Birthday next Monday, so your that bit older uh, wait till I see you next time for some leg pullin' in the meantime come to think of it don't see you dancin' much these days.

Barry

Social source share

Try 1949 Denis Birthday next Monday, so your that bit older uh, wait till I see you next time for some leg pullin' in the meantime come to think of it don't see you dancin' much these days.

Barry

Barry

Happy birth day pal limited to very little dancin two steal plate and a rod on the spine but sometimes i shake a leg or two

dendog

Edited by Dendog
Social source share

Barry

Can you imagine what your Chris said when I told him you were born in 1950!! :ohmy: Anyway he's not far behind 53 this december. I'm quite a youngster I reckon at 48 :thumbsup:

Edited by mcFly
Social source share

You sure on that Kirsty ? Woulda thought Ian was early 50s ? Only a few years maybe but at this sort of age every year is vital :lol:

pretty sure that Micks a similar age to my Mum (56), and can't remember about Ian - he just used to look after me in a paternal type of way, which is why I figured he must be ancient :thumbsup::ohmy:

Social source share

pretty sure that Micks a similar age to my Mum (56), and can't remember about Ian - he just used to look after me in a paternal type of way, which is why I figured he must be ancient :D:(

:ohmy::lol::lol: Hey steady on ya young whippersnapper :thumbsup:

Social source share

I'm 41 which is probably at the youngest end of the original scale. I was 13/14 when I heard and fell in love with northern soul.

However, for the non-original, my Daughter loves it and is 11 :thumbsup:

You'll all meet her at Prestatyn next March - She'll be 12 then!

Oooh I'm sure she will love it as much as Naim does, he's counting down as i'm typing!!!! Del x

Social source share

Ed :thumbsup:

There's a guy called Tom who goes to The Twisted Wheel, The Oakfield, Stockport Masonic and others in the NW on a very regular basis.

Don't know him well but spoken a few times. Nice bloke and dances for hours!! Wears colourful waistcoats.

I think he is in his 70's.

Anyone who knows him better able to confirm this?

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Last years NS National here in Sydney I met a lovely lady called Rita, she 's in her late 60's and came with her daughter. Its a 3 day event and everytime you looked around, there she was on the dancefloor, in fact she out lasted many half her age in the dancing stakes.

Thought it was fantastic and I hope thats me in 20 years!

Samantha

Social source share

Last years NS National here in Sydney I met a lovely lady called Rita, she 's in her late 60's and came with her daughter. Its a 3 day event and everytime you looked around, there she was on the dancefloor, in fact she out lasted many half her age in the dancing stakes.

Thought it was fantastic and I hope thats me in 20 years!

Samantha

She was in NJ in April. Looked like she was having a great time! And why not? whistling.gif

It's an "old" saying but there's a lot of sensible "old" sayings "You're as old as yer feel!"

Therefore Styrene 45 and I are both 21 and looking forward to our parties!

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Barry

Happy birthday Barry..get ya a coco..next time I see ya whistling.gif

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Is 50 years of age considered OLD or AVERAGE on the soul scene?

...Judging by the usual line up of codgers and codgerettes at most dances I've been to in the last couple of years, I'd say it's considered positively juvenile!

TONE :shades:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!