Where Are All The Bootlegs/reissues Coming From

Royalpunkness

No. Every record ever recorded was generally made to sell. Even Eddie Parker and the Mello Souls. What makes 'em pop records is when they became popular enough to make the charts and enough people bought 'em.

Ian D  :D

Not really right though is it? Records all might have been made to sell, but some were made to sell to a minority or niche audience, so had artistic integrity. And like all art forms, some was made because the artist wanted to make it, then hoped or found it could be sold, some was made purely for the purpose of selling, some was a combination of both motivations. To claim that everything ever done was done for commercial reasons is wrong and a depressing product of capitalist indoctrination.

music pre dated its commercial exploitation.

Social source share

dont know about killing of scenes but can someone kill this thread before the forum implodes at the thought of yet another lengthy load of bull about a subject thats done to death. 

thread was about who is making these bootlegs and since we now know etc etc

yeah ok, so now we know who's making them, well, one of them... sort of... lets wrap it up and continue to let them get on with it.

Social source share

Not really right though is it? Records all might have been made to sell, but some were made to sell to a minority or niche audience, so had artistic integrity. 

So, just to be sure, you're saying that everyone who makes a record to sell to a minority or niche audience has artistic integrity?  :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So, just to be sure, you're saying that everyone who makes a record to sell to a minority or niche audience has artistic integrity?  :g:

I collect UK Psyche records from the sixties.Most of the A sides are an attempt at a pop chart hit....you can almost smell the cigar smoke of the wanna be Andrew Loog Oldham manager....come on boys you can have a hit like The Tremeloes......the whiff of cigar smoke subsides as the manager leaves after bagging his hit and the band really rock out and put down what they really want to do on the throwaway b side.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I collect UK Psyche records from the sixties.Most of the A sides are an attempt at a pop chart hit....you can almost smell the cigar smoke of the wanna be Andrew Loog Oldham manager....come on boys you can have a hit like The Tremeloes......the whiff of cigar smoke subsides as the manager leaves after bagging his hit and the band really rock out and put down what they really want to do on the throwaway b side.

I liked the 'A' sides better than the 'B' sides generally though. But I do love a hit rekid........ :thumbsup:

Social source share

. There needs to be yet another documentary or film but this time emphasising the lengths the likes of a John Anderson and others went to, to bring back records from the states. Being chased out of Detroit, why the DJs had to cover up so many records, how it's traditionally an original vinyl scene. 

Someone make this a reality!  So many documentaries and films about the scene, the fashions etc but we need a definitive documentary about the hunt that went on for the records.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

dont know about killing of scenes but can someone kill this thread before the forum implodes at the thought of yet another lengthy load of bull about a subject thats done to death. 

thread was about who is making these bootlegs and since we now know etc etc 

Hi, Can you please confirm what you 'know' ?

Thanks.

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Well, from a dancers perspective I never dance in 'boots'...or even 'Boots', but maybe to the odd boot here or there. Not that I would know the difference of course. And when I hand my legal tender over as admission at soul events, I would expect legal pressings to be played, no matter whether original releases from back in the day, or tracks given a new lease of life though record labels negotiating deals for the owner of the works etc. If mastered well and pressed on good quality vinyl and as Stephen says, played on a good sound system with high fidelity...I won't be complaining, especially if they play Spyder Turners 'Tell me' after all the bother I went to in Detroit getting it pressed up! I guess if it is rare, cost a bob or two, big respect to those who have invested in that scenario to make my dancing feel more special...as long as they let me know over the mic, I will respond. 

Social source share

Hi

I read that someone posted that you are involved with r&b  re-issues 

is that right ?

So that is what you know then, that someone else posted that I am involved with R&B re-issues?

Whilst that is true I that I am involved with 50's and some 60's R'n'B 45's I would also confirm that I am not involved with

'Northern' re-issues. The suggestion on this thread seems to be that I am doing something wrong, why is that exactly?

Social source share

So that is what you know then, that someone else posted that I am involved with R&B re-issues?

Whilst that is true I that I am involved with 50's and some 60's R'n'B 45's I would also confirm that I am not involved with

'Northern' re-issues. The suggestion on this thread seems to be that I am doing something wrong, why is that exactly?

If people are going to complain about the R & B 45's, then the same people should complain about all the Motown, Elvis, various record label compilations that come out every week - all out of copyright in the UK so I guess anyone can release them.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

There's a bloke blatantly advertising them on Facebook, even put a spambot ad on our page...for about 3 seconds. Steve something from Leicester. Ad implied that he made them. The r&b ones are made by Jessie Birdsall who posts on here as Stompin Sevens. There's so many now that I think it's time to stop pussyfooting around the issue. Make it unacceptable to make them, sell them and especially play them in clubs.

Hi, I see my name being dragged through the mud here, can you please explain why?

I would like to know just what I am being accused of as I am not aware that I've done anything wrong.

Thanks.

Social source share

Unless you have the correct permission in place, in which case it would be legal to press reproduction 45's that are from '63 onwards.

Yes, that's licensing. Though if the license holder didn't own the logos and label design you couldn't do that; eg if a production company or artist had licensed their music to another company's label you wouldn't be able to put it out on that label unless further permission was granted from the original label owners or whoever they passed the rights on to.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yes, that's licensing. Though if the license holder didn't own the logos and label design you couldn't do that; eg if a production company or artist had licensed their music to another company's label you wouldn't be able to put it out on that label unless further permission was granted from the original label owners or whoever they passed the rights on to.

Can you get multiple licenses issued? I mean can more than one company issue re-releases of a certain track?

Social source share

Agreed, but that is also assuming that the labels/ label owners that actually issued the 45's in the first place had the worldwide rights to the label designs that they originally used. I am not sure how many small labels bothered with copyright on label design back in the 50's.

Social source share

Hi, I see my name being dragged through the mud here, can you please explain why?

I would like to know just what I am being accused of as I am not aware that I've done anything wrong.

Thanks.

'Dragged through the mud' ? I just said that you made the r&b boots, and you do.

so what you're 'being accused of' is making the r&b boots, which you do. Nothing more or less.

With regards to whether youre doing right and wrong: that's meaningless to me really, as I'm not an arbiter of any objective standard or law, only my own; and to me its wrong; and here's why:

1. The primary aspect of your product - the music - isnt yours to sell.

2. The end product is so pointless its mind boggling. The only value to a collectable is in its intrinsic qualities that make it a collectable. So I dont understand how a fake collectable is even a logical actuality. Just more mindless tat using up the world's resources.

So that's my explanation - some fact and some opinion

• Helpful 2
Social source share

'Dragged through the mud' ? I just said that you made the r&b boots, and you do.

so what you're 'being accused of' is making the r&b boots, which you do. Nothing more or less.

With regards to whether youre doing right and wrong: that's meaningless to me really, as I'm not an arbiter of any objective standard or law, only my own; and to me its wrong; and here's why:

1. The primary aspect of your product - the music - isnt yours to sell.

2. The end product is so pointless its mind boggling. The only value to a collectable is in its intrinsic qualities that make it a collectable. So I dont understand how a fake collectable is even a logical actuality. Just more mindless tat using up the world's resources.

So that's my explanation - some fact and some opinion

Hi Pow Wow Mik, The records I issue you refer to as 'boots' are in fact legal re-issues. Nothing more, nothing less.

The music if more than 50 years old and pre 63' is anyone's to 'sell' with impunity as in this country that is the law, if you have a problem with that I suggest you write to your MP.

The music I press that is post '63 is always cleared before pressing commences.

One should sometimes be careful who you accuse and of what.

I feel I better just say a few things up as I seem to be taking the rap for others and having my name dragged through the mud. I re-issue predominantly 50's R'n'B 45's on 'reproduction' labels. I always pay the MCPS royalties (you can check with the MCPS). Where possible I will also pay the artist (or estate thereof) a fee which is agreed by both sides before pressing commences. I stand by all my issues as the copyright law for music in the EU stands at 50 years for pre '63. This the law, if you disagree with it then I suggest you write to your MP. I am not the Guy who presses the Northern stuff, I am also not the Guy who masterminded the 60's Psyche stuff. I have done a few titles which cross in to the Northern scene (Charles Sheffield broke on the 50's R'n'B scene long before being a hit on the Northern scene — latecomers!).

I am a 50's R'n'B collector and enthusiast at heart, as anyone on this forum who actually knows me will confirm.

I got into records by buying 'boots' back in the 70's when I was a kid which due to availability and lack of pocket money at 14 years old was the only way I could hear the music I craved, I then progressed to searching for these same (and other) records on original pressings. 

If you like and can afford originals then you’re very lucky and that's great. If you can't but still enjoy the simple process of spinning a few 45's then the repro's and re-issues are the obvious next best thing. The fact that a 45 has been re-issued does not make the original copies any less original, it just means that others who can't afford the original copies can also enjoy playing them. Yes, I make a few quid for my efforts but people who think it's easy and that there are thousands to be made should try it for themselves.

If you don’t like people playing re-issues ‘out’ then don’t go to those clubs where that happens but I don’t understand the need for criticism of people who play re-issues, it’s entirely up to the DJ that has been hired what he or she should play.

By the same token, if you feel that the OVO is the way for you I do not see the need for people to criticize this approach. At the end of the day it’s a personal decision and we are all different and as such, should respect each others idea’s and opinions.

I would just also add that your posts in general seem to be very angry, resentful and confrontational. Times and cultures change, scenes move on and we have choices. Some will make you happy and some will not, that choice is yours.

Edited by Stompingsevens
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Pow Wow Mik, The records I issue you refer to as 'boots' are in fact legal re-issues. Nothing more, nothing less.

The music if more than 50 years old and pre 63' is anyone's to 'sell' with impunity as in this country that is the law, if you have a problem with that I suggest you write to your MP.

The music I press that is post '63 is always cleared before pressing commences.

One should sometimes be careful who you accuse and of what.

I feel I better just say a few things up as I seem to be taking the rap for others and having my name dragged through the mud. I re-issue predominantly 50's R'n'B 45's on 'reproduction' labels. I always pay the MCPS royalties (you can check with the MCPS). Where possible I will also pay the artist (or estate thereof) a fee which is agreed by both sides before pressing commences. I stand by all my issues as the copyright law for music in the EU stands at 50 years for pre '63. This the law, if you disagree with it then I suggest you write to your MP. I am not the Guy who presses the Northern stuff, I am also not the Guy who masterminded the 60's Psyche stuff. I have done a few titles which cross in to the Northern scene (Charles Sheffield broke on the 50's R'n'B scene long before being a hit on the Northern scene — latecomers!).

I am a 50's R'n'B collector and enthusiast at heart, as anyone on this forum who actually knows me will confirm.

I got into records by buying 'boots' back in the 70's when I was a kid which due to availability and lack of pocket money at 14 years old was the only way I could hear the music I craved, I then progressed to searching for these same (and other) records on original pressings. 

If you like and can afford originals then you’re very lucky and that's great. If you can't but still enjoy the simple process of spinning a few 45's then the repro's and re-issues are the obvious next best thing. The fact that a 45 has been re-issued does not make the original copies any less original, it just means that others who can't afford the original copies can also enjoy playing them. Yes, I make a few quid for my efforts but people who think it's easy and that there are thousands to be made should try it for themselves.

If you don’t like people playing re-issues ‘out’ then don’t go to those clubs where that happens but I don’t understand the need for criticism of people who play re-issues, it’s entirely up to the DJ that has been hired what he or she should play.

By the same token, if you feel that the OVO is the way for you I do not see the need for people to criticize this approach. At the end of the day it’s a personal decision and we are all different and as such, should respect each others idea’s and opinions.

I would just also add that your posts in general seem to be very angry, resentful and confrontational. Times and cultures change, scenes move on and we have choices. Some will make you happy and some will not, that choice is yours.

Agree with more or less everything you say but is Shirley Lawson one of those titles, that's out and out Northern.

Social source share

Why should I be careful of who I accuse and of what? What will happen?

And, for the record, I accused you of making r&b boots, and you do!

Anyhoo, generally, you're missing the point. I couldn't give a f*ck about the law; i'm not a policeman and we're not in court. If I object to something, then that is never an objection on legal grounds.

If the law decides that after some arbitrary period, someone else's work is anyone's to sell then so be it. But that still doesn't make it anyone's to sell.

But that's not the point either. Even if you paid Young Jessie, for example, ALL the money you made from selling his music, and then went and mowed his lawn, the fact is: you're producing superfluous fake tat that has no purpose. Oh sorry, except for providing a service for those who "enjoy the simple process of spinning a few 45's" :rofl: , but, oddly, dont enjoy it so much that they want to go to much effort or spend much money in order to do it.

Your nostalgia about buying boots in your youth and therefore somehow keeping this glorious tradition alive doesn't add any weight either unfortunately, as while vinyl might have been the normal format used for listening to music then, it isn't now; I listen to all my music on MP3s. Working on the assumption that i'm not superior nor inferior to anyone else yet probably as big a music lover as anyone, what's good enough for me must be good enough for everyone else.

I guess where you and I conflict on this issue is that I dont see pretending to be a record collector as an important part of our culture, or a part that needs an entire industry to cater for it. I'm just not into pretending full stop really.

My last point, you'll be glad to hear, is this, and it might explain why I come across as angry, resentful and confrontational: 

I've been into this music for 20 years, constantly active and doing things to either discover new music or expose neglected music to the world. I'm not 'lucky', I've just spent my money on records instead of holidays, cars, scooters, houses and all the things other 'lucky' people spend their money on. All that time, i've worked, and spent the money i've earned on records.

If there weren't people doing that, and promoting the music, there would be no market for your pressings and you wouldn't know what tracks to press. No, don't thank me, I enjoy it.

So I do all this, plug away for years, facing mostly disinterest. Never ask for, or got, a f*cking bean out of it. Why? because I love it. I love the people who made the music, I love the music and I love the people who love the music.

It's culture - grass roots folk culture. One of the last examples of it, that is driven from the bottom up, not the top (commerce) down.

What it isn't, is business. People do it cos they love it, it exists before re-issues therefore re-issues are by their very nature parasitic.

I'm rambling, so I'll put it in the most simple terms: it's folk culture. It's voluntary. there's no money to be earned from it, no angles, no margins, no markets. Cheap tacky cash-in parasitic commerce takes over everything in life, cheapens it, markets it and sucks the soul out of it. 

Having said that, I appreciate your honesty and respect yours and everyone's right to do exactly what you want

My advice? Make and sell something useful instead. Or make your own music and sell it. :hatsoff2:

That is such a ridiculous and nonsensical response on so many different levels that I cannot even begin to write a reply so I bid you best wishes and happiness for the future and many enjoyable moments with your 'music' collection.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

That is such a ridiculous and nonsensical response on so many different levels that I cannot even begin to write a reply so I bid you best wishes and happiness for the future and many enjoyable moments with your 'music' collection.

Hello Jessie.

Part of my collection includes a few R&B 45's, they are up-tempo Northern type and as far as i am aware they have never been (whatever you may call them) booted, re-issued.

My query is.... is any R&B single 45 able to be re-issued, is there nothing to stop anyone doing copies of anything?

I don't wish to get embroiled in any disputes nor do i want to be opinionated, i'd just like your honest view.

Thank-you

Social source share

Hello Jessie.

Part of my collection includes a few R&B 45's, they are up-tempo Northern type and as far as i am aware they have never been (whatever you may call them) booted, re-issued.

My query is.... is any R&B single 45 able to be re-issued, is there nothing to stop anyone doing copies of anything?

I don't wish to get embroiled in any disputes nor do i want to be opinionated, i'd just like your honest view.

Thank-you

As I Understand it that would depend on a few things, firstly, is the 45 pre '63, if it is then by EU law the recording is out of copyright and you can press the musical track with impunity. However, you will still need to pay the MCPS (mechanical) royalties, these payments go to the writers of the recording via the publishing company usually (but not always) listed on the label.

One other thing that is worth noting is that unissued recordings from pre '63 are not covered by this rule, the 50 year rule runs from date of first issue. This would mean that if some unissued material from '61 turned up from Okeh records but was first issued in 2001 the 50 (*now 75) year rule would run from date of first issue not the recording date.

*Paul M and Cliff R got the law changed for post '62 recordings to be in copyright for 75 years.

If the recording is after '63 you will need permission from the owner of the music (not always the label owner! or artist!!) and  this is where it gets a bit tricky, tracking down the owners is not always easy but the internet is a good tool.

I would also hasten to add that this is the rules as I understand them but you should always take legal advice when entering into contracts of this nature or pressing records you are not sure about, that's my disclaimer covered!!

If anybody else out there has anything to add on the subject I'd be very happy!

Over to you Ady.........

Edited by Stompingsevens
Social source share

Agreed, thats going about it in a legitimate way, i was meaning being re-produced by unscrupulous means, is there nothing that cannot be "made" again?

Was meaning the releases mid 60's through to early 70's

Edited by Labeat
Social source share

Hello Jessie.

Thank-you

And more importantly, even if it is legal, does that make it right?  :g:

Edited by GeoffB
Social source share

I don't really understand the question, but anything can be copied I guess.

Put simply.... everything and anything can be re-copied. I look at whats being re-issued on the Northern front and i just question whether or not it's good for the scene. What would the main reasons be for records to be booted, surely it's for ill gotten gains!

Social source share

Earlier in this thread the name Jesse Birdsell cropped up

he used to have a stall next to mine in Kensington Market back in the late 70s

when Gazs Rockin Blues was taking off & he was selling R&b records then to flattops

Didn't realise he was still involved since his soap opera days,Marcus!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!