Starting Up A Northern Soul Night

Hi All,

Im starting up a Northern Soul Night in my Bar in Wakefield.. what advice can anybody offer me ??

I think my bar has the rite atmosphere for the night and i know what sort of hits to play..

But if theres anybody out there in the World or the Wakefield Area that can help.. or perhaps bring some freinds to help the night along....

I dont really want to pay for a dj just yet incase the night doesnt take off.. but i still think that in time it would be worth doing..

Check my site out online. the address is below.. and see what you think.

Many Thanks.

Jason Ridge

Manager

www.barchocolate.co.uk/phpBB << my forum

www.barchocolate.co.uk << my website

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi All,

Im starting up a Northern Soul Night in my Bar in Wakefield.. what advice can anybody offer me ??

I dont really want to pay for a dj just yet incase the night doesnt take off.. but i still think that in time it would be worth doing..

Many Thanks.

Jason Ridge

Manager

Get and pay for an Northern DJ who knows what he/she is doing.

FrankM

Edited by FrankM
Social source share

Think again.........then don't bother! They'll moan about the music policy ("too many oldies"/"too obscure"/"too much 70s"/"not enough 70s"), the venue, the admission price and accuse you of making money off it when, in reality it's cost you to put it on. Then, when you get pissed off and stop running it because they stop turning up, they'll all ask you why you closed it and moan that there's nothing to go to.

Sorry for the negativity, but that was my experience in Cardiff.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Think again.........then don't bother! They'll moan about the music policy ("too many oldies"/"too obscure"/"too much 70s"/"not enough 70s"), the venue, the admission price and accuse you of making money off it when, in reality it's cost you to put it on. Then, when you get pissed off and stop running it because they stop turning up, they'll all ask you why you closed it and moan that there's nothing to go to.

Sorry for the negativity, but that was my experience in Cardiff.

link

And here I am in the throes of starting a monthly saturday night in Newport.

Gulp.

Social source share

Don't play 'hits', it's a Northern Soul night (sorry couldn't resist) :rolleyes:

Make sure you're not clashing with existing established nights.

As Frank says, get an experienced NS DJ.

Social source share

Well you must have a captive audience as the Unity hall used to be packed in the late 70's. Buy yourself a few 'greatest hits (Northern Soul/Motown) cd's' and try that first. Any passers by who hear and recognise it will for sure come inside. To get outsiders to travel in, you would have to advertise / hire a name and take a financial risk.

As an alternative why not have an open DJ night where any one can play records that they want to bring along?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!