staceys dad

Solar Heating

anyone got solar panels on their roof.......any good ..worth it or dont bother waste of time...

Solar Thermal (heating your hot water)? or PV (Photo Voltaic providing electricity)?.

It's the way to go in the long term.  It will be increasingly dangerous to be dependent upon the power plant power grid as the years go by.  You can avoid brownouts and blackouts.

anyone got solar panels on their roof.......any good ..worth it or dont bother waste of time...

Doing a project at the moment putting 250k worth of panels on a roof of a new extension pay back 5 - 6 years pm if you want more details for your own house you need to get on the grant pay back if there's any left, didn't work the numbers on my own house plus don't like the look

You've also got to take into account the maintenance costs.  It's not a case of fit and forget.

I'm sure it works for some people depending on lifestyle, family size etc. etc. But for this sort of reason it's not for me at this moment in time.

A while back had one of the incessant cold calls and said to the guy - "look if this is such a surefire thing you install and maintain all the panels, pay me a rental to use my roof space and you take the income from the electricity you feed back into the grid."

He went very quiet for a while and then "But that's not the way we work mate."

Me: "Now why doesn't that surprise me? Bye!" 

I'm sure it works for some people depending on lifestyle, family size etc. etc. But for this sort of reason it's not for me at this moment in time.

A while back had one of the incessant cold calls and said to the guy - "look if this is such a surefire thing you install and maintain all the panels, pay me a rental to use my roof space and you take the income from the electricity you feed back into the grid."

He went very quiet for a while and then "But that's not the way we work mate."

Me: "Now why doesn't that surprise me? Bye!" 

I've mentioned it on here before, but I got so p*ssed off with one company calling me that I arranged an appointment with their surveyor.  When he arrived I dragged him around to the back of the house and asked him where exactly was he going to fit these solar panels, as my roof has lots of dutch hips, Velux windows, dormers etc.  He admitted it would be impractical.  I told him that this is what I'd been trying to tell his company, but they wouldn't take my word for it.  It meant a 300 mile round trip and the waste of a morning for one of their surveyors, but I think they eventually got the message.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.