Lesley Gore Rip

Goldsoul

I've just read online that Lesley Gore has died. Probably best known for her debut hit, It's My Party, she went on to have several US hits and two chart hits in the UK (It's My Party and Maybe I Know). I believe one of her records was played on the Northern Soul scene, I Won't Love You Anymore (Sorry) although I've never heard it played out myself. She also recorded a good version of the beat ballad What Am I Gonna Do With You, originally by the Chiffons. Quite a lot more to her life including writing songs for the film Fame. She was one of the pop singers I liked back in the 60s.

RIP Lesley.

Social source share

I've just read online that Lesley Gore has died. Probably best known for her debut hit, It's My Party, she went on to have several US hits and two chart hits in the UK (It's My Party and Maybe I Know). I believe one of her records was played on the Northern Soul scene, I Won't Love You Anymore (Sorry) although I've never heard it played out myself. She also recorded a good version of the beat ballad What Am I Gonna Do With You, originally by the Chiffons. Quite a lot more to her life including writing songs for the film Fame. She was one of the pop singers I liked back in the 60s.

RIP Lesley.

She made some great girly pop records, I've got two of them on my jukebox, Wonder Boy and Look Of Love, also her We Know We're In Love was played in 1977...rip

• Helpful 1
Social source share

She made some great girly pop records, I've got two of them on my jukebox, Wonder Boy and Look Of Love, also her We Know We're In Love was played in 1977...rip

I'd forgotten Look Of Love when I started this thread. Absolutely brilliant pop record. Guess we've all been in that situation sometime in our life.

Social source share

Sad news. "Look The Other Way" on Mercury is tremendous blue-eyed soul. Credits on that include Mikki Farrow, Thom Bell and Gamble & Huff. 

Hadn't heard that one before Gareth, fabulous. One for the female beat ballad thread I think. On this side of the Atlantic I think she was rather underrated.

Social source share

RIP Lesley.

Sure I've spun that out at some time, the other side No Matter What You Do is also a great Mod dancer. Is her version of Just Can't Get Enough Of You an album only track, got an emidisc boot from very early 70s of that, it was an oldie when I wasn't!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!