Al Williams.....i Am Nothing

Guest sugar

Guest Aaron Darcy

Just wanna know what this monster is going for, either on La Beat or Palmer and which is the hardest

Not sure of the current price , sold La Beat issue in mint condition to Keb Darge 1999 for £700.

Hardest i would say Palmer Promo

Social source share

La-Beat released 2 years before Palmer re-issue according to the Man who knows!! La-Beat issues and Demo's appear to be about in even quantities!! Personally I think La-Beat issue is harder seen loads of Palmer Demo's but still waiting to see the illusive Palmer Issue!! if it exists? :g: Pricewise Palmer demo would have said £2500 tops Until Darren just got £2750 for one La-beat Issue £3k+ and Demo £3.5+ going off todays prices, Probably worth every penny for a great double sider!! IMHO :thumbsup:

Edited by mrtag
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Never seen an issue if the Palmer reissue ;) Don't know anyone who has? Therefore until one is seen Labeat rarer.  Used to see very few Labeat copies especially the issue, but you did see the Palmer one.  Might be little in it regarding sale according to popsike but it only goes back a few years.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A

Palmer issue rarer.

( tongue in cheek )

Tricky

:D

nevertheless...the Palmer demo is on vinyl and although I don't own one,have been told that the sound quality is superior to the LaBeat...anyone able to confirm that?eny difference between the LaBeat issue/demo in sound quality too?Recall for many yrs there was virtually no interest in this record also....

Social source share

I just sold a Palmer demo in unplayed Mint- condition £2750, remember condition is everything when getting top prices.

Palmer is better quality, La Beat is slightly rarer and I would add £500 to mint prices and use your own judgment on lesser condition.

I sold a La Beat issue a couple years back in VG WOL but played well for £1600. Both are tough though.

Cheers Darren

Social source share

I just sold a Palmer demo in unplayed Mint- condition £2750, remember condition is everything when getting top prices.

Palmer is better quality, La Beat is slightly rarer and I would add £500 to mint prices and use your own judgment on lesser condition.

I sold a La Beat issue a couple years back in VG WOL but played well for £1600. Both are tough though.

Cheers Darren

£1600  :ohmy: You sold it too Cheap!!! :lol:  :lol:  :wicked: It was nice writing :yes:

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

Palmer Demo was rarer until an amount turned up a few years ago. I would have the Palmer one given the choice, the sound quality is better. 

i completely agree  phill i had the choice of  either one.the la beat was a very clean copy at 2200 at the time but the palmer  was mint and cheaper after hearing both records i bought the palmer as it sounded much better 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

quick question, which la beats had golden drums not silver? I thought I saw an al williams like this with the golden drums at Albrighton, pretty sure I know who bought it, 600- 750 ish at the time. I was sorely tempted but had just bought the most expensive record Ive ever had, so was a bit scared to commit the funds. Bloomin wish i had now.
One other story, from much further back (70's,guess 75/6?) One dj/record seller turned up a quantity, cant remember now either 6 or 8 copies, all La Beat wdj's, stood in his shop one saturday morning he produced them and said "who wants on of these". Lots of voices spoke up. The price was announced as either £5 or 8 quid. Slowly he served one person then the next. Got to my turn, and he counted how many he had left and said " sorry John, miscounted, gotta keep one for so-and-so, and one for wotsit, so I have sold them all"
Imagine growing up in a small town where all the main collectors other than me had a copy. Gutted.
I dont really like saying who owns what, in case folk bug them, but of those handful of copies I do know one went to another local collector so is still in the area, maybe they are all still local. Like most La Beats think most had some small label marks from water, found in a damp cellar the story went, was that ever confirmed as true?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There's three times the amount of Palmer demos on popsike compared to Labeat issues.  Just a couple or three Labeat demos.  Probably about the ratio I've always seen it at since the 80's. I know in the early 2000's someone wanted one and could only find a Palmer copy then.

As for water damage, that was from Lou Beatty's basement wasn't it John?  John Anderson telling us he left loads floating in water with no labels on, just taking the remaining stock that had labels.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

quick question, which la beats had golden drums not silver? I thought I saw an al williams like this with the golden drums at Albrighton, pretty sure I know who bought it, 600- 750 ish at the time. I was sorely tempted but had just bought the most expensive record Ive ever had, so was a bit scared to commit the funds. Bloomin wish i had now.

One other story, from much further back (70's,guess 75/6?) One dj/record seller turned up a quantity, cant remember now either 6 or 8 copies, all La Beat wdj's, stood in his shop one saturday morning he produced them and said "who wants on of these". Lots of voices spoke up. The price was announced as either £5 or 8 quid. Slowly he served one person then the next. Got to my turn, and he counted how many he had left and said " sorry John, miscounted, gotta keep one for so-and-so, and one for wotsit, so I have sold them all"

Imagine growing up in a small town where all the main collectors other than me had a copy. Gutted.

I dont really like saying who owns what, in case folk bug them, but of those handful of copies I do know one went to another local collector so is still in the area, maybe they are all still local. Like most La Beats think most had some small label marks from water, found in a damp cellar the story went, was that ever confirmed as true?

The La Beat issue copy I had off Soul Bowl for £12 ,was in great condition ,except for a tiny bit of water damage to label on the B side .Sold it for £400 to a well known dealer in 1991 , and only had one more offer for it ....

• Helpful 2
Social source share

When you hear records like this for the first time its such an amasing feeling and you realise how special Northern Soul really is.

Love it!

Clint

But what about when you've heard it for the the zillionth time and have been listening to it for 30 or 40 years?  It is no longer special is it?  DJ's pay 2.5k for a record and have to wear it out.  The fact that they buy these trophy records usually makes them lose their imagination which is sad.

i'd like to think it was collectors paying some of these prices but somehow I doubt it.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

But what about when you've heard it for the the zillionth time and have been listening to it for 30 or 40 years?  It is no longer special is it?  DJ's pay 2.5k for a record and have to wear it out.  The fact that they buy these trophy records usually makes them lose their imagination which is sad.

i'd like to think it was collectors paying some of these prices but somehow I doubt it.

I agree with you.  It's really good but it's not great.  Badly produced because the vocalist isn't loud enough in the mix.  I'm not slagging it off, before anyone starts, just saying there are hundreds and hundreds of better records out there.  It's not even the best on the label...

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I agree with you.  It's really good but it's not great.  Badly produced because the vocalist isn't loud enough in the mix.  I'm not slagging it off, before anyone starts, just saying there are hundreds and hundreds of better records out there.  It's not even the best on the label...

HOW!  :thumbsup:

Never liked the Al Williams for some reason.

Social source share

But what about when you've heard it for the the zillionth time and have been listening to it for 30 or 40 years? It is no longer special is it? DJ's pay 2.5k for a record and have to wear it out. The fact that they buy these trophy records usually makes them lose their imagination which is sad.

Hey there. I understand where your coming from.

Records grab people for different reasons. Twas just a generalisation as to when you hear records like this for the first time as to why Northern Soul is for you. I'm sure it would be many different records for you. If you have heard it a zillion times jeez I dunno, that sucks for you. But you are right! if I heard any record (good or bad) a zillion times, I would be fed up of it also. Personaly I have not heard it a zillion times so I personaly hope dj's still have the imagination to play it. Sorry !

For the record I don't judge a Soul record by production but then again thats personal taste I suppose.

Atb

Clint

Edited by SLAMMINSOUL
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Chalky. Like you I've heard it since its first plays ,heard it countless times , but I don't care how many more times I hear it out. It's just one of those record's that I never tire of hearing.

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Chalkie,

I was one of the bidders on this and certainly wasn't looking to dj with it. I had this previously but sold it and regretted it since so wanted to have it again purely because the opportunity was there.

don't really DJ but still buy big records as you just don't see them up for sale that commonly. just check out ebay and you'll see that it is full of the same old buy it now crap that nobody wants but most of the bigger items just don't come up for sale that often.

In the last few months I have bought things like Cecil Washington and little Tommy at one end of the spectrum and things like Gene Chandler and O Jay's at the other end. then there are things like Jaqueline Jones which was a new discovery to me and I would certainly champion that one if I was dj'ing.

I am sure that I am not alone in this and would clarify that the majority of my purchases now are ska and rocksteady as these are more readily available.

There are 2 or 3 records that I would certainly buy - Richard Caiton, Imperial C,s , Del Larks but not at the prices being paid at the moment. (exception is RC as this is, and has been my long term want for many years now)

regards H :hatsoff2:

Edited by soulster22
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!