Otis Clay. Show Place

Guest Noggin

Just received a mint copy of this on One-derful and the sound quality is awful. It's vinyl and has 3237 scratched into the run out. 

Is this a boot (would they boot such a common record) or just a bad copy? Thanks for any help.

Edited by Noggin
Social source share

Thanks Patto, the record doesn't look worn at all, it is immaculate with a lovely shine and no marks. It doesn't even crackle but for want of a better description, it sounds like it's being played through a cheap walky talky. There is no clarity to either music or vocals. Oh well, thankfully it won't cost alot to replace.

Social source share

Maybe try to properly clean it if it hasn't been done already?  Remember had a One-derful one that looked ok but still needed a good clean and sounded great afterwards.  

Cheers. I'll give it a try.

Social source share

Have you tried comparing it to the sound from you tube clips.The production of the record is a bit raw

Yeah, it's definitly not as it should be.

Edited by Noggin
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Just a thought…..Have you tried cleaning/washing the record ? I say this because I remember a lot of Chicago stuff tends to have a greasy "film" which can clog the grooves up. Used to find this on New/unplayed stock from 100 packs years back.Also, make sure theres not a build up of shite on your stylus….. Often they just need a good wash to sort them out. Its also a raw recording as pointed out. "Thats How It Is" [the Flipside, pointed out earlier] is one of the greatest Soul records ever laid down ! Now thats a statement…..!

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Maybe try to properly clean it if it hasn't been done already?  Remember had a One-derful one that looked ok but still needed a good clean and sounded great afterwards.  

Sorry, only just seen you suggested this ! 

Social source share

Always thought "Showplace" is great, one of his best records. Northern Soul pounder!

The other side sounds like a average, nothing very special soul record to me!

Social source share

Thanks Patto, the record doesn't look worn at all, it is immaculate with a lovely shine and no marks. It doesn't even crackle but for want of a better description, it sounds like it's being played through a cheap walky talky. There is no clarity to either music or vocals. Oh well, thankfully it won't cost alot to replace.

Mine looks mint sounds awful, have to admit haven't got around to cleaning just chucked it in the box  :(

Social source share

Can we have an 'unlike' button for this?

"That's How It Is" is one of the cornerstones of 60s soul music and a very special performance from one of the greatest soul singers–indeed singers full stop–to ever draw breath. How anyone can call it average is beyond me.

Just played this for the first time ever.  Brilliant performance - not much of a song though.

Social source share

Remember singing "That's How It Is" to my 'then' wife with Otis, in his dressing room, 20 odd years ago. It wasn't a great performance, to be honest, (I ruined it) but he'd missed it off the show and I was hell bent on hearing it.

One of the greatest real Soul records in the history of the universe. Period.

The flip side is my old Jimmy Burns cover up from early Bradford days.

Sean

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Footnote: the opening line 'please somebody take their hand and slap some sense in me' is an absolute killer!

Fans might also want to check out SOS from the author, Cash McCall in a very similar vein!

Agree Sean, for me one of the best opening lines in the history of soul music  :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Noggin

Mine looks mint sounds awful, have to admit haven't got around to cleaning just chucked it in the box  :(

Give it a clean Dave. Just got round to cleaning mine, which looks mint, and the improvement is massive.  :thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!