Leather Tassel Loafers

Hill868

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 

Do it properly and do it just once , these will last you a lifetime and be well worth the initial outlay ...  :)

https://www.loake.co.uk/byrange/loake-shoemakers/brighton.html

I agree with your choice. Mine initially felt a bit tight across the top but loosened off nicely without ever becoming too slack.

I've seen them in the odd independent shoe shop for around £100.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

Social source share

Delicious Junction. I'm size 8, bought a pair of size 8s online for about £80. They arrived next day. They're rock solid, fit perfect, feel great, took a couple of soul nights to bed in - have never gone 'slobby'...great for dancing, obviously. Saving up  for a pair of burgundy ones now.

Social source share

search US ebay for NOS or VGC loafers that are made in the USA. Many of them were hand made and will last you forever. I have a pair of NOS Nunn Bush and they are top quality.I think I paid around $30 plus $20 for postage. These days most are made in the far east or South America and although cheap, the quality is poor.

Edited by Noggin
Social source share

Obviously, it's a personal choice and while I really would not recommend any of the manufacturers that you mention in your original post, I really am not a fan of Loake shoes, either.

I simply don't like the shape of Loake's, and while I have tried on both their brogues and loafers, I would heartily recommend American Bass Weejun for loafers and British Grenson for brogues. 

Neither brands are the cheapest, or most expensive, for that matter, but they are both sharp as f**k with the quality to match.

You'll not be disappointed...

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
Social source share

Obviously, it's a personal choice and while I really would not recommend any of the manufacturers that you mention in your original post, I really am not a fan of Loake shoes, either.

I simply don't like the shape of Loake's, and while I have tried on both their brogues and loafers, I would heartily recommend American Bass Weejun for loafers and British Grenson for brogues. 

Neither brands are the cheapest, or most expensive, for that matter, but they are both sharp as f**k with the quality to match.

You'll not be disappointed...

If you can find a pair of USA made Bass Weejuns, on ebay or etsy, get them. 

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
Social source share

You're quite right, which is why I've specified the American! I'm fortunate to have a couple of pairs, as well as a pair of the current south American manufactured ones. They're alright, and I'd still certainly prefer them to Loakes because of their shape, but you really can tell the difference with the American originals!

Social source share

I recently bought a pair of Weejuns which were OK considering they were made in El Salvador. I think they cost about £80 delivered from the States in  the GH Bass post-Xmas sale. Truth be told they stack up pretty well against an early 1990s US-made pair I have but rarely wear. They use the same rather cardboard-like corrected grain leather they always have.

I also have a couple of pairs of Allen Edmonds loafers which were made in the USA and are far better in terms of construction, materials etc. They did cost at least twice as much though to be fair. Not as stylish as the Weejuns though IMHO. 

Social source share

Guest Gary Thomas

post-6339-0-40005600-1425300907_thumb.jppost-6339-0-68007500-1425300937_thumb.jp

Have a couple of pairs of US - made Bass Weejuns for sale if anyone's interested, before I ebay 'em. Bought many many years ago but one pair never worn and as new (black) and the other worn once (burgundy). They are a US 9, which I think is equivalent to a UK 8. Not recommended for anyone who needs a wide-fitting shoe. Asking £40 for the black pair and £30 for the burgundy. These are currently priced at £105 by a UK - based retailer.

Edited by Gary Thomas
Social source share

Guest Noggin

attachicon.gifCIMG1972.JPGattachicon.gifCIMG1973.JPG

Have a couple of pairs of US - made Bass Weejuns for sale if anyone's interested, before I ebay 'em. Bought many many years ago but one pair never worn and as new (black) and the other worn once (burgundy). They are a US 9, which I think is equivalent to a UK 8. Not recommended for anyone who needs a wide-fitting shoe. Asking £40 for the black pair and £30 for the burgundy. These are currently priced at £105 by a UK - based retailer.

Bargain! Unfortunately too small for me.

Social source share

Had my Icons for 8 years and just had them re-soled last week. Not a problem with them at all!

Have Loakes also and really not much difference.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest son of stan

Personally, i suit something a bit more elegant than some of the clodhoppers featured above (but each to their own..)

Recently bought a pair of Hudson Pierre. Decent quality and when they wear out, I'll buy another pair... or something else.

Who wants to wear the same pair of shoes for the rest of their life?? ;-)

Social source share

Personally, i suit something a bit more elegant than some of the clodhoppers featured above (but each to their own..)

Recently bought a pair of Hudson Pierre. Decent quality and when they wear out, I'll buy another pair... or something else.

Who wants to wear the same pair of shoes for the rest of their life?? ;-)

Me !!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!