Donnell Pitman 'love Explosion'

Guest son of stan

Guest son of stan

Only just heard this this week.

What's the story? Is it a newish recording, a dodgy .. 70s thing with him singing over the Ripple record or the official vocal version? If the latter, I have tuned out for the odd year but can't believe this has only recently emerged from obscurity...

Anyway. I love it. Is there a cheap bootleg or summat about?

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Donnell Pitman's "Love Explosion" was originally released on 7" only on the Arpco label in 1980 and utilises the same backing track of Ripple's largely instrumental "The Beat Goes On" which was issued on Salsoul  in 1977.

The Ripple release reached #13 on the Billboard Dance Chart in 1978.

Both records were produced by Chicago producer Floyd Smith who at one time was married to Loleatta Holloway.

An "unofficial" 12" of Donnell Pitman was released last year.  

Edited by sunnysoul
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Only 5 noted on popsike and 3 of those were in poor condition. The other two were VG+only so the fact that the most recent one reached $585.00 US is probably not a good indication.

It's not only a superb record but very elusive.

If an Exc or M- copy came up for on auction on ebay today, it would not surprise if it reached 4 figures ($US) . But whether an ebay price is the right price is of course up to the individual. 

Apart from the strong interest in the record on the rare soul scene,  there is high demand for this record from disco and boogie collectors; and there was never any original 12" release.

And despite the fact that it clocks in at 6 minutes 12 seconds on the 7", the sound is loud and clear, and its on vinyl (not styrene).

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Probably one of the first examples of creative sampling although the reality is that the Ripple backing track was essentially bootlegged from Salsoul as they would never have licensed it out at that time. It's probably the reason why it's so obscure.

Ripple "The Beat Goes On And On"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFEq4Aku6Rs

Ian D  :D

Perhaps Floyd Smith owned the Ripple masters ?

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Not sure if theres any truth to this but someone told me recently the Donnell Pitman was at some point a member of Ripple ?

Or perhaps just something to do with the group ? May explain how this came about ?

It is a weird one though isn't,how a track this good can lay around for so long with everyone seemingly unaware of its existence. I have vague memories of someone showing up at one of the London record fairs with a copy[probably 10-15 years back now] after a buying trip to Chicago and being asked if I knew it [i didn't of course]. Seem to remember playing it  and upon realising it was the same backing track as Ripple, i just assumed it must have been known :) . Dunno who bought that copy ?

Good record….. 

Social source share

Does get a writers credit on the Ripple version.

Yep. Ripple was a Floyd Smith production. I don't think relations were that good between Floyd and Salsoul at the time, so my guess is that Floyd did a bit of 'creative recycling' on the backing track and put it out in Chicago only and kept it it on the down-low.....

Ian D  :D

Social source share

• 8 months later...

Some further information on the Donnell Pitman / Love Explosion story.

I 've long been curious as to whether there were any other releases on the Arpco label and have now come across this release on Arpco by John Drummer.

4530426.jpgMODERN SOUL BOOGIE 45-DONNELL PITMAN-LOVE EXPLOSION /SECRET LOVE AFFAIR on ARPCO

As you can see from the scans, the two records have different label design and numbering. The common link between the two though is Archie Russell, a long standing Chicago soul producer, probably best known for his production work on Betty Everett's Uni label recordings from the early 70's. 

Floyd Smith incidentally, who co-produced Love Explosion with Russell, also had a hand in writing several of the tunes on Betty's UNI LP. 

Russell later produced the Chi Lites 1985 release "Hard Act To Follow" on Nuance Records and the label clearly credits "Archie Russell for Arpco Productions" as co-producer.

One can conclude therefore that Arpco was Archie Russell's label with the name Arpco probably derived from the letters of his name:  "Archie Russell Productions Co.

Does anyone know of any other releases on Arpco?

Finally, here is a great bit of rare footage from local Chicago TV show  "The Chicago Party" from 1980 featuring the man himself , Donnell Pitman , singing Burning Up. Notice the host introduces Donnell by mentioning that the tune is produced by Archie Russell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt-r_L9lzEc

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

1 hour ago, Sebastian said:

I don't know if this is of any help but the numbering on the Johnny Drummer 45 (PS-113183) should probably be read 11/31/83, i.e. mastered/plated on the 31st of November 1983.

Can see where you're going but of course there isn't a '31st of November'

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!