Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

RepoMan

Thank you for the invite. I was a DJ for 20 years or so up to 2002 but not strictly to this scene. I used to play Frankie Valli, Gloria Jones, Tammi Lynn and other crossover tracks in sets in that period. My love for this has been sparked by Elaine Constantine's film mainly because of the music but more the ethos behind it, so I am catching up by listening to a goldmine of tunes I've not heard before. Also, I admit to never having been to any of the main venues or any such nights dedicated to the movement. Be gentle with me and I promise to abide by the rules. 

Best regards

Graham Wilde

And it's important to me that people don't get the wrong impression, I was never really part of The Northern Soul scene and my association existed on the fringes by playing classics within a mainstream disco setting. If you asked me to name 20 NS classics in October last year, I couldn't have done it (mainly through being retired for 12 years). Between now and then, I'd be disappointed if I couldn't name 100. The film inspired me because of the lead role's path. I didn't walk out of exams and tell teachers to f*** off and I didn't work in a factory, but I was dysfunctional between the ages of 18 and 23 and had I known what I know now, I would have been up and down the country going to these venues. Sadly, it didn't happen, and that is why I have total respect for the people that were there and experienced it. These people have a wealth of good memories and that money cannot buy.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts