Wizard Of Oz, Northern Style

Steve L

Oh' it's bloody ironic that Nottingham should be the setting, isn't it? Once a magnet for those of us on pilgrimage to Wigan via The Brit Rowing Club, those dayers at the Palais during the Jazz-Funk scare with djs with unlikely names like Duke Polluta, a regional kinship with the Notts crowd that used to come down to Peterborough and St. Ives... so where's it at now?  The epicentre of the NS re-enactment society and now the Wizard of Oz meets NS stage phenomenon? Grotesque, 'kin grotesque. 

I wouldn't have thought Nottingham was any different to any other area with a northern soul history

There's good events that people travel to with top DJ's playing rare original vinyl and there's the other events that those in the know steer clear of

Some of the top collections can be found in the East Midlands from the likes of Mick H, Kitch, Mark Hopes, Cressy, Pete Taylor. John Poole, Glynn Sissons, Mark Johnson, Rob Kay, Rob Wigley, Rob Smith, etc

It's just unfortunate that they chose Nottingham for this media circus - it will be interesting to see who will volunteer and show their true colours

• Helpful 2
Social source share

As a Nottingham lad it pains me to say this. Since I first jumped on this scene in 78, Notts was always at the forefront and stuck to the ethos of Northern, new discoveries; underplayed and selected oldies.

We had venues like Rock City which had Jim Wensiora, Rob Marriot, Robin Salter playing the cream of current spins. We had DJs Like Kitch, Rob, Jim, Dean Anderson etc breaking new discoveries.

Notts was well up there for leading the way - this changed mid 90s and slowly, IMO declined to become a central lead in the Nostalgia scene which has in the main dumped the Northern Ethos for a extremely limited playlist and for a very visible proportion - a uniform which was about for a handful of years.

You think of Notts now and you think of a baggy kingdom. It's no surprise then that this bol£&k of a production is staged in Nottongham. I guess the producers have looked around at what's on their doorstep and have been influenced by it.

There are events, like Mick Hs that buck this nostalgia trend but let's be honest - out of the national crowd who attend these there must be say 20 if us Notts lot there.

And of course some of the top collections sit in Notts, but how many on the Notts Nostalgia scene would be interested in hearing say Kitch's Delegates of Soul c/u, Alice Clark C/u etc, not many I'd wager- more likely to respond to Shirley Ellis.

I wouldn't have thought Nottingham was any different to any other area with a northern soul history

There's good events that people travel to with top DJ's playing rare original vinyl and there's the other events that those in the know steer clear of

Some of the top collections can be found in the East Midlands from the likes of Mick H, Kitch, Mark Hopes, Cressy, Pete Taylor. John Poole, Glynn Sissons, Mark Johnson, Rob Kay, Rob Wigley, Rob Smith, etc

It's just unfortunate that they chose Nottingham for this media circus - it will be interesting to see who will volunteer and show their true colours

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

I would like to be a flying monkey I have always fancied a tail

I'm in touch with the producers and they can gaffer tape a tail onto a pair if Roxy Threads no problem :)

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

I note the production is entitled 'The Wizz'......  :lol:

Also noticed that,as they say you would never of had nighters the way the scene did without the wiz.(of course there are still some exceptionaly good nighters around )

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!