Imagine If It Hadn't Made The Charts

Dayo

Sat here musing to myself and thinking about records that might have been monsters in the scene if they hadn't made the charts.  

So, here's a little head game:

Motown aside because they're all just too obvious, which chart records would have been dance floor classics had they never made the charts and been discovered in a dusty warehouse?  And for a bit of fun, at what venue could you imagine them?

Here's 3 to start you off:

Showstoppers; Ain't nothing but a houseparty.  Surely that would have been a monster at the Wheel?  (Actually maybe it was?!)

Los Bravos; Black is black - would have sat very nicely next to the Shakers etc at the Torch.

And what if Mr. Bloe; Groovin with Mr Bloe had been shipped over to Wigan in '73?

It's only fun - remember no Motown though!

Edit:  

Or to put it another way; which UK chart record do you wish you'd discoverd as an unknown gem?

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

A Taste of Honey -Boogie Oogie Oogie

Donna Summer - Love's Unkind

Spencer Davis - Any one of his hits

I remember Dave Godin chose "Charles and Eddie - Would I lie to you" as a song with all the right ingredients for a northern record

The Maisonettes - Heartache Avenue

I'm not saying that they would have been great to hear played out, but there were far worse records played at Wigan.

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Didn't things get bad enough without some of these! :lol:

I remember Dave Godin chose "Charles and Eddie - Would I lie to you" as a song with all the right ingredients for a northern record

I'm not saying that they would have been great to hear played out, but there were far worse records played at Wigan.

Kev

I rest my case.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest son of stan

Paul & Barry Ryan 'Have Pity on the Boy'. Got in the top 20, i think, and sounds almost exactly like Chapter 5.

Bo Kirkland & Ruth Davies, 'If you keep on doing what you doing you're gonna get next to me' Just a fantastic soul record. There was a time when things like this got in the charts! Possibly played at the Mecca tho...?

Social source share

Guest son of stan

PS slightly off topic but did anyone see 'Top of The Pops' on bbc4 the other night?.Legs & Co were doing a typically bizarre routine to Azymuth 'Jazz Carnival'...It's hard to believe now that things like that, a Brasilian jazz funk record, used to get in the charts!

Social source share

Paul & Barry Ryan 'Have Pity on the Boy'. Got in the top 20, i think, and sounds almost exactly like Chapter 5.

Bo Kirkland & Ruth Davies, 'If you keep on doing what you doing you're gonna get next to me' Just a fantastic soul record. There was a time when things like this got in the charts! Possibly played at the Mecca tho...?

That was played everywhere, including Wigan - huge record on import

Social source share

It did get in the charts in the U.K. - No.12 in in June 1977. Massive hit. Paul McCartney even picked up the publishing rights..... 

Ian D  :D

Social source share

Kev

The Maisonettes did get some plays courtesy of Dave Evison!

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

There's thousands of records that if there were 'only three known copies' would instantly be elevated to all time greatest classic status.

That's rarity for ya !

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

John Miles "Music" ,No not all of it just stomping instrumental middle bit {comes in at 3.40 ms]reminds of all those mad bad instros from the 70s,"Police Story",Exodus" "summer of 42," "Bubblegum Breakthrough",Fantastic plastic Flying Machine"etc,etc What was it in the Norhern Pschyce" that made these tunes appealing, Just "Druggy Morons"? LOL Johnny

Social source share

Their were dozens of soul records plus r n b and pop soul that made the charts in the 60's and early 70's which were played in soul clubs and Allniters at the time which filled the dance floors. it's just that a lot for a lot of Soulies it was before their time but for some of us we can remember Soul in those days was a lot bigger scene than you can imagine,

.Keep on Trucking Mick L

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Their were dozens of soul records plus r n b and pop soul that made the charts in the 60's and early 70's which were played in soul clubs and Allniters at the time which filled the dance floors. it's just that a lot for a lot of Soulies it was before their time but for some of us we can remember Soul in those days was a lot bigger scene than you can imagine,

.Keep on Trucking Mick L

You're right. My sister who was born in 1949 came home with Oscar Toney Jnr - For your precious love as a new release as it was played as a slowie at the end of the night.

Kev

Social source share

I don't think charting stopped too many sounds, Esther's What a difference was massive. My fave was Don covey - Better to have. I think it was played as an oldie but deserved a contemporary play.

BTW Bo and Ruth - absolute class sound.

Edited by Drewtg
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest son of stan

I always thought that Edwyn Collins 'Never met a girl like you before', altho obviously done as a pastiche of northern soul had something a bit 'extra' about it that made it a good record in its own right.

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Also, Helen Shapiro's Tell Me What He Said, but maybe that should be excluded because it does seem to have got some plays in recent years (despite having been a big pop hit).

Heard this played out a couple of years ago, had to get a copy.

Social source share

It did get in the charts in the U.K. - No.12 in in June 1977. Massive hit. Paul McCartney even picked up the publishing rights..... 

Ian D  :D

I like to look back at some of the better black music that charted, not just to say 'Yes that deserved it' or 'never want to hear that again', but to remember just how many thousands of artists had a go and never made a dollar. In the case of this artist it was not before time. Bo kirkland or better known to many soul fans as Micheal James kirkland recorded the wonderfull 'There's nothing i can do about it' for highland records as Mike & the censations along with several other exellent tracks, not only on this logo but later on revue. His solo work for Zay and Bryan als deserves praise. His cut 'You put it on my mind' from the 'Doin' it right album is superb. A very underated singer imo, with such a well rounded voice. So I hope it bagged him a few dollars after many years hard work. As for some of the out and out pop acts mentioned in this thread , I could not care less.

Andy

Social source share

When I started this thread I thought it might push a few buttons, though that wasn't the intention.  It's only a bit of fun and an exercise in imagination.

I'm certainly not saying that Black is Black should have been played, or even that it's a great record.  It's just that if it hadn't been a pop hit it might have been a Torch monster along with The Shakers, Wayne Gibson and so on.

As we know, several hundred pop records have been played on the scene over many years, ranging from the sublime (Shane Martin) to the ridiculous (Joe 90) and everything in between.  

I've certainly learnt a few things too; had no idea Chairman of the Board was played at the Wheel - I guess I should't be surprised though.  Some great ideas coming through; Harlem shuffle is an obvious but great choice and I love the thought of Everlasting Love being a super rare monster - especially with that break down and killer snare fills.   

Can I add a couple more to my own thread?  Breakin' down the walls of heartache shouldn't be too controversial - great record!  But what about Mason Williams Classical Gas?  There's something very Mike Post about that one and the production is superb.  (Oh heck - don't tell me, Russ played it?!)

Cheers all - have fun!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!