Imagine If It Hadn't Made The Charts

Dayo

Guest Invictus

I always thought that Bluer Days Ahead, the flip side to Ruby Winters-I Will, would have made it on the scene (if turntable sped up a little). Not a patch on, In The Middle Of A Heartache though.

https://youtu.be/iaS2yo5ii4w

Edited by Invictus
Social source share

Paul & Barry Ryan 'Have Pity on the Boy'. Got in the top 20, i think, and sounds almost exactly like Chapter 5.

Bo Kirkland & Ruth Davies, 'If you keep on doing what you doing you're gonna get next to me' Just a fantastic soul record. There was a time when things like this got in the charts! Possibly played at the Mecca tho...?

It was played at the Mecca !!
Social source share

I Need It                                   Johnny Guitar Watson  (Ritz shuffler)

Do Me Right                            Detroit Emeralds (+ Feel The Need, You Want It You Got It)

You've Got To Crawl                Eighth Day  (+Eeny Meeny Miny Mo)

Don't Leave Me                       Lamont Dozier  ( loads of Invictus and Hot Wax would definitely made the grade, the fore mentioned is a particular favorite at the moment , great bass, slapping congas and a heart felt pleading vocal, 'Shes got her hat and coat before, but never made it past that door, this time she's going a little too far, shes put her bags in the car')

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Chart popularity never stopped Ady spinning Gladys Knight 'Baby dont change your mind' at the 100 club. Go Horace !!

Meanwhile in a paralell universe's reverse version of this thread - I heard a young girl at work playing Benny Latimore yesterday on  spotify, "I heard him on 'Orange is the new black' I'm really into him !"

Social source share

An awful lot of these WERE played - Los Bravos at Peterborough Fleet early 80s, Len Barry certainly at The Scene and therefore almost certainly at the Wheel (a guy on here posted his memories a while back and made a point of saying his tracks were massive), Holland & Dozier - Pete told me the instrumental was played (I'm presuming the Mecca or Ritz - anyway he bought it back then and we still have it), Fontella Bass and Spencer Davis both played the Wheel frequently so would have been played (if only live), Lou Christie (Wheel mid 60s according to the Abardie's website and by Dave Evison in Ms), heard all the Detroit Emeralds tracks played at some time myself (specially their version of Do Me Right at the Unicorn), Backfield in Motion - Wheel. Believe Mr Bloe was played in Ms - certainly Electric Indian's version, bought it because I'd heard it and was collecting instrumentals at the time.

As for the Showstoppers well... It was SO big over here when first released that it got reissued in the states being promoted as the big Mod sound in the UK, following a brief flush of fashionable interest in mods in New York after an article about them in US Vogue (65 from memory).

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!