Copyright - Licence To Play Records! At Venues

Ho do promoters deal with this as the PPL(Phonographic performance limited) base it on square feet. So If you promote at the same venue thats easy but if you promote across venues the licence price changes!

The other issue to this is Whether or not the copyright has been listed with the PPL and if its not you dont need a licence to play that record but if the track has been registered- Yes you do.

Here acouple that have Do the Pearl Girl by the Matta Baby on Penny registered by universal.

Larry Birdsong - Somebody help me - Sur speed

Couple that have not - Cletus Marland - Your gonna Miss me - Terry

Fabulous Shalimars - Playin alosing game - Cotillion.

So even the big labeles dont alway register but the little labels do!

Anyone tried to compile a datbase of thos records that have been registered with PPL and do you know what the fines are for not having a licence to play such registered records?

Is this can of worms time?

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Pretty sure the venue needs this licence not the promoter. Well my club has it, because I stuck up the nice sticker they send out to show we've got it (the PPL that is).

So if the venue had not got a licence ( Dont know why- but hypothetically) and the room had been contracted out it would be the promoters responsibility? Yes / No

The actually interesting bit is which records are registered and which are not and how does Mr Manship deal with this on his site as its not avenue in the same sense?

Social source share

So if the venue had not got a licence ( Dont know why- but hypothetically) and the room had been contracted out it would be the promoters responsibility? Yes / No

The actually interesting bit is which records are registered and which are not and how does Mr Manship deal with this on his site as its not avenue in the same sense?

Why not go to the PPL Website and find out. They're best placed to answer your queries.

PPL Website

Social source share

Ho do promoters deal with this as the PPL(Phonographic performance limited) base it on square feet. So If you promote at the same venue thats easy but if you promote across venues the licence price changes!

The other issue to this is Whether or not the copyright has been listed with the PPL and if its not you dont need a licence to play that record but if the track has been registered- Yes you do.

Here acouple that have Do the Pearl Girl by the Matta Baby on Penny registered by universal.

Larry Birdsong - Somebody help me - Sur speed

Couple that have not - Cletus Marland - Your gonna Miss me - Terry

Fabulous Shalimars - Playin alosing game - Cotillion.

So even the big labeles dont alway register but the little labels do!

Anyone tried to compile a datbase of thos records that have been registered with PPL and do you know what the fines are for not having a licence to play such registered records?

Is this can of worms time?

I think you worry too much.

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

venue has license so can play music whether track listed or not, as you say

venue shouldn't hire out outside terms of their license, so shouldn't be a problem for promoter, so long as promoter tells venue what he is hiring for, and not under the sham of being a private party (for example).

So it shouldn't be a problem - thats not to say that venues don't hire outside terms, and promoters don't hire out unlicensed venues.

But gene has it right - ppl! ha ha - if you're asking whether that is fair, just, comprehensive, right etc thats a whole different ball game.

Social source share

By looking at the PPL site, it seems that there are so many different types of licence.

Public premises need them just for having a jukebox, people need them for storing mp3's on their computers. How many people on here who have moaned about artists being ripped off, have mp3's on their PC's but don't have a PPL? I'll admit I haven't got a PPL, but have music stored on my PC. whistling.gif:)

Does Mike need one for this site (soundfiles) as it's in the public domain? :thumbsup:

As for promoters, it seems they can have one (doesn't necessarily need to be the venue), but the cost depends on the amount of people attending and how many events per year they hold.

So it seems the whole PPL issue is as clear as mud! wacko.gif

Social source share

ppl and prs are the venue's responsibility.

if you have hired the room and have made it clear you will be playing music then if they don't have one it's their liability. On saying that legally i suppose you should check with the organisers.

PPL & PRS are accepted as blanket licences in the uk covering all artists, labels and wwriters / composers.

Dont know if they do a one off licence for events but if they did i'd guess they were silly money - I used to pay around £3000 (both prs and ppl) for a months licence for radio and only a small station.

Social source share

ppl and prs are the venue's responsibility.

if you have hired the room and have made it clear you will be playing music then if they don't have one it's their liability. On saying that legally i suppose you should check with the organisers.

PPL & PRS are accepted as blanket licences in the uk covering all artists, labels and wwriters / composers.

Dont know if they do a one off licence for events but if they did i'd guess they were silly money - I used to pay around £3000 (both prs and ppl) for a months licence for radio and only a small station.

PRS do not issue 'one off' licences for venues, it isn't financially viable. In the unusual event of a venue not having both licences, they have therefore decided to pursue a non-musical policy at their venue. They shouldn't be booking nights that feature music.

TTM

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

This has been covered in great detail previously, the guy spinning the record no longer required to list each record he/she plays on the licencing forms like you used to have to do at each event you DJ'd at, right pain it was too. The licencing guys not interested in what's played and the revenue's collected for royalties go generally to the BIG acts anyway, the chances of a member of the Magnetics getting their slice of the pie over Elton John is nil. :thumbsup:

Social source share

This has been covered in great detail previously, the guy spinning the record no longer required to list each record he/she plays on the licencing forms like you used to have to do at each event you DJ'd at, right pain it was too. The licencing guys not interested in what's played and the revenue's collected for royalties go generally to the BIG acts anyway, the chances of a member of the Magnetics getting their slice of the pie over Elton John is nil. :thumbsup:

So what about web sites - eg this one Or John Manship or keith williams site infact any site that plays music - Where does that fit in?

Apparrantly if the venues plays live music by the band that wrote the muusic words etc and they can prove it the venue does not need a licence- That came from the PPL this morning or if you play cds or records that are not copyrighted you dont need a license. The question for web sites then is interesting as they might not know which records are registered or copyrighted with the PPL.

Im just interested in peoples opinion as i think this is intetresting! especially which records are registered and by who and which are not.

Social source share

Can you actually name a record whose songs have not been registered?

i think the only case where you would be clear, is stuff explicitly in the 'public domain' - so either stuff intended for free public use, or records where the copyright has expired. copyright exists for *all* records, i think whether they have been registered or not with the PPL doesn't matter - royalties would still be owed where necessary (reissuing, radio/tv/film play etc), so this won't be any different just because PPL don't know who to send the money to.

as mentioned in the first post (although i missed it on first reading - maybe others did too?) you still need a PPL licence whether or not the records are registered with the PPL.

Social source share

i think the only case where you would be clear, is stuff explicitly in the 'public domain' - so either stuff intended for free public use, or records where the copyright has expired. copyright exists for *all* records, i think whether they have been registered or not with the PPL doesn't matter - royalties would still be owed where necessary (reissuing, radio/tv/film play etc), so this won't be any different just because PPL don't know who to send the money to.

as mentioned in the first post (although i missed it on first reading - maybe others did too?) you still need a PPL licence whether or not the records are registered with the PPL.

Not the case I spoke to the PPL yesterday for another reason and asked if an Indian band made some cds and gave the music as apresent or was even paid for it and they acknowledged that then the PPL says you dont need alicence to play them in any venue even if the venue does not have a licence.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!