Skullsnaps Lp

Steve Foran

The original LP did it have the sticker on the front cover saying "Includes the hit/track Im your pimp"? I always thought this issue was AFTER it became played?

I know it has been the subject of many topics AND I feel it is a very difficult one to tell the first issue from re-issues?

JM told me a few years back that it was the number of turns in the run out groove? Say 3 for first issue and 4 for the others? I think the stamp/matrix is positioned in the first run out groove but on the re-issues it is further in?

If anyone can say I would be a happy bunny.     

Social source share

The original LP did it have the sticker on the front cover saying "Includes the hit/track Im your pimp"? I always thought this issue was AFTER it became played?

I know it has been the subject of many topics AND I feel it is a very difficult one to tell the first issue from re-issues?

JM told me a few years back that it was the number of turns in the run out groove? Say 3 for first issue and 4 for the others? I think the stamp/matrix is positioned in the first run out groove but on the re-issues it is further in?

My copy is without sticker, I'll try to lay hands on it to check.

Social source share

They are not stickers on the cover, it's actually printed on the cover.

That puts the cat amongst the pigeons than.

It's that long since l had one, l can't honestly remember.

It is 40 years ago now since it became a big Mecca spin.

Brivinyl is absolutely correct. They were definitely available in Manchester late 70s with the 'printed on' sticker.

Social source share

My copy is without sticker, I'll try to lay hands on it to check.

So... my copy has two turns in the run out groove on side A and three on side B. On both sides the matrix stamp (GSF.S.1011A/B) is positioned in the first turn.

Hope this helps!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Must have been for UK consumption as I don't think I'm your pimp was released as a 45 anywhere..so it couldn't have been a hit. The only place it hit was on the northern soul scene.. and it was pretty big.. so the copies with the sticker with it on most likely represses in 75/76 when it was massive

Correct in my opinion Dave, it was as if it was never unavailable.  Someone repressed them for the Northern scene.

Social source share

Correct in my opinion Dave, it was as if it was never unavailable.  Someone repressed them for the Northern scene.

However, if you check Popsike you'll see that the majority of original copies with the printed sticker have come from the US. Also, I'm fairly sure the Bostocks copies with sticker were also cut outs. Is anyone in contact with any members of the group? It'd be interesting to find out if 'Pimp' was a radio hit somewhere.

Social source share

Correct.

And there would only ever have been one original press of the LP made  in the US around '73. Dave in post #17 suggests that the LP was repressed with the sticker around 75/76 on the back of northern scene plays but  this is highly unlikely as  the GSF label ceased operations around 1974. The label was another one of Lloyd Price's ventures in the music business.

The re-issues only started showing from the late 80's once the LP had become an established  classic on the funk and rare groove scene.

Sorry but this is incorrect.  The record went big in 1975.  The albums were easy to obtain.  In 1976 the albums with the fake sticker on the front were available as imports, they were identical to the 'first pressings' apart from the cover.  Then it just faded away and as you say, was counterfeited in the late 80's.  But there are two pressings from the 70's.  

Social source share

Sorry but this is incorrect.  The record went big in 1975.  The albums were easy to obtain.  In 1976 the albums with the fake sticker on the front were available as imports, they were identical to the 'first pressings' apart from the cover.  Then it just faded away and as you say, was counterfeited in the late 80's.  But there are two pressings from the 70's.  

I hear what you're saying Pete but perhaps the copies of the LP that found their way into the UK were just existing deletion copies from the original press run which were sitting idle in US warehouses or store cut out bins and then just had the stickers put on them either on being shipped from the US or on arrival in the UK .

Surely the cost of pressing an LP (as against a 7") would have been prohibitive for the bootleggers ,  and the GSF label itself had long shut down by then.

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

I hear what you're saying Pete but perhaps the copies of the LP that found their way into the UK were just existing deletion copies from the original press run which were sitting idle in US warehouses or store cut out bins and then just had the stickers put on them either on being shipped from the US or on arrival in the UK .

Surely the cost of pressing an LP (as against a 7") would have been prohibitive for the bootleggers ,  and the GSF label itself had long shut down by then.

No I'm not going to disagree with you am just saying that there were definitely two 'versions' of the same lp back then.  We were surprised even back then when it mentioned "the hit single" as everyone knew it was played from the LP.

Social source share

This reminds me of the first Todd Rundgren LP under the name of Runt. Some original copies had a sticker mentioning the song "We Gotta Get You A Woman" (a semi-hit 45 here in the US when it and the LP was released in 1970). When the LP was booted/counterfeited in the mid-late 1970s, the sticker was now part of the printed cover. I think there are more examples of this but the Runt LP is one I remember most. There were a bunch of counterfeit LPs from the same era, Yardbirds, the first Billy Joel LP, all US issues.

Social source share

When I referred to the 'hit' I was referring to it in the sense of radio or club plays in America. It's a well known fact it wasn't released as an official 45.

My copy, which I got in the late 70's also has the printed on 'sticker' - I never once thought, or heard of anyone else thinking it was repressed due to any demand in the UK, of which there was no real demand for "I'm your pimp" by then. It wasn't even getting played all that much on the Soul scene at that time, which kind of makes no reason for anyone to think of going to the trouble of doing it. LPs certainly were not big sellers then either - certainly not for that track.

I was more wondering if anyone had any knowledge of it ever being popular in the States, maybe just on a regional level.

Although it's not unheard of for record companies to use that type of thing to aid sales.

The Frankie Crocker theory certainly fits with my way of thinking...

• Helpful 3
Social source share

When I referred to the 'hit' I was referring to it in the sense of radio or club plays in America. It's a well known fact it wasn't released as an official 45.

My copy, which I got in the late 70's also has the printed on 'sticker' - I never once thought, or heard of anyone else thinking it was repressed due to any demand in the UK, of which there was no real demand for "I'm your pimp" by then. It wasn't even getting played all that much on the Soul scene at that time, which kind of makes no reason for anyone to think of going to the trouble of doing it. LPs certainly were not big sellers then either - certainly not for that track.

I was more wondering if anyone had any knowledge of it ever being popular in the States, maybe just on a regional level.

Although it's not unheard of for record companies to use that type of thing to aid sales.

The Frankie Crocker theory certainly fits with my way of thinking...

John I actually thought it was the opposite, I thought they did repress it for the UK specifically...that was the general consensus back then, they'd heard it was popular so repressed it...I am talking about 39 years ago though and we weren't as well informed as we are now!

Social source share

John I actually thought it was the opposite, I thought they did repress it for the UK specifically...that was the general consensus back then, they'd heard it was popular so repressed it...I am talking about 39 years ago though and we weren't as well informed as we are now!

Like I say though Pete, in recent years there have been tons of copies found in the US with the printed sticker. With the benefit of current knowledge it seems less likely that any repress was specifically for the UK.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!