gazztw

Northern Regional Fashions

Coming from the north west (ie greater Manchester) as a young guy going to the twisted wheel circa 1969 - 1971 we wore suits with 24inch parallel trouses with 2inch turn ups and the ticket pocket had to have its on button down flap,along with the jacket single breasted with a single centre vent in the back (the longer the better) patch pockets again with a 2inch p

flaps including the ticket pocket,wide lapels and as many buttons on the jacket cuffs as possible,then the ubiquitous brogue's or loafer shoes pretty standard gear of the scene, but in order to enhance our look we used to also wear the tiniest berets these were purchased from a local cycling shop (i seem to remember they where sold a French cycling berets) so my question is does any1 on here from the Manchester area remember this dress code? And to expand the question does any1 from anywhere else remember any local add ons that where specific to your part of the country?

Round our way remember the Wheelers wearing the suits but not cycling berets (I'm from Shaw and went to school in Middleton 70/75)

Remember some of the lads going to Wigan 73/4 wearing berets but with Khaman Ghia cords and bomber jackets/ full length leather coats and Simon shirts/vests

The smoothy look, parrallels loafers, barathea's, benny's and slazenger's was done 71/2 if my memory serves me correctly and doc's and Parkers preceded them

By 73 the mop head and flares were coming in with tank tops and penny rounds....when "ship ahoy"..."1990"...and "2+2" were wearing out the stylus on the music centre round our house!

Back street blue the beret thing was more of a variation my m8s and myself adopted in order to look a little cooler and more distinctive (after all it was all about the look) anything to differentiate from the main stream, which went with the whole underground movement that was northern soul!!!!

Veedub cheers for the link m8 I seem to recall we bought ours from "Freeman Hardy & Willis" and the brogues from "Thimsons" both now defunct sadly!!!

I noticed Solatio shoes have just released the Boxtop version ... great looking shoes ..

http://www.littleblueplane.com/solatio/shop/solatio-107s-cherry/

I remember  the version of these most popular round northants originaly had a bar across the back of the heel as did original loafers ,also only one pattern out of the three looks right to me ,we used to call them basketweaves? 

Edited by manusf3a

I loved the 22 or 24 inch parrallels they hit around the time of Skinners,for a while all you could get was black then a few other colours appeared. penny collared shirts,had a few but didnt seem to wear them for very long,the brutus patchwork ones were smart.I remember the first really baggy cords,single waistband,no knee height side pockets to put your hands in after a hard days pushing around wheelbarrows of concrete,they werent Karma cords eitherOf all places there used to be some little clothes shops in Kettering that had cutting edge stuff .The soul,nighter lad fashion was more or less the same as the Corby non soulie but lad who belonged to a large loosely amalgamated firm especially those who would go over to Kettering for nights out say fifty or more.Clothes have always been important as no one would want to be known as a right "Jed",among others of the Corby lads(By the way "Jed", is I believe a Corby term for a right scruffy,trampy,badly dressed so and so,fashion victim supreme  any of those things could get you the title "Ya Jed", Jed comes I believe from the name"Jed Clampett", the beverly hill billy,hillbilly = scruffy ,trampish dressed, hence a "Jed"one who is as previously described! the word has been around for many,many years in Corby and was taken to Norwich by Keith Harpur and Ivan Bomber Miles in the late seventies where it achieved widespread popularity in use for some years,as Keith and Bomber brought it into use by often calling folk"Ya Jed".Next time I see Billy I must ask him if people still use the word in Norwich as they do in Corby.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.