Another Iconic Location Gone Forever

Dave Moore

Guest Carl Dixon

That really is unforgivable. How very sad...it should be a museum. People would flock there. Make part of it still a recording area. But who are we to dictate? What was there beforehand that was demolished to build Sigma? But........if it was viable to record in studios all the time these days, I am sure it would have been used. There is a generation of music fan happy with home recording etc and a generation still playing the stuff from back in the day not necessarily buying new stuff to create an income for labels to go into a recording studio. I would if my stuff sold reasonably. It's a sign of the times. Now I know what my mum and dad feel like.....

Social source share

That really is unforgivable. How very sad...it should be a museum. People would flock there. Make part of it still a recording area. But who are we to dictate? What was there beforehand that was demolished to build Sigma? But........if it was viable to record in studios all the time these days, I am sure it would have been used. There is a generation of music fan happy with home recording etc and a generation still playing the stuff from back in the day not necessarily buying new stuff to create an income for labels to go into a recording studio. I would if my stuff sold reasonably. It's a sign of the times. Now I know what my mum and dad feel like.....

The latest owners were also running the place as a studio/rehearsal space/theatre but it had been refurbished a lot. Joe Tarsias Gold Records were still on the wall on my last visit.   

The city itself should step in in these cases in my opinion.  Americans always comment that we (UK), have so much preserved history but then allow theirs to slip away.  Cameo and PIR were two companies that ran the world as far as US pop music is concerned and did it in different eras.  Something that should be celebrated and preserved for future generations.   The destruction of Philly's physical connection to it's glorious musical past is only equalled by Chicago's.   

Shame on them for their short sightedness.

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Yes agreed.

I visited twice and met Buddy Turner from The Formations there in 1999. I tell you, that meeting in the reception area was something on a higher plain for sure. 100% I visited part of the universe never been to then or since. Whatever we have driving us with this music, talking to a 'propducer' in Sigma reception about 'At the top of the stairs' and then he says 'well, I am one of The Formations' and helped write the song at 309, at the top of the stairs!!  I lifted off the floor and went into another dimension in my soul. So SIGMA, you will never be forgotten.

Social source share

how very deja vu.....they ( the yanks ) used to throw their records at us...for 30 odd years until they woke up and realized they were giving away a national treasure...and they've been closing studios for decades without so much as an afterthought. they obviously considered memphis and detroit important enough to preserve stax & motown..how can they be so indifferent about philadelphia, a city that blazed a disco trail through the 70's and into the 80's....the two most prominent features consigned to office furniture and glitzy lobbies.....all that wonderful history...and nothing left to show for it....and who's had it away with the t.s.o.p. sign??........pity it's not winging it's way to prestwich!.... :facepalm:  :rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!