mike

No Long-Term Future For Bbc Licence Fee, Mps Say

Currently £149 a year

The TV licence does not have a long-term future and is likely to be replaced by a new levy within the next 15 years, a group of MPs has said.

The fee is "becoming harder and harder to justify" given changes in the media, according to the House of Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee.

The MPs suggested every household could pay a new compulsory levy instead.

The BBC does not agree that the fee will have to be replaced, but accepts it will probably have to be modernised.

The select committee's proposals were made in a new report about the future of the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31623659

guess changes are on their way 

would you pay for the bbc if had the choice?

Edited by mike

Given the choice, I'd have to say no, I wouldn't pay for the BBC, not in it's current format.  It has continued to benefit from licence payers money even though the amount of actual viewers has fallen year on year.  It needs to be more competitive in today's world, and that won't happen as long as it is guaranteed a fixed income from the British public whether they watch it or not.  They pay their executives and some of their presenters silly money, because they can, not because they earn it.

I have offered to buy a radio license (I don't have a TV) but they seem to have discontinued those some years ago...  I do listen to Radio 4 regularly though and think it's worth paying for...

Currently £149 a year

The TV licence does not have a long-term future and is likely to be replaced by a new levy within the next 15 years, a group of MPs has said.

The fee is "becoming harder and harder to justify" given changes in the media, according to the House of Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee.

The MPs suggested every household could pay a new compulsory levy instead.

would you pay for the bbc if had the choice?

Would somebody like to explain to me the difference between the license

fee and a compulsory levy.

Edited by Kegsy

Would somebody like to explain to me the difference between the license

fee and a compulsory levy.

Off the top of my head, a compulsory levy would be something all households would have to pay, whereas, at the moment, I am completely legally license free...

Off the top of my head, a compulsory levy would be something all households would have to pay, whereas, at the moment, I am completely legally license free...

Precisely, you would have to pay for a service you don't receive, only a bunch

of MP's  could come up with that.

Just put the BBC as a subscription service, which is paid for by those that want it.

It can't be that hard, given that Sky, Virgin etc.  would probably collect the money

on the governments behalf, for a percentage.

It's worth remembering that this isn't a BBC licence, but a TV licence. That's somewhat outdated in a world where you can watch "television" by other means that don't require a TV set.

The fact that the TV licence funds only the BBC is also outdated as there are plenty of other broadcasters out there. What is it today that makes the BBC so special that anyone wanting to watch it must be taxed on the medium through which they watch BBC programmes (the television) rather than have people pay for the channels themselves as is the case with subscription channels.

Taxing the entire UK to fund the BBC is complete nonsense just as charging everyone for subscription channels regardless of whether they want it or not would be commercial stupidity.

The BBC stopped being a domestic UK concern years ago. Instead it's become a significant corporate player in international media markets. It makes programmes for the domestic market but with international sales in mind.

The BBC isn't a utility like gas, electricity or water. Let it live breathe and die under the same free market rules as every other broadcaster and let people pay for it only if they want to watch it.

No I resent paying for this lopsided liberal left leaning crap. They moved to Media City saying it would create zillions of jobs in Salford. I saw an article the other day saying it has created some 200 jobs of about 4000. They pay fortunes to taxi, airfare and trains to get the folks from London to Manchester. Its bloody criminal I think. They justify huge salaries and pat themselves on the back for no good reason.

Let them sink or swim. Much prefer Sky for sports in any case.

The BBC is the only oasis in a world of mediocrity and endless adverts. 

Please God no adverts on the Beeb.  :boxing:

Every night I sit there channel hopping through the endless garbage and repeats. Sometimes I can't find a single channel that isn't showing adverts at the same time.

Adverts should only be shown between programs, I can't stand the constant breaks, ten minutes of adverts followed by "coming up" just ****ing get on with it.  :dash2:

Edited by Quinvy

It's worth remembering that this isn't a BBC licence, but a TV licence. That's somewhat outdated in a world where you can watch "television" by other means that don't require a TV set.

I think its actually called a Broadcast Receiving License and unless

I'm mistaken actually does cover PCs, Gaming consoles etc.

Edited by Kegsy

The rules say that you have to have one if you watch live TV as it is being broadcast -- whether on a TV, laptop, phone, etc.  However, if you only ever use your laptop to watch things on iPlayer AFTER they have been broadcast, you don't need a license.

There are so many random weird things if you actually start reading all the rules for TV licenses -- for example, if you have a second home, and your first home is covered by a license, you can watch TV on your laptop, tablet, phone, etc. in the second home without a second license -- as long as the devices are not plugged into a mains charger while you are watching -- but if you suddenly realise that you forgot to charge your tablet and the football is about to start and you watch it live while it's plugged into the mains charger without a license -- that's illegal...

It really is beyond illogical...

And then when you look at how much money TV Licensing have spent harassing me (and others like me I'm sure) who legally don't need licences -- all that money could have been spent on programming presumably, rather than 5 years of sending me threatening letters...  :g::facepalm:

TV Licence or Broadcast Receiving Licence, according to Wikipedia; although I wouldn't want to hold them up as an authoritative source!  :D 

You are spot on, it does cover the use of equipment not categorised as a TV. What Wikipedia also tells me, and which I didn't know is that the BBC is that the TV Licensing Authority meaning it taxes people in the UK for its own benefit.

In fact, the term TV Licensing is a BBC trademark! Wikipedia states (and quotes) the following:

TV Licensing is a trade mark of the BBC used under licence by companies contracted by the BBC that administer the television licensing system. 

Concerning the relationship of the BBC brand with the TV Licensing brand, the BBC's position is: "The TV Licensing brand is separate from the BBC brand. No link between the two brands should be made in customer facing communications, in particular, use of the BBC name and logo". 

However, it also states that the rules for internal communications and communications with suppliers are different and: "the name BBC TV Licensing may also be used within department names or job titles for BBC employees"

Time to change the name of "TV Licensing" to "Subscriptions Department"!  :thumbup: 

The BBC is the only oasis in a world of mediocrity and endless adverts. 

Please God no adverts on the Beeb.  :boxing:

Every night I sit there channel hopping through the endless garbage and repeats. Sometimes I can't find a single channel that isn't showing adverts at the same time.

Adverts should only be shown between programs, I can't stand the constant breaks, ten minutes of adverts followed by "coming up" just ****ing get on with it.  :dash2:

Thank your lucky stars it's not like American TV.  It takes about 3 hours to watch a 90 minute film.

Thank your lucky stars it's not like American TV.  It takes about 3 hours to watch a 90 minute film.

Most of the half hour American sitcoms only last around 18 minutes without breaks - that means in a 30 minute slot you have 12 minutes of adverts - so that is 60% program and 40% selling you stuff  :huh: 

I don't mind paying the licence fee to avoid the ads

Edited by martyn pitt

Most of the half hour American sitcoms only last around 18 minutes without breaks - that means in a 30 minute slot you have 12 minutes of adverts - so that is 60% program and 40% selling you stuff  :huh: 

I don't mind paying the licence fee to avoid the ads

Alternatively, watch them on catch up, minus the ads.

The bbc is owned by a tory and his vile influence on the dumbed down chav news reporting is disgusting

Its time they financed themselves and start living in the real world

The amount of shite broadcast outweighs the odd quality moment

Too many mumsie chav programmes but then so is c4 and c5

Its a great shame how the bbc has been destroyed

An awful lot of the output of the BBC (TV and Radio) is first rate.

I'm very happy to support it and consider it great value for money.

That's in spite of my growing irritation with its news output and disappointment with some of the television schedules. There is  still stuff worth watching and listening to.

The bbc is owned by a tory and his vile influence on the dumbed down chav news reporting is disgusting

The only way they can finance themselves is by advertising. I don't want that, I'll pay the licence fee.

Really ?

Currently £149 a year The TV licence does not have a long-term future and is likely to be replaced by a new levy within the next 15 years, a group of MPs has said.The fee is "becoming harder and harder to justify" given changes in the media, according to the House of Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee.

The MPs suggested every household could pay a new compulsory levy instead.The BBC does not agree that the fee will have to be replaced, but accepts it will probably have to be modernised.The select committee's proposals were made in a new report about the future of the BBC.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31623659 guess changes are on their waywould you pay for the bbc if had the choice?

Now there's a surprise :wicked: . Knowing people who work for the BBC they seem to live in a different world than us mere mortals. They scrapped the TV licence here about 12 years ago and allowed the state TV to advertise, they do it in between programs and do not have advert breaks during one. There is a case for taking the BBC to court for unfair competition  :D  To be honest tv adverts don't influence me at all, being a pensioner I'm skint anyway  :lol:  :lol: 

The bbc is owned by a tory and his vile influence on the dumbed down chav news reporting is disgusting. Its time they financed themselves and start living in the real world. The amount of shite broadcast outweighs the odd quality moment. Too many mumsie chav programmes but then so is c4 and c5. Its a great shame how the bbc has been destroyed

Wasn't aware that the BBC was owned by anyone, who is it ?

The Tv license works out at £2.87 per week, surely there is enough on te Beeb to justify that?  

That's fine and dandy, but why not let people subscribe through Sky/Virgin etc.

If they don't pay they don't get the programmes,simple as.

No T.V.license prosecutions clogging up the courts, nobody given a criminal

record for not paying, no pen pushers collecting/chasing the money.

Its all very simple, so why can't a bunch of MPs come up with a sensible solution ?.

The Tv license works out at £2.87 per week, surely there is enough on te Beeb to justify that?  

Then why not let people pay for it a week at a time? If their fave series has come to an end and there's nothing special they want to watch, no problem. They just don't pay until there's something good on again.  :thumbup: 

I pay £72 a month for my virgin media package. Which allows me to watch countless t.v. channels so why should I have to pay for the privilege of watching bbc separately.

Steve

You already do pay via the T.V.license.

You already do pay via the T.V.license.

I know but why should I. The bbc is no different than all the other channels. Endless repeats , news channel that's so safe in its reporting of anything. The only thing that the bbc is good at is its wildlife documentaries out of its Bristol natural history department.

Steve

I know but why should I. The bbc is no different than all the other channels. Endless repeats , news channel that's so safe in its reporting of anything. The only thing that the bbc is good at is its wildlife documentaries out of its Bristol natural history department.

Steve

Perhaps because there would be no BBC if people didn't pay.

Perhaps because there would be no BBC if people didn't pay.

They can get customers on a subscription basis and fund new programmes from the ongoing sale of broadcasting and commercial distribution rights of their nearly 100 years of TV, just as they do now.

They can get customers on a subscription basis and fund new programmes from the ongoing sale of broadcasting and commercial distribution rights of their nearly 100 years of TV, just as they do now.

Isn't that what i said in post #30 ?

Isn't that what i said in post #30 ?

And it's what I said in post 11, reinforced in post 31 and repeated in post 36.

Not sure why you're suggesting that without the licence fee there would be no BBC when sensible alternatives have been put forward by both of us.

Not sure why you're suggesting that without the licence fee there would be no BBC when sensible alternatives have been put forward by both of us.

Actually I'm was replying to someone who said he why should he pay the license fee to watch the BBC.

Posts 33 & 34.

That's fine and dandy, but why not let people subscribe through Sky/Virgin etc.

If they don't pay they don't get the programmes,simple as.

No T.V.license prosecutions clogging up the courts, nobody given a criminal

record for not paying, no pen pushers collecting/chasing the money.

Its all very simple, so why can't a bunch of MPs come up with a sensible solution ?.

Then why not let people pay for it a week at a time? If their fave series has come to an end and there's nothing special they want to watch, no problem. They just don't pay until there's something good on again.  :thumbup: 

I wouldn't and don't have a problem with paying it anyway you want, weekly, monthly, subscription etc etc.  I was simply sayng it was worth that after questions over the quality.

Steve

steve , if you want repeats they are all on your satalite channels , some channels thats all they show , if it wasn't for the sport  , or more to the point football  , i don't think there would be a sky channel , i have virgin also , only my opinion of course , :thumbsup:

I think it's worth preserving in it's current state. They do good programmes for the minorities the sort that commercial companies wouldn't bother with due to low audiences resulting in low advertising rates. Mind I can appreciate that people resent paying the fee if they don't watch the programmes or listen to the radio. Personal I think they're missing out. Ade

I wouldn't and don't have a problem with paying it anyway you want, weekly, monthly, subscription etc etc.  I was simply sayng it was worth that after questions over the quality.

It wasn't a pop at you - just a contribution to the discussion as a whole.  :wink: 

More repeats than the BBC.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.